Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 04:59   #1

What to Pack for a 3 Month Crew Position?

Hello Community,

I've recently found myself a crew position on a 42' mono heading from Cairns, Australia over the top end to Darwin and then on to Indonesia. I'm about 7 weeks from leaving and want to make sure I'll have everything I need and nothing I don't.

What's the advice from the community on this one? It's my first time crewing on a long journey of this kind. I have my own lifejacket with harness and tether. I'm currently looking at foulies but wonder if the warm weather should affect this choice. I'm looking for advice on personal medical kit and if I need spares of anything.

I'd also like to buy the Owner / Skipper a gift for having me aboard but knowing space is precious I don't just want to get Him any old piece of junk.

I'd love to know your thoughts.

Pete.
Pete_Winning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:13   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: What to pack for a 3 month crew position?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Pete.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:21   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What to pack for a 3 month crew position?

Hi Pete... Welcome to CF..
Enjoy the trip mate..

As to the list...
A decent waterproof jacket and light W/proof over trousers should be more than adequate...
As to med's.. see your doctor for any jabs and get his advice on what drugs/creams etc to carry for personals...
I usually just carry an assorted box of Band Aids and 100 Paracetamols...
Also check what the boat/skipper carries.. why spend if its already on board..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:34   #4

Wet wipes
Sun block
Kindle
Knife
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:37   #5

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Your Personal Medical Kit should include: Cotton swabs, iodine solution, scissors (blunt/sharp blades combo), forceps (for removing spines/sea urchins), band-aid (different sizes), bandages, brush/toothpaste, talcum powder, liquid soap, small mirror, 10% hydro-cortisone tube, suntan lotion SPF 50+, sunglasses (polarized), by prescription --> antibiotics (wound infection/middle ear infection/dental infection), pain killers (Percoset, Darvon, Hydrocodone/Vicodin), lancets (to break/drain abscesses), in addition to all the needed prescription that you regularly need, including over the counter medications (cold&flu /nasal/ ibuprofen/aspirin). Remember to clean and keep any wounds dry, to avoid infection. As for a gift to the captain...a wide brim sailor's hat, with the brass "port holes" for air flow/ventilation. Bring with you a portable GPS, an IPOD loaded with your favorite music, plenty of batteries, your camera/charger and its spare battery. Bring a phone with a SIM card for the areas you're traveling to. As for clothes...beach attire for a week, but with one set of good clothing (business casual) for a dinner offshore. Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:47   #6
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Winning View Post
Hello Community,

I've recently found myself a crew position on a 42' mono heading from Cairns, Australia over the top end to Darwin and then on to Indonesia. I'm about 7 weeks from leaving and want to make sure I'll have everything I need and nothing I don't.

What's the advice from the community on this one? It's my first time crewing on a long journey of this kind. I have my own lifejacket with harness and tether. I'm currently looking at foulies but wonder if the warm weather should affect this choice. I'm looking for advice on personal medical kit and if I need spares of anything.

I'd also like to buy the Owner / Skipper a gift for having me aboard but knowing space is precious I don't just want to get Him any old piece of junk.

I'd love to know your thoughts.

Pete.
Let's start with the easy one - Rum for the skipper unless you know his favourite tipple or that he doesn't drink.

Spare sunnies and glasses (if required), spare cap(s). I would always pack my own small personal waterproof torch (LED) and batteries (or headtorch) and leather-man style multi-tool.

If you are the cautious type, I would add a PLB (with embedded GPS) permanently attached to harness (PFD?) and a dental check up before departure.

I haven't been to Indonesia for 17 years but I did take 4 or 5 cartoons (200s) of cigarettes and they were very handy in smoothing officialdom back then (I am a non-smoker ); I suggest cigarettes are still popular in Indonesia and officialdom remains the same But let the skipper know before hand and be guided by his views on the subject.

Enjoy the trip.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:54   #7

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Your own little portable radio (am, sw) with ear buds if you prefer talk to music. And batteries.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:34   #8

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply. This has definitely given me things to think about and confirms some things I thought of as necessities. Wet wipes deserves a special mention. I never would have thought of that but can see how handy it'll be.
Pete_Winning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:17   #9

As for foulies - yes you do want to stay dry. Clothes (especially cotton) soaked with saltwater stay damp forever.

This sounds like a warm climate trip. Skip sailing shoes in favour of sandals with closed toes (like Keens). You do not need socks.

Make sure your shots, especially tetanus, are up to date.

Headlamp and flashlight (both with red lenses).
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:07   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Your Personal Medical Kit should include: Cotton swabs, iodine solution, scissors (blunt/sharp blades combo), forceps (for removing spines/sea urchins), band-aid (different sizes), bandages, brush/toothpaste, talcum powder, liquid soap, small mirror, 10% hydro-cortisone tube, suntan lotion SPF 50+, sunglasses (polarized), by prescription --> antibiotics (wound infection/middle ear infection/dental infection), pain killers (Percoset, Darvon, Hydrocodone/Vicodin), lancets (to break/drain abscesses), in addition to all the needed prescription that you regularly need, including over the counter medications (cold&flu /nasal/ ibuprofen/aspirin). Remember to clean and keep any wounds dry, to avoid infection. As for a gift to the captain...a wide brim sailor's hat, with the brass "port holes" for air flow/ventilation. Bring with you a portable GPS, an IPOD loaded with your favorite music, plenty of batteries, your camera/charger and its spare battery. Bring a phone with a SIM card for the areas you're traveling to. As for clothes...beach attire for a week, but with one set of good clothing (business casual) for a dinner offshore. Mauritz
I'd add a Burnshield as gel and an Epi-pen or adrenaline.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 13:02   #11

Boat: Hylas 49
Re: What to Pack for a 3 Month Crew Position?

harness or inflatablee PFB with harness, tether
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 13:10   #12

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Re: What to Pack for a 3 Month Crew Position?

Pete-
I would also recommend you take your own snorkel gear and, if you don't currently own a set, I'd highly encourage you to invest in better-quality equipment - especially a good mask.

My family and I are also heading to Darwin and Indonesia. Perhaps we'll share anchorage.

Good luck, fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew