Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2018, 14:41   #1
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
What if a Locking Tether Safety Clip Doesn't Really Lock?

I can't see a way to post video here, so you will need to view this blog. This video of carabiner testing may make your mouth run dry. I cringed.

https://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2...that-isnt.html

I stopped using these nearly a decade ago because I felt there was better hardware. But I never ran the tests. I should have. I feel bad about that now.

For the complete story, read here:

https://www.practical-sailor.com/iss...y_12371-1.html
Old 28-02-2018, 16:07   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: What if a Locking Tether Safety Clip Doesn't Really Lock?

I'm a fan of the Wichard "carabiners" because you have to press in the backside release to open the clip. That said, I've not tested it in the configuration shown in the videos.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 16:17   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I'm a fan of the Wichard "carabiners" because you have to press in the backside release to open the clip. That said, I've not tested it in the configuration shown in the videos.
I believe Wichard is in the process of phasing out the wire-gate version in favor of the Proline/Proclip series because the wire gate was difficult to operate with gloves or small hands. The gate open was also quite small. The new version can clip a 1-inch rail.

https://www.mauriprosailing.com/us/c...e-Tethers.html

I believe they intend to release US Sailing versions this summer, with a spin shackle at the chest.
Old 28-02-2018, 16:24   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I got tethers with the Wichard wire-gate clips after seeing for myself how easily the non-locking carabiners detatched themselves from a padeye. Yes, they are a bit difficult to work when wearing gloves, or if you don't have a strong grip, but I don't see them detaching as shown in that video. However, the pictures of the twisted shackles has me a little concerned.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:12   #5

Boat: C&C 37

The govt of Ontario (Canada) has instituted mandatory Working at Heights regulations and Training (which I do) for working at more than 3 meters or 10 ft. All carabineers and hooks/clips must have double locking detents and strength levels to be acceptable. They can be operated with one hand, but prevents occasional/unwanted opening. I have changed all attachment retainers on my boat's safety harnesses etc. Falling off a moving boat can be more dangerous and subject you to greater damaging forces than a 10 ft fall.
The other danger is being dragged through the water, particularly if there are waves breaking over your head, face forward. Sailing safety harnesses all attach at the front, which is obviously more practical, so if you can get a life jacket with a face shield, I suggest you do so.
RobertoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:25   #6

Boat: Baltic 52

Does it have to be a marine manufacturer? Take a look at construction safety fall harness equipment made for roofers. Falltech?
Old 01-03-2018, 10:27   #7

The Fall Protection equipment is stronger than most of the marine equivalents I have seen. Some marine equipment seems as strong, with double pressure, release, but not many. Problem with commercial fall protection equipment could be salt water use, but regular maintenance and cleaning/checking will control that. Two concerns with much marine equipment is the lack of double catch release mechanism, and rated load strength. You may weigh 200 lbs, but falling force, and water drag could easily double that.
The other problem is sun/elements degradation of tether lines. Particularly check the line ends and stitching where they attach to the metal parts.
Old 01-03-2018, 23:31   #8

Location: South Africa. currently sailing in the Bahamas and then heading to the Med via Bermuda in May
Boat: Knysna 500SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I can't see a way to post video here, so you will need to view this blog. This video of carabiner testing may make your mouth run dry. I cringed.

https://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2...that-isnt.html

I stopped using these nearly a decade ago because I felt there was better hardware. But I never ran the tests. I should have. I feel bad about that now.

For the complete story, read here:

https://www.practical-sailor.com/iss...y_12371-1.html
Thanks for sharing this Thinwater ........... very informative and scary ..... will follow the release (no pun intended!!) of the new Wichard clip later this year. I have the current Wichard model and will take a good look at the mechanism this weekend.
Lambretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:43   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post

Wichard makes a good product. But the Kong double action clips on the West Marine tethers are easier to open. This makes it easier to change from one side of a jackline attachment point to another or to clip onto a hard point. The easier it is to use a clip, the more likely you are to use it.

I just threw out my 6 year old tether because the elastic was shot and the aluminum clips were showing wear. So I purchased another from WM.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 12:37   #10

Also have a look at Mountaineering carabineers and hooks - weather resistant and lighter. And the trend is to Y configured tethers, so you can hook onto new hard-point before releasing from the current one. One caveat - the tether materials and stitching is degraded by UV rays over time.
Old 04-03-2018, 21:05   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoD View Post
Also have a look at Mountaineering carabineers and hooks - weather resistant and lighter. And the trend is to Y configured tethers, so you can hook onto new hard-point before releasing from the current one. One caveat - the tether materials and stitching is degraded by UV rays over time.
For what it is worth, the Kong Tango carabiners, found on West Marine, Glow Fast, and the new Spinlock Performance Safety Lines, are via ferrata carabiners designed for rock climbing via iron way,s using a Y-lanyard system. This is why they are light, strong, and inexpensive (mass production). What is unique about via ferrata falls is that carabiners are very often cross loaded.

Old 05-03-2018, 04:59   #12

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Wichard makes a good product. But the Kong double action clips on the West Marine tethers are easier to open. This makes it easier to change from one side of a jackline attachment point to another or to clip onto a hard point. The easier it is to use a clip, the more likely you are to use it.
No doubt. Not only do the Richard clips require adequate hand strength, but the configuration of the "hook" at the tip where the gate locks can make them difficult to wrangle off of webbing straps like jacklines. I've gotten used to it over the years but am happy to see the design improved.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 16:59   #13

Boat: Baba 40

Check out the latest issue of Practical Sailor. They did a review of this very subject.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 18:36   #14

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

I used black diamond and petzl twist locking carabiners.
Old 18-03-2018, 19:33   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post

I just threw out my 6 year old tether because the elastic was shot and the aluminum clips were showing wear. So I purchased another from WM.
Remember, we are talking about the new Wichard Proline snaps, not the old wire gate version. They are about the same as the Kong Tangos to open, and somewhat better with gloves. VERY strong, about the same as the Kongs.

I should also mention that there are many manufacturers of clips like the Kong Tango. Look on arborist web sites; they are used a lot for tree work.

(This is a single, but they make all configurations.)

Tags
safety