Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2018, 04:33   #1

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot
Servicing an Avon Modula 4 man canister Liferaft

When I bought my current Parker 27, it had a very neat, small Avon Modula Cannister liferaft that was already out of date (expired 2012). I tried half-heartedly to see if I could get it serviced back then but without any luck. It is a very neat size and I would really like to get it serviced. Does anyone know of a service agent in the UK or the Continent who can do it or alternately, is it something I could/should attempt myself? I am fairly handy at doing most things but the seal around the cannister is rubber and appears to be glued on with a thin section that I assume splits when the inflation process is activated. I am sure I won't be able to replace this so is there an alternative I could use? As I sail single-handed normally, I have not bothered with a liferaft till now but I have now found someone who wants to crew for me so I need to start thinking about providing a liferaft and I have nowhere to stow a normal size liferaft. the cockpit locker, though cavernous, has an opening that is only 30cm wide and there are no spaces on deck or on the pushpit/stern to stow a liferaft (Solar panels on coachroof so that's not an option) and stowing on the foredeck will foul the genoa sheets when tacking. the cockpit locker is the only viable option and this liferaft fits the bill size wise perfectly.
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 05:57   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Servicing an Avon Modula 4 man canister Liferaft

This thread on YBW doesn't make for good reading.

Avon Modula Lite 4 man valise liferaft

Must be tempting to sell it because they do reach a good price on e bay and then buy something like this:

Seago Sea Cruiser Valise Liferaft ISO9650-2 - Arthurs

Ours is a valise Seago 4 man and lives under the chart table. Since its only 25kgs it can be tossed up into the cockpit in an instant. It is also out of sight from light fingers.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avon, liferaft