Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 17:18   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Semi-Fat Footed Sailors

While searching for my first pair of boat shoes (kayakers don't need'em), I am finding it impossible to find "E" or wide boat shoes. Any suggestions? Buying one size too big so I get the width, is just not an option.

Any insight is appreciated.

Bill
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 19:31   #2

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Semi-Fat Footed Sailors

Check out New Balance. My feet are 13 EEEEEE and I find the application of sufficient dollars (and a willingness to browse in the presence of Toronto Raptors) does the trick.

In boat-deck-proof sandals, I also find the leather sandals with velcro straps from Sperry last me three seasons or so.

You get odd tan lines, however.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 20:12   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Size 13 EEEE for me. I can wear Crocs. Hitchcock sells some wide boat shoes as well but I haven't tried them.
Wide boat shoes, Dunham MCN410BR, Dunham MCN410TN, Extra Wide Deck Shoes and Dunham Wide 6E Boat Shoes.
I sell Sperry and Rugged Shark boat shoes and I can't wear them!
If your feet are just regular wide, not super wide like mine or super, super wide like S.V. Alchmey, these Rugged Sharks might work: Rugged Shark Atlantic Copper wide
Old 08-02-2012, 21:21   #4

Boat: Pearson Wanderer

Sebago Docksiders are extremely comfortable however they do have a heel insert that does need to be reglued.

I am interested to know if anyone has any experience with swim fins in the EEEEE category (most people I ask laugh and say I already have the swim fins built in)?
Visionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 22:00   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Rugged Shark.

Rugged Shark: Comfortable Boat Shoes for All Day Performance
Old 09-02-2012, 08:05   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Size 13 EEEE for me. I can wear Crocs. Hitchcock sells some wide boat shoes as well but I haven't tried them.
Wide boat shoes, Dunham MCN410BR, Dunham MCN410TN, Extra Wide Deck Shoes and Dunham Wide 6E Boat Shoes.
I sell Sperry and Rugged Shark boat shoes and I can't wear them!
If your feet are just regular wide, not super wide like mine or super, super wide like S.V. Alchmey, these Rugged Sharks might work: Rugged Shark Atlantic Copper wide
I can't wear Crocs, nor would I care to, personally.

I have occasionally worn Dunham boat shoes, but I tend to bust out of the sides, even after I stretch them a bit with shoe trees. Ever try to repair a shoe tree? The shop's right by the place where they fix buggy whips, calibrate Walker Logs and block fedoras.

Thanks for saving me time by advising me to avoid Rugged Sharks. I think what I really need is to find a basketball player who's inspired by Morgan Freeman instead of Jay Z...and has a boat.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:14   #7
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Thanks for saving me time by advising me to avoid Rugged Sharks.
Hmmmm. I don't see you being advised in that direction. Am I missing something?

The Rugged Shark "Atlantic" is available in standard or wide. As far as my "high volume" foot is concerned, it's the best boat shoe I've ever owned.

Rugged Shark Shoes ? Aggressive Footwear for Serious Anglers ? Shoes for Fishing, Boating and Casual Wear
Old 09-02-2012, 08:24   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Semi-Fat Footed Sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
While searching for my first pair of boat shoes (kayakers don't need'em), I am finding it impossible to find "E" or wide boat shoes. Any suggestions? Buying one size too big so I get the width, is just not an option.

Any insight is appreciated.

Bill
Well.... if I was Stateside I'd maybe contact one of the many American Indian Leather Goods/clothes/shoe's independant store's I saw on my drive from NC to Vermont...
likely they'll have web site's.. being as astute as the next man..
Good chance they'll take an order for made to measure if its a couple of pairs... all you'll need to send is a foot pattern and picture of style/spec....
They'll maybe appreciate a break into a new market from your happy recommendations...
Kudo's...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:09   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Hmmmm. I don't see you being advised in that direction. Am I missing something?

The Rugged Shark "Atlantic" is available in standard or wide. As far as my "high volume" foot is concerned, it's the best boat shoe I've ever owned.

