Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2018, 09:38   #1

Boat: Colegate 26
Smoking on the Fuel Dock

I don't know a better place to put this so I'm putting it here.

What do you do when you see someone smoking on the fuel dock, standing right next to the GIANT "NO SMOKING" signs everywhere?

What if it's the $@*#ing dock hand?

What if it's the $@*#ing dock hand inspecting the fuel pumps with a lit cigarette in one hand and his head inside the pump housing?

It's a weathered looking dude and I assume if I say "Hi sir, this is a no smoking area" his response will be "Look buddy, I've been doing this since you were in diapers. Don't tell me how to do my job." Maybe I'm wrong. But I'd like to broach the topic positively and not piss off the guy who keeps an eye on my boat while I'm ashore getting groceries.

Or should I just ignore it and hope he doesn't burn down the dock while I'm here for the week.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:57   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Smoking on the Fuel Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post

What do you do when you see someone smoking on the fuel dock, standing right next to the GIANT "NO SMOKING" signs everywhere?

What if it's the $@*#ing dock hand inspecting the fuel pumps with a lit cigarette in one hand and his head inside the pump housing?

It's a weathered looking dude and I assume if I say "Hi sir, this is a no smoking area" his response will be "Look buddy, I've been doing this since you were in diapers. Don't tell me how to do my job." Maybe I'm wrong. But I'd like to broach the topic positively and not piss off the guy who keeps an eye on my boat while I'm ashore getting groceries.

Or should I just ignore it and hope he doesn't burn down the dock while I'm here for the week.

I saw a boat blow up a little (just the dog box) 2 years ago. I did numerous accident inspections after folks blew up either trucks or fixed tanks. One was cause by smoking. I even saw a guy toss a lit cigar in a kerosene tanker to prove a point (that was his last day--I called his boss).

Yeah, I'd talk to his boss and tell him your not coming back until it changes. Don't talk safety, just tell him you won't be back.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:59   #3

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:

This reminds me of one incident when I was in the military. It was winter and me and my group were loading on a truck half a ton of life ammo, a snow scooter with ten jerry cans of gasoline for it and our group their gear and guns. The driver closed the tarp and everybody rolled a cigarette and lighted up so fast as the truck started. Me enjoying my smoke and as the leader of the group thought "I won't be answering to anyone if this on blows up".

Teddy
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:20   #4
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Get the phone out, let the douchebag see you taking his picture and then tell him the pic is going to the harbormaster and OSHA.
fstbttms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:24   #5

Boat: someone elses

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
This reminds me of one incident when I was in the military. It was winter and me and my group were loading on a truck half a ton of life ammo, a snow scooter with ten jerry cans of gasoline for it and our group their gear and guns. The driver closed the tarp and everybody rolled a cigarette and lighted up so fast as the truck started. Me enjoying my smoke and as the leader of the group thought "I won't be answering to anyone if this on blows up".

Teddy
Wow, its not even authorized to carry fuel and ammo together, let alone smoking in the presence of either. But you had one thing correct... if things went to crap, you wouldnt have to worry about punishment!.
JMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:27   #6

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:

You either put up with it and accept the risk, or buy your fuel somewhere else. Because nothing you say is going to change the way the world works.
Jammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:50   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMitchell View Post
Wow, its not even authorized to carry fuel and ammo together, let alone smoking in the presence of either. But you had one thing correct... if things went to crap, you wouldnt have to worry about punishment!.

That and the rolling their own cigarettes, Petrol and a snow machine made me think not US Army.
There are other Armies
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:52   #8
SFS

Nothing you say... That's so true. Or phrased another way, it's hard to dissuade someone that is actively pursuing a Darwin Award.
SFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:07   #9
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
You either put up with it and accept the risk, or buy your fuel somewhere else. Because nothing you say is going to change the way the world works.
That's about as cynical a response as I could imagine. I would bet money that if this guy's employer was made aware of this and threatened with alerting the appropriate authorities, the practice of smoking on the fuel dock would stop immediately.

But maybe you think that the dock hand's dangerous habits would be condoned and protected by his employer.
fstbttms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:08   #10

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMitchell View Post
It was a long time ago (in another galaxy far far away), no seat belts on cars, speed limits were just invented.
Thou when it's below-40 there's no igniting of gasoline fumes.

Teddy
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:21   #11

Boat: Leopard 39

You know, when I see the "No Smoking" signs, I've on occasion thought "Who would be stupid enough to smoke here?" I'll never think that again.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:35   #12

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

By your first post, it looks like you haven't said anything to the guy about it. If that's true, that is your first step. It doesn't have to be a hard core confrontation or telling on him.
Simply point out the sign, and ask him not to smoke there.
If he does respond agressivly, THEN take it farther up the chain.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:44   #13

I take a picture, then find someone in management, introduce myself and ask the manager their name. I then show the manager the picture. I then inform the manager that should I be in a situation where an insurance claim is involved, the insurance company will be getting a copy of the picture and a statement that you and he (the manager) had discussed the situation on that specific date and time.

I've never had a problem with the reaction from management.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 13:01   #14

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
That's about as cynical a response as I could imagine. I would bet money that if this guy's employer was made aware of this and threatened with alerting the appropriate authorities, the practice of smoking on the fuel dock would stop immediately.

Not at all. I am not the police. I am not the guy's employer. I am not the marina's insurance company.

Given that this happened in some part of the world where they care enough to put up a "no smoking" sign, someone -- probably whoever runs the marina -- will be along soon enough and will figure it out for themselves and deal with it.

Also, as a general life management strategy, I don't do threats or ultimatums. If I thought the situation serious enough, I would have alerted the authorities.

Generally, when I have encountered situations I have found hazardous from a fire safety standpoint, and have escalated the matters, the response has been disappointing.

Quote:

But maybe you think that the dock hand's dangerous habits would be condoned and protected by his employer.
I think that friends come and go but enemies tend to accumulate over time.

For every boat and its captain, there is a list of people who would surreptitiously untie the dock lines if they thought they could get away with it. I try to keep my list short, because some boats actually do get set adrift.
Jammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 13:29   #15

Boat: Catalina 30

In that situation, I would simply call or email the marina with your concerns on the matter, I'm pretty sure they like their dock, just the same as you like your boat, in a state of not being a giant exploding fire ball.
SV_Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock, fuel