Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2016, 16:51   #16

Re: US health insurance in Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kiernan View Post
Stu, my apologies if I came off agressive in that last post. I'm trying to figure out if I need to keep up 12 monthly payments for this "required" healthcare" crap if it's not going to be any good elsewhere. Your right, I will have to call our provider to figure out the ins and outsThanks for your answers.

Joe
Joe, much appreciated. Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 17:27   #17

Boat: Alajuela 38 Cutter

Thanks all for responding. I'll be calling the provider here in WA and will post what I find out.
Comix Bay, this BCAA you referred to, is it usable anywhere in Mexico? What do you get and for about how much? You've got my curiosity going.
Joe Kiernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 19:55   #18

Boat: Lazy-Boy, fold out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kiernan View Post
Thanks all for responding. I'll be calling the provider here in WA and will post what I find out.
Comix Bay, this BCAA you referred to, is it usable anywhere in Mexico? What do you get and for about how much? You've got my curiosity going.
It was just a normal travel medical and evacuation insurance, purchased through the BCAA, or could have bought it through the bank (RBC) or travel agent, good anywhere. We bought for various trips to Europe, USA, Costa Rica & Mexico. Trips were by train, plane and boat. Covered you from door step to door step. Some treatments did required pre authorization, but that was all covered in the brochure. Price depends on age, prior conditions and duration of trip. Like the AMEX commercial says, never leave home without it!!! Or was that VISA??? Also, just thought about it, our house insurance also has medical insurance (trip insurance) with it.

Ted
Comox, BC
Comix Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 10:57   #19

Boat: Cheoy Lee, Luders 36

In many/most cases you will have to pay the medical expenses personally then submit for reimbursement. However, since you will most likely be "out of network", your reimbursement rate is going to be much less (instead of 70% reimbursement, you would get 50%). Further, "out of network" doesn't use "usual and customary" because they have no control on what is usual and customary. I would consider purchasing one of the health insurance policies specifically for travelers, good in the part of the world you choose. They are usually very inexpensive, but typically don't cover the small stuff.
Sailsarefull is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
health, health insurance, insurance, Mexico