Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2023, 07:11   #16

Re: Solo Sailing: PLB or EPIRB?

Quote:
a PLB. (like the Garmin inReach mini)
Just to clarify that an InReach is not a PLB.
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 07:21   #17

Boat: Bristol 27

It truly is no fun being stuck even out in the bay with no Comms device.

Had motor failure on my 14' power boat back in the 70's just at dark. (prop loss actually)

We had no VHF or phone of course.

No compass or food either.

There were 3 of us in this little 14' aluminum V boat and we had maybe 2''-4" of freeboard.

We were in the widest part of the Chesapeake Bay (about 30 miles wide there) same latitude about as Tangier bit not quite that far out.

Luckily it didn't get rough that night.

We were picked up at about 3:30 am.

I signaled the search boats by having my friends pour gasoline on a greasy rag wrapped around the oar.

Excess gas went into the bottom of the boat.

Then I lit it with my lighter!

We all smelled of gas later so we were luck the entire boat didn't catch fire.

We were all 17 years old.

Only 2 PFD's also

For some reason, my friends were never allowed to go out with me on my boat again for a few years anyway
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 03:57   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecea View Post
Just to clarify that an InReach is not a PLB.
They are advertising it as a communication device and a PLB.

Satellite navigation experts Garmin have today unveiled the second generation of the popular inReach mini device – an all-in-one satellite communicator, personal locator beacon (PLB), and navigation tracker housed in an ultra-light, compact package.

https://outdoorsmagic.com/article/best-ice-axes/
Old 10-02-2023, 04:25   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
They are advertising it as a communication device and a PLB.

Satellite navigation experts Garmin have today unveiled the second generation of the popular inReach mini device – an all-in-one satellite communicator, personal locator beacon (PLB), and navigation tracker housed in an ultra-light, compact package.

https://outdoorsmagic.com/article/best-ice-axes/
That article is calling it a PLB. It is not and Garmin admits the difference.

PLBs (Personal Locator Beacon) and EPIRBs (Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon) are registered with maritime agencies so that the owner can be identified when an SOS is triggered. These are registered using a [Hex ID or UIN (Unique Identification Number), which is transmitted by a radio signal during an SOS to convey information to search and rescue teams so they may identify who triggered the SOS.

Garmin inReach capable devices do not have a Hex ID or UIN, because they do not send a radio transmission when an SOS is triggered. When an SOS is triggered, owner information is transferred to the Garmin Response Center, through the Iridium Network. There is no need to register these devices with maritime agencies for SOS.

URL="https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=qveEdIf0Gx15Brn9Y4kP96"]https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=qveEdIf0Gx15Brn9Y4kP96[/URL]
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 04:31   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandor View Post

PLBs (Personal Locator Beacon) and EPIRBs (Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon) are registered with maritime agencies so that the owner can be identified when an SOS is triggered. These are registered using a [Hex ID or UIN (Unique Identification Number), which is transmitted by a radio signal during an SOS to convey information to search and rescue teams so they may identify who triggered the SOS.

Garmin inReach capable devices do not have a Hex ID or UIN, because they do not send a radio transmission when an SOS is triggered. When an SOS is triggered, owner information is transferred to the Garmin Response Center, through the Iridium Network. There is no need to register these devices with maritime agencies for SOS.

URL="https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=qveEdIf0Gx15Brn9Y4kP96"]https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=qveEdIf0Gx15Brn9Y4kP96[/URL]
Thanks.

I saw the part about "the Garmin Response Center" and was wondering about the extra step that would still be needed for an SOS.
Old 10-02-2023, 05:06   #21

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal Reynolds View Post
The boat was found on the beach with his harness in the closed position and tethered to the boat.

Clearly he slipped out of his harness either involuntarily when tossed off his boat or perhaps voluntarily while being dragged.
This is an interesting set of circumstances. Common practice is to attach the safety devices to your inflatable PFD. I know the AIS units I have used actually provide clear instructions on how to install them so they automatically activate when the inflatable activates. And once it is neatly attached to the harness, it becomes a completely brainless operation - put on your harness and you are good to go.

If you attach the device to your PFD, and it is integrated with your harness, that approach may need to be reconsidered!
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 06:21   #22

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
This is an interesting set of circumstances. Common practice is to attach the safety devices to your inflatable PFD. I know the AIS units I have used actually provide clear instructions on how to install them so they automatically activate when the inflatable activates. And once it is neatly attached to the harness, it becomes a completely brainless operation - put on your harness and you are good to go.

