Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2016, 13:18   #76

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: Warning to Families and Couples in Tropical Americas: Zika Spreading Fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
Thank you for this thread.

I am deeply disappointed that an important thread about a real medical risk emerging for families cruising in affected areas has somehow degenerated into conspiracy theories and mud slinging.

My wife is 3 months pregnant and we're planning a trip to the sun before the baby is born. We were planning on Mexico since we can't afford Hawaii right now with the Canadian dollar where it is.

I knew Zika was a big problem in Brazil but had no idea that it was in Mexico as well. This thread gave me that knowledge. Hopefully it will also help get the word out the many, many kid boats in the affected areas.
I agree.. Not sure what has happened to CF these days, but seems more fighting than anything else.

I hope you figure something out for a holiday.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 13:32   #77

Boat: Oyster 55

I really don't like applying and wearing insect repellent. Some brands are less objectionable than others. But any repellent with less than 15% DEET may be more of a placebo than a protection. DEET is not toxic to humans, although some people are allergic to it.

The CDC does not recommend spraying insect repellent on skin under clothing, but mosquitos can bite through thin clothing. I haven't tried any of this, but there is some clothing on the market that is treated with permethrin and becomes an insect repellent. You can also buy permethrin in liquid or spray form and apply it to your clothing.
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 13:33   #78

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I'm wondering whether most of us have grown up just finding being bitten a nuisance, and so, don't like mozzies, but also do not rate them as something highly dangerous, to be taken seriously? That's really a huge attitude change to effect, and I would think public health services would have a large role to play.

However, for yachties, all openiings to the boat must be screened if you're going to open them. (The screens on our ports are not really good, and we leave them closed.)
You can make a mosquito net enclosure for your cockpit. It will cut down airflow somewhat, but it will give your "patio" back. Apply DEET or Picaridin before leaving the net protections. Remember to put screening in the Dorade vents. Wear light colored clothing, and spray it with repellent, if there's a bad problem, so the mozzies won't light on you and bite you where you don't see them.

A.
Old 27-01-2016, 14:14   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
I'm wondering whether most of us have grown up just finding being bitten a nuisance, and so, don't like mozzies, but also do not rate them as something highly dangerous, to be taken seriously? That's really a huge attitude change to effect, and I would think public health services would have a large role to play.

However, for yachties, all openiings to the boat must be screened if you're going to open them. (The screens on our ports are not really good, and we leave them closed.)
You can make a mosquito net enclosure for your cockpit. It will cut down airflow somewhat, but it will give your "patio" back. Apply DEET or Picaridin before leaving the net protections. Remember to put screening in the Dorade vents. Wear light colored clothing, and spray it with repellent, if there's a bad problem, so the mozzies won't light on you and bite you where you don't see them.

A.
Good advise Ann. Thank you. Reports are that it is now in the United States and parts of Europe. I don't think even Governments realize the impact this disease may have. Can you imagine whole countries and continents being infected causing for years baby deformities. This is potentially like something out of a science fiction horror movie. I do hope it fades away.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 14:29   #80
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
Good advise Ann. Thank you. Reports are that it is now in the United States and parts of Europe. I don't think even Governments realize the impact this disease may have. Can you imagine whole countries and continents being infected causing for years baby deformities. This is potentially like something out of a science fiction horror movie. I do hope it fades away.
I think Govs. do realize the impact...They are now saying that women should not have babies until 2018! Sounds like a way to control population..( if only they would listen) Do most folks in "developing countries" plan pregnancies ?
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 14:48   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Do we really have to have this thread degenerate into some slanging match about relative source quality? Anyhow… I used to edit Wikipedia plenty. I also used to teach Philosophy at university level, sit on the editorial boards of various academic journals and publish and edit philosophical and scientific papers, so I have a few editorial skills. Your faith is misplaced. Wikipedia is full of pundits, paid publicists, professional partisan editors, cranks and self promoters. And no, their edits are not always obvious, but designed to be subtle precisely so they will not be rapidly removed. I have been in enough edit wars on Wikipedia to know of what I speak. Have you? It is useful as a general rough tool, but does it beat the CDC for example, on this sort of topic? Please. Your very faith in its veracity and accuracy (so very common as it is among net users) combined with its open edit nature and the power inherent in the control of knowledge and slant precisely shows how its reliability is inevitably and constantly questionable. Anyhow that is the last I will comment on this distracting sub thread.
Spot on MF.

On my recent return to Uni, it was made absolutely clear that any reference to Wiki in work would result in an instant fail due to its unreliability.

All too frequently, "I heard someone say down the pub" seems a far more reliable source than Wiki.

As for Zika, my cruising plans now include:

* Plenty of Deet;
* A zapper (maybe two, one for the cockpit and one for below decks);
* A good stock of mosquito nets.

PS I've been worried about this since someone posted here about it being in Cape Verde, as I was planning on stopping over there on the way back. Hopefully it stays away from the Canaries, Madeira, and the Azores.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 15:40   #82

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I think Govs. do realize the impact...They are now saying that women should not have babies until 2018! Sounds like a way to control population..( if only they would listen) Do most folks in "developing countries" plan pregnancies ?
Since Brazil has a lower fertility rate than the US, (1.8 vs 1.9), maybe the question is whehter folks in "the united states" plan pregnancies?
Old 27-01-2016, 16:12   #83
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Since Brazil has a lower fertility rate than the US, (1.8 vs 1.9), maybe the question is whehter folks in "the united states" plan pregnancies?
Yes my point along..I wonder how many folks in the US Plan - verses - It just happens...The Govs. of some Carribean/South American countries have told people to not plan on having children until 2018(sceptical as to how many would do that as I believe most of the countries involved have a high Catholic population; plus it aint natural) ...Seems like they wasted their breath unless they know that a percentage of the population will "plan on not having children until 2018" through the very mentioning of the statement...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 18:27   #84

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Thank you for this thread.

I am deeply disappointed that an important thread about a real medical risk emerging for families cruising in affected areas has somehow degenerated into conspiracy theories and mud slinging.

My wife is 3 months pregnant and we're planning a trip to the sun before the baby is born. We were planning on Mexico since we can't afford Hawaii right now with the Canadian dollar where it is.

I knew Zika was a big problem in Brazil but had no idea that it was in Mexico as well. This thread gave me that knowledge. Hopefully it will also help get the word out the many, many kid boats in the affected areas.
You are most welcome! And I am very glad that it seems to have raised awareness in a good way, in some potentially directly affected. Thanks for the thanks!
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 20:02   #85

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Aside from the Canadian dollar being in the toilet, its a bad idea to fly while pregnant. Period. Sure, "they" say you can...but the pressure changes induce labour, and the baby can be lost...in any trimester. Is it really worth the risk?
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 20:17   #86

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Aside from the Canadian dollar being in the toilet, its a bad idea to fly while pregnant. Period. Sure, "they" say you can...but the pressure changes induce labour, and the baby can be lost...in any trimester. Is it really worth the risk?
Since "they" are medical professionals who are very conservative and data driven, I will choose to believe "them"

Chris - SailMentor.com
Old 28-01-2016, 01:19   #87

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

This thread is only about terror if you want it to be: otherwise, it is about sensible prevention of mosquito bites, and to a lesser extent of identifying the species of mosquitoes that transmit diseases. That latter knowledge is available, but you have to dig for it. We have the small white bands on the aegyptii's legs, and the legs aloft biting position of the anopheles, and I will add, the Ross River transmitting mosquito is large, beige in color, with creamy white bands, altogether, a flashy mozzie!

Ann
Old 28-01-2016, 05:32   #88

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
So I've been trying cinnamon which is an anti inflammatory. I will now add turmeric to my diet. I'm already impressed with the results of the cinnamon. :-)

Thanks again and regards,
Chaya

Sorry to all for the slight digression off topic. But you know you now have perhaps a natural treatment in conjunction with medicine to help fight joint inflammation and pain from those awful mosquito carried diseases
Chaya,
Sorry to hear about your ordeal.
Perhaps you knew this already but...
Cinnamon powder is yummy in tea.... and especially in coffee..!
It can work as a substitute for sugar in some situations.
I'm using it every day, although I'm not sick.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 05:41   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zven View Post
Chaya,
Sorry to hear about your ordeal.
Perhaps you knew this already but...
Cinnamon powder is yummy in tea.... and especially in coffee..!
It can work as a substitute for sugar in some situations.
I'm using it every day, although I'm not sick.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk
Zven. Thank you for your kind words. I will take your lead and add cinnamon with my coffee. I will continue with the high dose tablets for the time being and add to my cappuccino's. As it is I don't use sugar. Went cold turkey on that drug about 20 years ago. :big grin:

Regards,
Chaya
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 11:08   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sea View Post
I really don't like applying and wearing insect repellent. Some brands are less objectionable than others. But any repellent with less than 15% DEET may be more of a placebo than a protection. DEET is not toxic to humans, although some people are allergic to it.

The CDC does not recommend spraying insect repellent on skin under clothing, but mosquitos can bite through thin clothing. I haven't tried any of this, but there is some clothing on the market that is treated with permethrin and becomes an insect repellent. You can also buy permethrin in liquid or spray form and apply it to your clothing.
I try to keep DEET off my skin since I get a slight rash from the chemical. Instead I spray my clothes. This obviously not so useful with mosquitoes that go after exposed skin.

I use DEET and Permethrin on clothes to keep off ticks and chiggers or as I call them tiggers.

Our area is covered in ticks and chiggers. Going in the woods, or even the yard, during the summer means you will find at least some ticks on you. Venture into tall grass or brush from June to September and chiggers are almost certain to get you as well. DEET or Permetrin will keep them at bay.

The nice thing about Permethrin is that you can spray or soak your clothes and the chemical will still repel/kill tiggers after quite a few washings. My understanding is the US military treat fatigues with Permethrin. The stuff does work.

Out door stores sell Pemetrhin as do farm supply stores.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal