Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2020, 18:40   #16
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II
Re: Sleeping position in a sailboat

Our Douglas 32 has a 36” wide cabin sole.

In rough conditions, I put the settee cushions on the floor.

Comfy, minimal motion fore/aft, secure on either tack.

Small boats can have benefits.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 20:17   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Can you not sleep fore and aft in the aft cabin.

I assume that is "across" the bed? Do you do that all the time or only on a passage?

Garry
Gazzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 07:52   #18
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
Our Douglas 32 has a 36” wide cabin sole.

In rough conditions, I put the settee cushions on the floor.

Comfy, minimal motion fore/aft, secure on either tack.

Small boats can have benefits.
Good point. If it's rough and you don't have a leecloth, that's where you'll end up anyway. Just make sure everything loose doesn't end up on top of you.
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 08:06   #19

I personally don't like sleeping with my head lower than my feet....I don't know many people that do. Headaches and congestion are common complaints. So sleeping "sideways" on the wrong tack wouldn't be ideal for some.

FWIW, our A/C bunks are fore and aft HOWEVER, they are set up for one's head being aft. Problem with this is that an airliner cruises nose UP.
Old 18-01-2020, 10:17   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Pat View Post
I would only put people I hate in the V berth forward. And I don't associate with any lawyers, so it's just used for storage at sea. My second favorite torture chamber would be an athwart bunk.

The best place to sleep is in the main cabin, in a berth aligned with the boat's direction (not athwart), on the "downhill" (downwind/leeward) side, with your head as close to the center of lateral resistance as possible (that's the point with the least dynamic movement). Fortunately, my bunks are set up just like that. But since much of seasickness is psychological, whatever works for you is best. Claustrophobia seems to be a factor for some people, so an area with more room might be better.

During periods of acute seasickness, try breathing in and out of a plastic or paper bag. Increased CO2 seems to help some people (it's an old trick for airsickness.) It definitely helps reduce diaphoresis -- that sweaty feeling you get before you vomit. If it doesn't work, well, you've got the bag right there ready to go...

If your cabin can accommodate it, try stringing a hammock strung fore to aft - the boat rolls but you don't. It's an ancient solution (saves space too).

For greenhorn crew, I earnestly tell them check the bilge every 5 minutes for signs "the boat is sinking" and the engine room for fire - around bedtime, until they get sleepy and stop talking about being sick. Fear and a sense of purpose is a great distraction from seasickness. Ever notice how, in a serious storm, no one with anything to do ever gets sick?

Otherwise, sleep in the cockpit so the cockpit drains can clean up the mess - and there's plenty of fresh air.

Yah...if you think you are going to die you won’t get seasick

I find a sip of cold coke is a good seasickness treatment ..refreshes your mouth and the sugar gives you a ..gonna die any moment..Adrenalin rush
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 16:18   #21

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
You might check with an eye doctor to see if your vision has changed slightly over the past year. This is what happened to me. Personally, I wouldn't think sleeping location on a boat would affect vertigo unless you're hitting your head regularly trying to get in or out of the space. That's my problem with my aft berth. I much prefer the settees with lee cloth while at sea. They're much safer and easier to access.
...there is something I find particularly comfy and secure about sleeping w lee cloths...
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 17:02   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I'm surprised at the chorus of negativity about sleeping 'twartships. I designed my boat specifically with the double bunk crosswise, and it's been the best thing ever. You put your head on the high side, and never worry about a leecloth or being flung around. On the fore-n-aft bunks aft, a leecloth is desirable in a seaway, but not on the main bunk. Anyway, I like it. Different strokes, I guess.
Old 19-01-2020, 05:08   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
...there is something I find particularly comfy and secure about sleeping w lee cloths...
On your catamaran????
Old 19-01-2020, 05:17   #24

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
On your catamaran????[emoji3]
Ha! Being in need of a lee cloth on a cat would not make me warm and fuzzy at all! [emoji33]
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 21:57   #25

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
Perhaps you need to ask a doctor if your vertigo is a sign of something serious, or perhaps if it is BPPV. There is a specific test for this.
I have this condition, and it is sometimes spontaneous, or can be triggered by boat movements, or lying down on one side, or use of alcohol or drugs.
There is a therapy called the Epley maneuver which you can do yourself. There is a self-training aid called a Dizzy-Fix that I find helpful.

THIS. I had this a couple of times. Very common in middle aged or elderly folks. As I was the Bosun on a ship, I was of course quite concerned that I basically had zero sense of balance. Luckily we had very good bandwidth and quite liberal use policy, and between WebMD and Youtube I got it figured out and self-treated. 2nd Mate, the ship's medical officer, had not a clue. Partial relief was immediate. Repeating the Eppley gave me complete recovery just a few minutes later. Be sure you perform the test to determine what side you are impaired... do the eppley on the wrong side and you just make it worse. With nobody to see your eye twitching, just relax and let your eye go out of focus and you will see your eye's focus sort of swimming. Sleeping athwartships on a small boat can easily cause this malady. Sleeping fore and aft is much safer in this regard. Also make a point of getting up out of your rack slowly and deliberately.
Old 25-01-2020, 05:13   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
I'm surprised at the chorus of negativity about sleeping 'twartships. I designed my boat specifically with the double bunk crosswise, and it's been the best thing ever. You put your head on the high side, and never worry about a leecloth or being flung around. On the fore-n-aft bunks aft, a leecloth is desirable in a seaway, but not on the main bunk. Anyway, I like it. Different strokes, I guess.

Everyone has to try different stuff and find whatever works in his individual case.

I sleep athwartships sometimes, but don't really like it in hard weather. If there is a lot of heel, then you feel like you might fall over.

Best sleeping for most people will be fore and aft and on the low side, with a bolster to lean against. Out of seven berths plus settees on this boat we literally have no single place like that on a stb tack, which is when I will often resort to sleeping athwartship here or there.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2020, 04:17   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Check your caffeine intake

I found drinking prepackaged three in one coffee to be a no no. If I have two cups of this brew in the morning right around noon I starting experiencing vertigo even in calm seas aboard a trimaran.

I now drink a full glass of water while my coffee heats up and make my own blend of three in one using adult low fat powdered milk, instant coffee and Muscovado

Muscovado, also khandsari and khand, is a type of partially refined to unrefined sugar with a strong molasses content and flavour.

The Muscovado flavor helps make up for the fact the instant coffee is diluted in my custom blend
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat