Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2014, 03:28   #61

Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'
Re: What are the common injuries cruisers encounter?

Very good read and thread. The infections in the tropics would be a new thing for me to think about. Even to wear shoes a studded or broken toe is no good. I can't add to any but it appears good planning to support youself out there medically can make a whole workd of difference. I thunk a ruptured appendix or heart attack would be two of things id hope to never come across.

Any recommendations for sunscreen? What strength or brand anyone favors more?
Wonderinlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 04:13   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

In light of the Rebel Heart situation, we should probably add salmonella and other types of food poisoning to the list.

How does one finalgle strong antibiotics out of your GP?

Also, Epipens (for animal stings) are somewhat universal. My wife has allergic reaction to bee stings, so we can get them that way, but if no one has a prescription, you ought to find a way to put a few in your pack.
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 04:13   #63

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsailor25 View Post
As for guests onboard we do have a safety meeting of where everything is located, what should happen if i get injured, and we also talk about loaded lines and where to sit. The last thing someone needs is a winch or block flying at them.
I did hear an excellent idea somewhere, which escapes me right now, which was to find a copy of your boat's layout diagram (both internal and external) and use this to mark on where all the emergency equipment can be found (such as fire extinguishers, first aid kits, grab bags, life rafts etc). Make a copy for each cabin and one for the saloon, laminate and keep in an obvious place. When the excrement hits the A/C there is nothing better than a simple to follow map of where stuff is rather than trying to remember even the best of safety briefings.

As for sunscreen I'd go for at least 20, applied thickly at least 30mins before exposure and regularly reapplied. If in the tropics then double the SPF, cover up as much as possible and avoid the sun between 11 and 4 as much as possible.

Keiron
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 04:17   #64

Good thread ....
Maybe not in the injury category but allergic reactions can be deadly and in the areas we cruise ciguattera is a concern. Even if you have no known allergies, there's lots of stuff out there you've never been exposed to.

The 'Ship Captain's Medical Guide' is available as a free download. It covers treatment for all kinds of injuries and diseases including STDs which I understand can be common in sailors. Highly recomended (the book that is).
Capt RonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:15   #65

Boat: Various
Re: What are the Common Injuries Cruisers Encounter?

The question was asked about medical kits. There are a number of ways to build one.

Here are a couple of examples of kits:

First this one which is for commercial vessels flagged in the US.

http://www.seasidemarinedrugs.com/pd...0Inventory.pdf

Then this is a great, but outdated link to a post by Dr. Mark Anderson:

cruising_medical_kit

Then you can subscribe to services such as MedAire which not only provide kits but are available for consultation 24/7. Their kits for yachts include:

These kits meet and exceed MCA specification MSN 1768 when the Global OxyKit is included.

Medicines Pack
Trauma Equipment
Vacuum Splint Set
Leg Traction Splint (KTD)
Sam Sling – Pelvic Traction Device
Heart Attack Test Kit
Malaria Test Kit
Blood Pressure: Aneroid Monitor
Wound Management
Emergency Fluid Management
Medical Manual
Medical Management System (MMS) CD

In order to get your doctor to give you the prescriptions for a kit they generally need documents regarding the boat and the captain (can be you) whose control the medical kit will be under plus regarding how it will be controlled and managed. Living in South Florida, many doctors are familiar with the practice. In other areas it may be less common but I'd think in most coastal areas it wouldn't be a problem. MedAire actually vacuum seals to minimize space and keep protected and I do recommend doing the same if you prepare your own kit. Be sure also to take extra of any prescription medicines those on board need. Assume you may have trouble getting refills to you. There are many areas that even if you get locally refilled you may have issues as the dosage may not be as marked. Again, one way of getting refills is to use a service like Brendan's to receive and forward the medications to you.

The one thing I would add is to take a course in Medical Care at Sea. I had never taken any form of first aid course. My wife, as a teacher, did know basics. But we've both now taken courses for Medical First Aid Providers on boats and then Medical Person in Charge. We also subscribe to a support service we can contact in a medical emergency. In addition to immediate access to doctors, they have roughly 72,000 doctors around the world within their network.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 16:08   #66
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
What are the Common Injuries Cruisers Encounter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
In light of the Rebel Heart situation, we should probably add salmonella and other types of food poisoning to the list.

How does one finalgle strong antibiotics out of your GP?

Also, Epipens (for animal stings) are somewhat universal. My wife has allergic reaction to bee stings, so we can get them that way, but if no one has a prescription, you ought to find a way to put a few in your pack.

I go to my GP. With my list of prescription drugs , enough for all the crew , he writes up a big script. The pharmacist fills it.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2014, 16:29   #67

Boat: Gulfstar 43 ketch
Re: What are the Common Injuries Cruisers Encounter?

Excellent information on this thread. Thanks to all who contributed.
kbudd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, enc