Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2019, 10:50   #16

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]
Re: Spotlight for illuminating MOB

Steve,

We also have the Marine Beam Ultra flashlight, and as you say it is great for distance. For illumination of closer objects, we use a couple of these ATAK adjustable spot/flood flashlights.

The focus mechanism is geared and heavy duty. For the $ a very good value for the in-between light you defined.

As an aside, I only use flashlights [dozens... literally...] that have replacable batteries- and use rechargable batteries for those. That way I can change batteries in the field instead of waiting a few hours for the flashlight to recharge- or worse yet; discover the built in battery no longer holds a useful charge... [A discovery usually made when I need it most...]

In case this is useful.

Cheers! Bill
Old 07-11-2019, 13:23   #17

Boat: Sabre 402

If you’re trying to illuminate a large area (as opposed to zeroing in on a target MOB, as has been discussed above) would spreader lights be an option? They will definitely kill your night vision for anything outside of the area they light up, but won’t need to be (and can’t really be) aimed. That will free a crew to do something perhaps more useful.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 14:29   #18

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
If you’re trying to illuminate a large area (as opposed to zeroing in on a target MOB, as has been discussed above) would spreader lights be an option? They will definitely kill your night vision for anything outside of the area they light up, but won’t need to be (and can’t really be) aimed. That will free a crew to do something perhaps more useful.
Absolutely the plan is to use the spreader lights for close-in illumination. This is whether during an MOB retrieval or for any other reason (friends in dinghy arriving). We do have nice, bright spreader lights.

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 14:31   #19

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
Steve,

We also have the Marine Beam Ultra flashlight, and as you say it is great for distance. For illumination of closer objects, we use a couple of these ATAK adjustable spot/flood flashlights.

The focus mechanism is geared and heavy duty. For the $ a very good value for the in-between light you defined.

As an aside, I only use flashlights [dozens... literally...] that have replacable batteries- and use rechargable batteries for those. That way I can change batteries in the field instead of waiting a few hours for the flashlight to recharge- or worse yet; discover the built in battery no longer holds a useful charge... [A discovery usually made when I need it most...]

In case this is useful.

Cheers! Bill
Looks like a good suggestion. Thanks!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 15:13   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
So, in addition to the super duper Marinebeam light, anyone have a suggestion for a more conventional spotlight? My preference would be handheld, preferably LED with rechargeable batteries.

Hi Steve !

I had the first Marinebeam model and am now fully satisfied with the second model. Indeed, the flow of light is very bright for work near the boat. There was no experience saving the MOB at the night with Marinebeam, but is very useful at night mooring.

It’s really better to use a manual headlight. Here is an overview of some in the PBO https://www.pbo.co.uk/gear/pbo-teste...chlights-24431
yachtodyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:05   #21

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

I hope that everybody has thrown a floater the size of a head, overboard in a choppy sea then tried to find and retrieve it!
Bill
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:14   #22

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I’d say forget all of that. Use any light you normally have. The key to getting MOB Is to start instantly throwing everything that floats overboard. Cushions, lifejackets, dinghy, anything you can instantly throw off the boat. Then look for all that stuff. Because you’ll be able to find it. MOB will be floating amongst it.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:24   #23

Boat: Sabre 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacapaisland42 View Post
I hope that everybody has thrown a floater the size of a head, overboard in a choppy sea then tried to find and retrieve it!
Bill
When I was head of the Race Committee at our club, I made everyone practice a MOB drill during a race. Each boat was given a watermelon that they had to lose over the side at a radio command from the RC boat. Boats that failed to retrieve the melon had an hour added to their time, so everyone found out how hard it is to track something as small as a head in the water.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 20:34   #24

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

I've mentioned this a few times on CF threads and been ignored so I started to sulk, now it seems they are not just being made but are accepted in Australia as flares and are being evaluated by the US Coast guard - so sulking becomes smugness

I've always thought it better that the MOB signal the boat as they are much more likely to see the boat than the boat see them.

These are specifically made for the purpose of flashing boats and aircraft. It will be much easier to steer the boat towards a light than any other form of signal. They are about the same price as MOB AIS devices. I find it hard to believe you would not find someone night or day in poor conditions if they had both laser and AIS.

The green laser is much easier to see and has a longer range but the battery lasts 5 hours V's 40 for red. I don't think you would have it on continuously for that long.

In Australia I was quoted $700 for 2 delivered. They are exempt from the laser pointer laws here as they are classed as a flare.

https://www.sosmarine.com/product/re...ares-sos-5564/
Old 24-05-2020, 06:25   #25

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

And don’t forget the most important part of MOB.

Throw a bunch of large objects that float overboard when the MOB goes over. Coolers, seat cushions, PFDs. Everything.

It's a lot easier to spot those than something the size of a loaf of bread bobbing on the water.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 06:47   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
From an earlier thread I remember reading about the Marinebeam Ultra Long Range Illuminator
https://store.marinebeam.com/marineb...or-flashlight/.

This light looks good for spotting an MOB at a distance, but once you have them spotted and get the boat closer, it looks like it will be a laser-tight beam covering a small area. I think at this point I would like something with more spread in the beam to illuminate a larger area and perhaps not blind the MOB so much.

So, in addition to the super duper Marinebeam light, anyone have a suggestion for a more conventional spotlight? My preference would be handheld, preferably LED with rechargeable batteries.

Cheers!

Steve
This is the task accomplished with parachute flares

Nothing wrong with a bright flashlight but it could never illuminate like a flare
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 12:01   #27

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Wouldn’t you want the mob to be able to show where they are? It’s be easier than trying to find then with a light from the boat
Old 06-12-2020, 04:12   #28

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

A couple of weeks ago there was a SAR for a MOB in Moreton Bay, about 11nm from us. There were 11 Military SAR boats in the water. They all used lasers in their search.

The red boats are military SAR.

The blue laser was by far the best and could be seen easily when pointed in any direction in the sky. The others were less easily seen but all were piercing if pointed towards us and would easily be seen at significantly greater distances.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-11-24-19-32-30-262.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	262.2 KB
ID:	228184  
Old 06-12-2020, 12:06   #29
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Seems like that there should be a fog light version. Fog lights are amber colored to cut through the glare. Most spotlights are bright white.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 12:21   #30

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacapaisland42 View Post
Bill
Yes. Even on a clear day. Even a life raft can be lost from sight in rough seas. Which makes Le Cam's recovery of Escoffier all the more heroic IMO. After my own practices with this on days with steep choppy seas and whitecaps, I think a pole that inflates with and from the PFD is a good idea. I have never seen one and I kinda wonder why not.
Why not build this into the PFD?
https://www.landfallnavigation.com/s...xoCXWkQAvD_BwE
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mob