Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2008, 02:44   #1

Boat: Endeavour CC 40' AbbyGale
Spare Air scuba tank

I've owned a Spare Air scuba tank for about a year now. I use it quite regularly, and I now consider it a necessary component of my cruising inventory.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, its a mini scuba tank attached to the bottom of a regulator. (one piece unit) Mine holds about 85 breaths working at less than 15 feet, or, about 3 minutes worth.

The darn thing has come in handy quite a few times. I'm open water scuba certified, which you should be, to use this device.

Getting a little older, I can't do the 'Tarzan' dive on the anchor while holding my breath anymore. I attach the spare air around my neck with a webb-strap, just to keep it from floating off. Otherwise its quite comfortable holding it with just my mouth and teeth.

I've used it to dive the anchor to check the set, and also to dive the anchor to trip it when necessary. (I don't always use a trip line)

It's handy for grabbing that quick lobster, clearing a plastic bag from a thru hull fitting, cutting loose crab traps, replacing zincs, knocking off a barnacle or two from the prop, picking up enough scallops for dinner... just about anything you need a short stay underwater for.

I don't have to mess with my full scuba gear, and I'm not restricted by the length of my hooka hose. I do put two 2 pound soft weights in my pockets to keep me from floating so much.

The unit easily refills from my onboard scuba tank.

What a little gem. I highly recommend it onboard.

Fairwinds to all!
Old 16-07-2008, 19:20   #2

Let me say it again. You should be scuba certified to use any scuba equipment. Even a `handy' Spare Air. It's handy like a gun and potentially as dangerous.

Having said that, I'm glad you have found the Spare Air helpful but the two I have had held up very poorly. Problems with the regulator leaking air over time or the regulator sticking open. Neither is a big problem for the use you mention. But a person might want to consider a small `pony' bottle and just use your regular scuba regulator on it. My two cents.
Michael Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scuba