Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2017, 13:33   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Swimming With Caution

There's a croc thread here on CF, a Google Custom search should find it for you. One croc has been reported as far south in Qld as the Mary River, inside Fraser Is., south of Hervey Bay. It was seen to take a cow.

Qld also has box jellyfish and irukanji jellies to concern yourself with. Salties have been known to swim to the offshore islands.

This is not to say to not ever swim, but avoid murky water, avoid swimming when there aren't a number of people in the water, and read up on croc habits. The Northern Territory has some interesting data posted on the salties.

A
Old 02-07-2017, 16:12   #17

Location: Currently wintering in Kettering south of Hobart in Tasmania so already established for the Wooden Boat Festival in 2019
Boat: Joe Adams Naut 40

Theway - swimming in Qld is a daily event for thousands of people. We have cruised north to Lizard Island and dived most places on the way. Never swim in estuaries near mangroves as this is where jellyfish spawn and crocs lurk.

Check with the locals and other cruisers. For instance we swam both north and south of Cook Town but would not swim in the river there because crocs were active.

Stinger suits are now common in the Whitsunday islands and I have worn mine only once, for sun protection as much as anything.

cheers Sue
sapient sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:08   #18

We swam with the boto dolphins in the Amazon. Totally cool though a little freaky.

True story: We take a 20' aluminum outboard boat from the lodge and head up river about 20 miles. After a while the driver slows down and is looking around. Finally he spots and indian in a dug out canoe (really) and asks directions. The water level drops by around 30' in the dry season and he couldn't find the channel to a side tributary.

So after stopping for directions, we go a few miles up this side branch and we stop where a caiman is chomping on something large. Our guide said he was about 12' long.

After a bit of watching we take off again...only to stop around the next bend where some locals have a raft made of giant logs (maybe 5-6' in diameter) with a hut built on it. Some of the kids are on the back fishing for Piranha.

Now if you've been to disney or any of the dolphin encounters, they give you a long safety lecture and you have to wear a life jacket, etc... They pointed us to the bathroom to change, which was basically a small room with a hole in the floor. On the way out they handed you a pool noodle and pointed you to the front of the raft (piranha fishing in the back of course). The water is so murky, you literally can't see your hands an inch below the surface and you can't touch bottom.

One of the sons, maybe 12yrs old, dives in and waves us in. Then mom comes out with a basket of fish and tosses one to him. He grabs it by the tail and starts smacking against the water (the previous day we were piranha fishing and they told us to smack the end of the pole in the water to get the fish biting).

So we are floating around this kid smacking a fish against the water, when a set of jaws emerges to snatch the fish out of his hand. Well mom keeps tossing him fish but now you feel the dolphins bumping against your feet as you are floating.

Towards the end, I'm floating with my hands just below the surface when I feel one lightly grab my finger...then chomp...he bites the tip. Now they just have little peg shaped teeth and he just catches the tip but it's time to get out with bleeding in the water.

Even the mom was a little excited as she grabbed me as I was getting out of the water and squeezed my finger to flush it with blood and dumped what I think was 1/2 a bottle of iodine on my hand.

So I have survived a dolphin attack on the amazon...and I'd go back in a heartbeat.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:25   #19

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapient sue View Post
Theway - swimming in Qld is a daily event for thousands of people. We have cruised north to Lizard Island and dived most places on the way. Never swim in estuaries near mangroves as this is where jellyfish spawn and crocs lurk.

Check with the locals and other cruisers. For instance we swam both north and south of Cook Town but would not swim in the river there because crocs were active.

Stinger suits are now common in the Whitsunday islands and I have worn mine only once, for sun protection as much as anything.

cheers Sue
Locals obviously have a big advantage in such matters. Visitors only see the croc and jellyfish warning signs and really don't know how real the danger is. A serious question, other than crocs is there is any particular reason why Aussie cruisers use tinnies instead of inflatables? We noticed that Aussies in distant parts of the world often have inflatables but in Queensland and NT, tinnies seemed to be the norm.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:06   #20

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
We swam with the boto dolphins in the Amazon. Totally cool though a little freaky.