If you attach the device to your PFD, and it is integrated with your harness, that approach may need to be reconsidered!
Crotch straps integrated into the harness are supposed to mitigate this issue. Maybe they do, but they are not designed to take much load and many fear they would fail when used in anger.

When singlehanding I wouldn't depend on the short range (0.5 watts) MOB-AIS devices being activated at water level. I assume they work as intended with crewed vessels, even doublehanding as they trigger a DSC alert to wake up the off-watch. You do keep your VHF on right? Sometimes I don't if the USCG has too many announcements and I need sleep.

The PLB is my last line of defense if I go over the lifelines.

BTW, the Icom M92 or M93 is a great, tough small 6 watt VHF radio that can fit in a big pocket if you want to go that route also.
Mal Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 06:23   #23

Boat: Boat

Quote:
Don’t skimp. Just buy both. Keep the PLB in your pocket or on your PFD and keep the EPIRB in a ready to go spot on the boat. It is nice to have a backup just in case. And each has its own advantage.
This. The only one that won't be of any use to you is a device that produces a local alert for crew since you won't have any.
Cloroxbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 06:25   #24

Boat: Voyage 430

I've always wandered about PLB v EPIRB.

Suppose you have an EPIRB that is designed to go off when it is underwater (like I had on my last boat), and you also have a PLB. Suppose the boat sinks and the EPIRB goes off and alerts. You alert via your PLB.

Would double beacons not really at the same spot impact a search effort in a negative way?
ThereAndBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 07:53   #25

After I read this, I bought a PLB. Relatively cheap investment.

And he was tethered...

https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/sail...verboard-78393
Old 10-02-2023, 08:39   #26

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereAndBack View Post
Would double beacons not really at the same spot impact a search effort in a negative way?
My recollection is the only impact would be to suggest that it's less likely an accidental alert.

I believe the positions transmitted are rounded off to the nearest hundred meters, but the actual position error may easily be a few kilometers from ground truth. Thus, I wouldn't worry about them not being in the same exact spot.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 08:58   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D View Post
This season (well, maybe the season,....) I hope to get out of the Chesapeake Bay and out on the Atlantic, going beyond cell coverage. I have neither a PLB nor EPIRB. I plan to be tethered most of the time, so going over the side is not my major concern, though it should always be a concern.

OK, as I plan for most of this sailing to be solo, which equipment would cover me for most situations?
The ideal answer is both. But, if I had to choose, I’d go with the PLB… with the caveat that it is on your life vest or in pocket at all times. An EPIRB attached to your boat is a sad sight as you watch her sail away after slipping overboard.

I too often am solo, and when I am, I always have my PLB and handheld VHF attached to my life vest. That is for coastal cruising. For any offshore cruiser making longer passages beyond reasonable reach (meaning a couple hours) of shore based rescue, without a single doubt - buy both.
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 09:02   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereAndBack View Post
I think it helps. A high percentage of EPIRB / PLB alerts are false alarms. The chance of accidentally setting off two devices is less, so this would reinforce the genuine nature of the emergency.

This is one of the reasons why I am a fan of PLBs rather than EPIRBs if on a budget. The crew can each have a PLB on their harness/lifejacket rather than a single EPIRB for the boat. For a crew of two the PLBs option is not much more expensive than a single EPIRB.

As well this has the advantage of redundancy. The main benefit is that in an emergency the crew is more likely to have their PLB close by, if not on their person. There is then the option of deploying both together, reducing the danger of the alert being regarded as a false alarm or deploying the units consecutively giving the same battery life as an EPIRB.

Most PLBs have an inbuilt GPS so they should be transmitting an accurate position.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 10:15   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:

Garmin inReach capable devices do not have a Hex ID or UIN, because they do not send a radio transmission when an SOS is triggered. When an SOS is triggered, owner information is transferred to the Garmin Response Center, through the Iridium Network. There is no need to register these devices with maritime agencies for SOS.. .

Absolutely right.

PLBs and EPIRBs work over a completely different and far more robust system than InReach.

Chalk and cheese. InReach is NOT a PLB, not even close, not even on the same system. InReach is a great device, but NOT a substitute for a PLB.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 13:45   #30

So far during the last 11 years or so, I have been sailing the waters the OP plans to sail in soon.

I have VHF only. (and iPhone)

I plan to get an MMSI soon.

From the posts above though after retirement when I plan to sail longer distances and further offshore, I'm thinking EPIRB and inReach Mini 2

Tags
epirb, sail, sailing