Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011, 06:36   #1
Armchair Bucketeer

Tethered Transition from Cockpit to Sidedecks . . .

Probably obvious to everyone else, but just dawned on me

I am not a fan of the underfoot jacklines along the sidedecks, especially that the "give" in the lines often extends overboard . but main advantage is they extend back to the cockpit

My idea is that the jacklines (or a single line?) be run to the mast along the cabin deck (roof!) and ending outside the dodger / spray hood.......leaving the challenge of how to transition from cockpit to deck whilst always being clipped on.........as dual tethers on a harness are not new (one longer & one shorter), the answer seems to be - clip on in the cockpit (with the long tether) and when on the sidedeck clip on (to the Jackline) with the shorter tether, and then (this is the bit which has only just dawned on me ) unclip the longer tether from your harness. (and clip it back on during your return trip).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:42   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Re: Tethered transition from cockpit to sidedecks........

We use two jacklines (flat and visble at night) from stern to bow one on each side. Always using harness when offshore, or at night. Getting on deck only if necessary and only on the windward side and tether hooked to the jackline
Old 09-11-2011, 06:50   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Tethered transition from cockpit to sidedecks........

Sounds like a plan my man.... what about the foredeck... or will the single line extend beyond the mast....
DOJ.... is it raining again...??

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:54   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
While I and others use the standard jackstays on the port and starboard decks, I agree David that they are far from ideal and actually do nothing to stop you from going over.

Agree with your idea. Can be hard to do as the reach around the spray hood can be outside the tether length. I've tried two offset jackstays on the coachroof but they foul all the hatches

The best I've seen was two dedicated aluminium T tracks on the coach roof and you clipped to a slider. Great system

Dave
Old 09-11-2011, 06:55   #5

Boat: Nassau 34

I run a short one from the bow to the mast, then another one along the top of the deck to the cockpit on either side of the deck like Alecadi does, then a short on ein the cockpit. Use a 2 tether harness - . What I like about this arrangement- is that if I'm attached I can NEVER even remotely fall over the side. Never had any problems with this arrangement.
Bluemansailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:59   #6

I use bow and stern jacklines each side with a pad eye on the side decks at the mast. Less stretch or room to slide. The stern jackline goes to a pad eye easily reached from the cockpit. Most of the time, I'm only going to the mast (actually, most of the time I'm not leaving the cockpit)

I go forward on the windward side in a low crouch with the short tether on the jackline. At the mast I clip on to the pad eye with the long tether or to the mast itself. If I have to go farther forward, I then move the short tether to the forward jackline.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:59   #7
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
We use two jacklines (flat and visble at night) from stern to bow one on each side. Always using harness when offshore, or at night. Getting on deck only if necessary and only on the windward side and tether hooked to the jackline
I know someone for whom tethering saved is life. HOWEVER, the tether was very short. He wrapped it around the mast while he was reefing in a sudden and very bad blow.

He got knocked off his feet. He landed on the catwalk and went PARTLY through the lifelines, but the tether, wrapped was too short to leave him being dragged by a boat in a bad storm.

I have double lifelines and netting. I would keep the tether short as he did, and I check that the netting is secure periodically. I crawl when I have to move forward in rough seas.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:01   #8
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Sounds like a plan my man.... what about the foredeck... or will the single line extend beyond the mast....
I use one LONG jackline (I use line, not flat, right along the edge of the cabin attached at the front with a figure-8 loop. I use a trucker's hitch at each end.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:08   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I use one LONG jackline (I use line, not flat, right along the edge of the cabin attached at the front with a figure-8 loop. I use a trucker's hitch at each end.
In my opinion I prefer flat because they don't roll under your feet
Trucker's hitch also so that I can easily tighten the lines
Old 09-11-2011, 07:11   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Tethered transition from cockpit to sidedecks........

Why does everyone insist on walking up the windward side when going forward....
If one use's the Lee side... one leans inwards towards the hand holds... steps are one braced by toe rail, next by stanchion etc... and if you slip by some remote chance you fall the right way for quick response... not on your ass...
No wonder you guys need life lines...
you gotta bend below natural balance for hand holds... your bodies are leaning outboard... a smack on the side and you can get bounced downhill...
Very safe...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:22   #11
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

Not a lot to do on the foredeck But was thinking could always have a spare tether kept at the mast.

Quote:
Hint taken
Old 09-11-2011, 16:10   #12

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Tethered Transition from Cockpit to Sidedecks . . .

In your coach roof plan, you have a padeye at your feet at the helm, two padeyes on the cockpit bulkhead forward, port and starboard, and two padeyes on the sides of the coach house, port and starboard. That should give you, with a bit of experimentation, the ability to clip on to the new hard point before unclipping the old.

And if all that bugs you, go with the flat webbing running at the break of both sidedecks and use the 3 foot tether, going forward in an ape-like crouch!
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 16:34   #13

In smaller boats like mine I simply have one tether secured to a point in cockpit and another secured to mast base, simply hook to the other and realease the one you are on to tranition. An additional short tether clipped to harness can go around the mast when you get there or clip to another point as needed. Easy to rig and derig and no dragging hooks along deck.
blgklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:31   #14
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
In your coach roof plan, you have a padeye at your feet at the helm, two padeyes on the cockpit bulkhead forward, port and starboard, and two padeyes on the sides of the coach house, port and starboard. That should give you, with a bit of experimentation, the ability to clip on to the new hard point before unclipping the old.

And if all that bugs you, go with the flat webbing running at the break of both sidedecks and use the 3 foot tether, going forward in an ape-like crouch!
The problem I have with that approach is the padeyes on the side of the coachhouse, I appreciate can get folding - but they won't always .....and I have enough stuff to hurt myself on as it is
Old 10-11-2011, 03:37   #15
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgklr View Post
In smaller boats like mine I simply have one tether secured to a point in cockpit and another secured to mast base, simply hook to the other and realease the one you are on to tranition. An additional short tether clipped to harness can go around the mast when you get there or clip to another point as needed. Easy to rig and derig and no dragging hooks along deck.
That's a new one to me. Cheers

Last night thought of the idea of running a jackline under the boom (it extends over the cockpit....right up to the mast )......the obvious downsides are rig failure (remote enough to ignore) and an unexpected Gybe........."DOJ is overboard, he's back on onboard - oops he's back overboard again" ......but I guess that can be mostly addressed by not clipping on when goosewinging (or similar).

Time yet to mull things over into action........cheers folks

Tags
Jacklines, cockpit