Rugged Shark Shoes ? Aggressive Footwear for Serious Anglers ? Shoes for Fishing, Boating and Casual Wear
Hopcar said: "If your feet are just regular wide, not super wide like mine or super, super wide like S.V. Alchmey, these Rugged Sharks might work: Rugged Shark Atlantic Copper wide"

From that, I took that my "super, super wide" feet would be inappropriately rectangular to wear the only regularly wide Rugged Sharks.

I was casting no aspersions on the firm or its products, which nearly irrelevant to a guy like me who has been buying "whatever goddamn fits" for 35 years irrespective of the shoes' other qualities. It's that, go barefoot or wear the boxes the shoes came in. Defining the merely wide boat shoe does me a service in time and in avoiding getting my hopes up that I won't destroy pinching shoes in half a season.

Oh, well. At least I'm hard to tip over.
Old 09-02-2012, 13:14   #10
Marine Service Provider

Guys thanks, for the inputs.

I am located in Florida so the nearest tribe is the Miccosukees. The only leather I am aware they work in is gator... Not really an option.... Well unless I buy a Donzi

Found that Defender Marine had a good selection of Rugged Sharks for semi-wide feet at the best price.

Bill
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 09-02-2012, 18:45   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Alchemy, your feet have two more E's than mine and the rugged shark wide are tight on me. At least women know we're well equiped when they see the size of our feet. Come on down to Miami. I'll take you out in the Everglades and we'll drive the Skunk Ape hunters nuts with our foot prints.

Bash, Rugged Shark are terrific shoes and they at least make some styles in wide. Unfortunately wide just isn't wide enough for me. You know what, Rugged Shark has changed hands since I last tried them. I think I'll try on a pair tomorrow. I'll report back if their wide is wider than it was.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:14   #12
Marine Service Provider

Hopcar,

Is there a local store that carries Rugged Shark in S Fla?

Bill
Old 10-02-2012, 07:13   #13

Quote:
Alchemy, your feet have two more E's than mine and the rugged shark wide are tight on me. At least women know we're well equiped when they see the size of our feet. Come on down to Miami. I'll take you out in the Everglades and we'll drive the Skunk Ape hunters nuts with our foot prints.
I have no clue what a Skunk Ape is, but I enjoyed the idea of confusing the hunters of it with my stupidly broad feet.

I actually found New Balance oxford-style lace-ups in 13 EEEEEE. I paid $150 for them. They are the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. I didn't realize one could wiggle toes inside shoes! Because they actually fit, I've had to watch out for blisters on the back of my ankle when I wear thinner socks or fail to lash down my laces.

To me, it's a rare luxury. Some people want cars, yachts, golden toilet seats. Not me. I'm happy with a pint of Guinness and shoes that fit. Ten pints of Guinness and I turn into a skunk ape, however.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:48   #14
CF Adviser

Quote:
Bash, Rugged Shark are terrific shoes and they at least make some styles in wide. Unfortunately wide just isn't wide enough for me. You know what, Rugged Shark has changed hands since I last tried them. I think I'll try on a pair tomorrow. I'll report back if their wide is wider than it was.
I'll be interested to hear your report. I usually have to special-order wide boat moccasins, but I'm actually comfortable in the Rugged Shark mediums. Of course, I'm not EEEEE.
Old 10-02-2012, 19:29   #15

Boat: Pearson Wanderer

Besides the actual Hitchcock brand shoes- Propet is the biggest supplier with 5E with as far as variety goes (not the longest lasting but they are comfortable). New Balance is the second biggest (the 4E and 6E just don't always feel right to me- let out the laces on the 4E or wear double socks with the 6E). Dunham has some comfortable outdoor shoes and sandals. Lastly you can get semi dressy with Sebago and Florsheim ( just don't know how they would be with a marine environment). The prices are always a bit much (on average $80 is a deal with most shoes) but you get what you pay for. Any links on waterproof footwear would be great to see, I was told the best thing for me would be diving socks that are completely neoprene with a thicker sole ( told by 5 diving outfitters)
Visionary is offline   Reply With Quote