Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2014, 19:03   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
VHF in Queensland?

When we came up the coast from Sydney we stayed in contact with Marine Rescue all the way, logging on and off with stations as we went.

When we came into Queensland I contacted VMR Southport ("Seaway Tower") and logged off with them - no worries.

However as we moved further north it became functionally impossible to contact any of the VMR's. We just did not get a response.

I had done a few radio checks on Ch 16 in Sydney and while sometimes transmission and reception was less than perfect the radio seems to be working fine.

I did another radio check from where we are now to the local Coastguard a week or so ago and received a cordial response that we were being received 5/5 which I understand to be loud and clear.

Wanting my wife to be conversant with radio procedure I got her to try recently for a radio check on Ch73, however there was no response.

She tried again on my urging on Ch 16 and the question was were we in trouble. At this point I took over and assured the operator that there was no trouble and was told to get off Ch 16.

So is there any proper way to get in contact with VHF stations in Queensland, or have I just been unlucky?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 19:08   #2

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler
Re: VHF in Queensland?

You either had a response from another yacht or a very rude VMR operator. In Sydney they would have politely asked you to move to a new channel for the check.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 22:04   #3

That makes no sense. Channel 16 is for calling and emergency, I have never heard of anyone being berated for calling on 16. In fact y he further north you go when 80 and 82 come into play you need to use 16 to find out which channel to use. I would guess you where answered by an unlicensed Bogan.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 23:26   #4

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser

It is firstly a volunteer operation but outside of their normal hours it is taken over by professionals who will respond if the need arises. The coverage is very good & except for a few stations you will get good SAR watch. You need to ensure what radio proceedures are used around the main shipping harbours and ports.
regards.

Regards Bill
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 23:47   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Good information on coverage here:

Cruising Queensland

You may have run into this with your radio check:

"VMR’s provide coverage in these areas between 0600 and 1800 hours, 7 days, and also
provide weather information. From 1800 to 0600 the VMR’s hand over VHF 16 listening watch to Port Control Stations at Whyte Island (near Brisbane) and Hay Point (near Mackay), for emergency traffic only."

Note the last four words
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 23:51   #6

Boat: Van de stadt 40

this may help, it lists the vmr stations which vhf and hf channels are used as well as phones numbers, i keep a copy next to the radio

regards steve
Attached Files
File Type: doc Marine radio contacts Volunteer rescue stations.doc (111.0 KB, 78 views)
van demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 00:44   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Boracay,

I'm sorry your good lady had a bad experience with the Qld VMRs. We have not.* In fact, as you get a bit further north, you have some wonderful weather guys, Rocky Met (out of Rockhampton), and the local VMRs announce their transmissions and then move off to VHF Ch 21 or 22 depending on where you are. Great stuff.

Enjoy your sojourn northbound.

Ann

* on edit: they are volutneers, and sometimes they may not give accurate advice, therefore it is wise to pay close attention to the charts, and not stray into shallows unaware. As you get further north, the tidal range is greater, and the onshore set in SE breezes can be a factor.
Old 25-05-2014, 01:23   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Good information on coverage here:

Cruising Queensland

You may have run into this with your radio check:

"VMR’s provide coverage in these areas between 0600 and 1800 hours, 7 days, and also
provide weather information. From 1800 to 0600 the VMR’s hand over VHF 16 listening watch to Port Control Stations at Whyte Island (near Brisbane) and Hay Point (near Mackay), for emergency traffic only."

Note the last four words
Take care with this as it is 12 years old and some of it is out of date and/or no longer exists. 16 is still you all location calling and emergency channel. For upto date information go to the AMSA web site.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 15:03   #9

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

Boar cay
We are near the top of the Sandy Straits at the moment having sailed up from Brisbane over the last week.We have managed to communicate on VHF with every VMR and Coastguard base on the way.However very poor signal outside double ISland point .
Most up here seem to be using 73,80 and 82.HF however has been dead again thinking about selling it and buying a sat phone.
Chris
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 16:47   #10

Between Brisbane and Wide Bay, suggest you use 73 or the Repeater frequencies 81,82.

There is a "hole" in reception around Double Island Point, so that one calls Tincan Bay VMR on 82 5NM south of DIP and again approaching Way Point 1 for the Wide Bay Bar.

On the outside of Fraser, reception gets poor north of Indian Head and remains so until you are clear of Sandy Cape where VMR Bundaberg will be on 80/81. North of Bundaberg is 81/82.
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
queensland, vhf