True story: We take a 20' aluminum outboard boat from the lodge and head up river about 20 miles. After a while the driver slows down and is looking around. Finally he spots and indian in a dug out canoe (really) and asks directions. The water level drops by around 30' in the dry season and he couldn't find the channel to a side tributary.

So after stopping for directions, we go a few miles up this side branch and we stop where a caiman is chomping on something large. Our guide said he was about 12' long.

After a bit of watching we take off again...only to stop around the next bend where some locals have a raft made of giant logs (maybe 5-6' in diameter) with a hut built on it. Some of the kids are on the back fishing for Piranha.

Now if you've been to disney or any of the dolphin encounters, they give you a long safety lecture and you have to wear a life jacket, etc... They pointed us to the bathroom to change, which was basically a small room with a hole in the floor. On the way out they handed you a pool noodle and pointed you to the front of the raft (piranha fishing in the back of course). The water is so murky, you literally can't see your hands an inch below the surface and you can't touch bottom.

One of the sons, maybe 12yrs old, dives in and waves us in. Then mom comes out with a basket of fish and tosses one to him. He grabs it by the tail and starts smacking against the water (the previous day we were piranha fishing and they told us to smack the end of the pole in the water to get the fish biting).

So we are floating around this kid smacking a fish against the water, when a set of jaws emerges to snatch the fish out of his hand. Well mom keeps tossing him fish but now you feel the dolphins bumping against your feet as you are floating.

Towards the end, I'm floating with my hands just below the surface when I feel one lightly grab my finger...then chomp...he bites the tip. Now they just have little peg shaped teeth and he just catches the tip but it's time to get out with bleeding in the water.

Even the mom was a little excited as she grabbed me as I was getting out of the water and squeezed my finger to flush it with blood and dumped what I think was 1/2 a bottle of iodine on my hand.

So I have survived a dolphin attack on the amazon...and I'd go back in a heartbeat.
Great story! Were you up the Solimoes or Rio Negro? I had a similar encounter, we were on the Rio Negro, high water season and in among the flooded jungle is where the dolphins would browse for food. But I was not inclined to jump in with them! Every little kid was in the water or tiny dugout there though.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:20   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by theway View Post
Yeah, I guess another thing is that bigger sharks usually want deeper water, crocs don't seem to mind.
Been watchongvideos in SoCal where several 6' + Great Whites were in shallow water around swimmers, caught by drone camera. The Bulls in Florida come in very shallow.
Also watched a sailing video where the guy, doing a good shuffle, still got stung bad by a stingray along Mexico.
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:51   #22

Boat: a sailing boat

Australia because of salties and other nice creatures.

Fresh tropical waters because of amoebas and parasites.

RSA SE coast because of great whites.

Anything N or S of respective tropics, because of water temps. ;-)

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 20:27   #23

I've recently returned from a cruise in Northern QLD (I also live in North QLD). We started in Cooktown and worked out way up to Lizard. Unfortunately, the situation with the crocs are changing. Usually, they leave the rivers to find a mate and return, thereby allowing swimmers to make an informed decision about the dangers of swimming at the beach. This is becoming less common as croc numbers have increased significantly, and people are now finding crocs on beaches during odd times of the year. As an example during our trip we stopped off at an island that was a significant distance from the mainland and we were stalked by a croc while we had some sun-downers on the beach. It was a little terrifying. Furthermore, the enclosures provided are usually only for jellyfish. You'll be able to find news stories of crocs swimming inside the enclosures with people. In regards to the jellyfish, you are safer away from the mainland except after a full moon where they are drawn out to the reef (as evidenced by the three deaths on the barrier Reef this year). I am of the opinion that it's not safe for swimming in northern Australia, but others may disagree. You can swim a thousand times without issue, but if you're swimming somewhere remote and you do get stung or taken by a croc you probably won't survive.
genni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 21:09   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by genni View Post
I've recently returned from a cruise in Northern QLD (I also live in North QLD). We started in Cooktown and worked out way up to Lizard. Unfortunately, the situation with the crocs are changing. Usually, they leave the rivers to find a mate and return, thereby allowing swimmers to make an informed decision about the dangers of swimming at the beach. This is becoming less common as croc numbers have increased significantly, and people are now finding crocs on beaches during odd times of the year. As an example during our trip we stopped off at an island that was a significant distance from the mainland and we were stalked by a croc while we had some sun-downers on the beach. It was a little terrifying. Furthermore, the enclosures provided are usually only for jellyfish. You'll be able to find news stories of crocs swimming inside the enclosures with people. In regards to the jellyfish, you are safer away from the mainland except after a full moon where they are drawn out to the reef (as evidenced by the three deaths on the barrier Reef this year). I am of the opinion that it's not safe for swimming in northern Australia, but others may disagree. You can swim a thousand times without issue, but if you're swimming somewhere remote and you do get stung or taken by a croc you probably won't survive.
Great first post, Genni, and welcome aboard CF!

One time, snorkeling with Jim in the Whitsundays, wearing just my regular swimsuit, I caught a detached, long stinger from something, it wrapped around the top of my arm, and we treated it as soon as we got back to the dinghy. I wound up using local anesthetic and taking Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for 2 weeks after. And it was only one, and an old one at that. No, I wear a stinger suit.

You're right, the crocs are increasing, and I don't think we cruisesrs are as careful as we ought to be.

Did you see the newspaper article about the Aboriginal woman who saved her husband from a croc a few years back? Definitely something to be aware of: she beat it in the eyes with her fists till it let him go. She must have really liked him!

Ann
Old 03-07-2017, 21:20   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Great first post, Genni, and welcome aboard CF!

One time, snorkeling with Jim in the Whitsundays, wearing just my regular swimsuit, I caught a detached, long stinger from something, it wrapped around the top of my arm, and we treated it as soon as we got back to the dinghy. I wound up using local anesthetic and taking Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for 2 weeks after. And it was only one, and an old one at that. No, I wear a stinger suit.

You're right, the crocs are increasing, and I don't think we cruisesrs are as careful as we ought to be.

Did you see the newspaper article about the Aboriginal woman who saved her husband from a croc a few years back? Definitely something to be aware of: she beat it in the eyes with her fists till it let him go. She must have really liked him!

Ann
Hi Ann,

Thanks for the reply!

Great to hear about you being able to treat yourself for the jellyfish sting. My husband is a foreigner and I continually have to remind him of the dangers around these areas. He is always walking too close to the water's edge in known croc country.

I did end up swimming/ diving/ snorkeling at Lizard Island. It was absolutely beautiful. But I've just heard that someone was taken by a croc from there in the last couple of weeks (don't cite me, it could be a rumour). I suppose it's all part of the adventure!

Genni
Old 03-07-2017, 23:36   #26

Boat: None
Send a message via Skype™ to pdbms

Experts have called it a false report:

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...mb6EPWLxwiLXiQ
Old 04-07-2017, 00:19   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdbms View Post
Experts have called it a false report:

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...mb6EPWLxwiLXiQ
Thanks for that mate. That's good news!
Old 05-07-2017, 16:40   #28

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I have always wanted to jump in when a mega pod of dolphins comes upon us. To date, to be honest, I have still been too chicken to do it. But the next one that I see, I'm going in! I ain't getting any younger!

Well, we'll see....
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 16:56   #29

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35

Remember dolphins are as wild as the rest of the sea. Some times they don't appreciate our intruding.
landsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 17:39   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I have always wanted to jump in when a mega pod of dolphins comes upon us. To date, to be honest, I have still been too chicken to do it. But the next one that I see, I'm going in! I ain't getting any younger!

Well, we'll see....
Maybe, you and the kids take turns? Ya gotta get back on the boat. They're wonderful, the dolphins, their existence brings so much pleasure.

Ann