Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2021, 06:52   #1

Seasickness AFTER Hyoscine/Scopoderm patch?

For those of you who suffer from seasickness but successfully use Hyoscine patches, how do you get on after the patch has worn off? Sea legs fully operational, or still vulnerable?

If still vulnerable, what's the fastest acting solution you've found? Hyoscine hydrobromide tablets dissolving under the tongue get positive anecdotes.

I ask because I have in the past made it through the first 5 days of a 6 day Fastnet race without a problem, and then still suffered when it got lumpy. Same issue after a week on charter too.

As a skipper looking to undertake longer passages, I can't afford to be incapacitated and unable to act or make robust decisions.
Flobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2021, 14:13   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Seasickness AFTER Hyoscine/Scopoderm patch?

Hello, Flobble,

Just patch up for all your races. Or, try Stugeron, in the low doses for mal de mer, not the high doses for inner ear problems, which I vastly prefer to Scop patches. I have no side effects with the Stugeron, and it addresses the queasy feeling, for me, as well. The patches give me dry mouth, and Jim and i developed a skin reaction to the glue. With the Stugeron, if it gets too bumpy for me, I can take one and lie down for 30 min., and then be fine, so I don't take them till I need them.

As skipper, remember, not only do you need to be clear headed; but you should have some effective things on board to treat the unexpected seasickness of one of your crew.

If you're interested, do a CF Custom Google Search on preventing seasickness, there are a number of threads available to read through. Some people are able to use meclizine HCl effectively. (For me, Stugeron works better, it is cinnarizine HCl.) Ymmv.

Ann
Old 21-10-2021, 15:23   #3

Boat: Voyage 430

If you're prone to seasickness, it can "come back" at any time even if you've already got your sea legs but the sea state changes a lot. I suggest continuing to use sea sickness medication at lower doses even if you don't need it while on a passage and upping the dose to full strength ahead of rough conditions.
ThereAndBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2021, 15:26   #4

Boat: Voyage 430

As a side note, some years back, I found what was called a "compounding pharmacy" in the USA and they made me Scopolamine pills. I could cute these in half or quarters and taper off the dose over time. I much preferred them to the patch. Downside is that you cannot use if you're already sick and can't keep them down.
ThereAndBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 09:40   #5

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Why use a patch or meds at all? These things work amazingly well. I bought the original version 15 years plus ago and it still works great. It has worked on everyone I have ever used it on except for 2 tiny women with tiny wrists so the fit wasn't there. Rich client on his new sailing yacht was green and ready to hurl. Put this on him and 15 minutes later he was below decks asking the chef to make him dinner. This one has replaceable batteries which is important. The rechargeable version only last several hours and then you need to recharge it which means no protection.

Car sickness, air sickness, sea sickness. I keep 2 on board.

https://www.amazon.com/Neurowave-Med...%2C150&sr=8-10
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 10:19   #6

Boat: Chatam 50

Meclazine tablets available over the counter in the US work very well without making one drowsy. Have used them for years, almost always in the first couple of days out if choppy and then once a day if it's going to be quite rough until I'm used to it again.
Leee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 10:27   #7

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
Why use a patch or meds at all? These things work amazingly well. I bought the original version 15 years plus ago and it still works great. It has worked on everyone I have ever used it on except for 2 tiny women with tiny wrists so the fit wasn't there. Rich client on his new sailing yacht was green and ready to hurl. Put this on him and 15 minutes later he was below decks asking the chef to make him dinner. This one has replaceable batteries which is important. The rechargeable version only last several hours and then you need to recharge it which means no protection.

Car sickness, air sickness, sea sickness. I keep 2 on board.

https://www.amazon.com/Neurowave-Med...%2C150&sr=8-10

Thanks for the tip - didnt know about this...
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 10:50   #8

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

I HIGHLY recommend the Reliefband 7 Day bracelet. I have kept one on board for over 20 years to successfully treat crew suffering from motion sickness. It works and has no adverse medical side effects. It is battery powered, lasts up to seven days and the battery is easily replaceable. You don't need all the features of their higher priced models. JMHO
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 12:03   #9

Boat: CS 36 Canadian Sailcraft

Scopolamine patch has always worked well but for shorter trips < 2 days
I take Stugeron which you can get without a prescription from "Canada Drugs Direct". Affordable and 15 mg dose 2 to 3 times a day works great and take one night before departure.
Bill Youmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 16:24   #10

Boat: Tasman 26

I've spent about 48 years on the water. It became my profession (Navy) and always my hobby (sailing). I'm not going to say, don't use medication. But I will offer an observation. The only guaranteed 'cure' is to sit under a tree.

I know of only two people in my circles with 'time at sea' who have NEVER felt seasick. Lord Nelson was a chronic sufferer as are many other noted mariners. It's so much a part of our world its often mentioned only in passing.

In the five years I sailed a square rigger in which every two weeks we would see a group of 24 kids aged 16-23 (12 male, 12 female so a pretty useful sample group totaling around 500 a year) embark for a 10 day voyage, every one of them got seasick to some degree (from mild nausea to violent vomiting and dry retching). Only two required an anti-emetic injection and only one was landed unable to continue. I also noticed that those who took nothing might have been rendered useless but recovered within a day, those who used Scop or oral meds took two to three days. But all recovered. It was a fairly common occurrence for both ship's crew and trainees to be aloft furling sails, vomiting and carrying on. In Navy ships, some sailors walk around on the first few days at sea with a garbage bag in their back pocket ' for Justin (Case)'. There is an attitude that seems to build a faster recovery.

I would say I get mildly nauseated for the first few hours on voyages departing into poor weather and my particular trigger is the oily swell and slow roll in little wind. Rough weather is fine. I've took meds occasionally in the early days but don't anymore nor for most of my career since. I expect it may happen and I work through it if it does.

My point is that there is an amount of time in which we adjust to the motion (brain, inner ear etc) and the same conditions which might make us sick early aren't so later. When we do irregular short trips we don't get to adjust and we also lose any 'conditioning' like fitness in which we remember the sensation and getting over it.

You can of course only know this would work for you by 'risking' it, but frankly its unlikely you will be completely disabled, you'll just feel like **** and throw up a bit, so it's worth a try rather than assuming a life needing meds to enjoy a life on the water. If you are the only person capable of managing the boat to a safe anchorage to recover, there is of course an argument about your crew learning a little more which only reduces the pressure on you.
TomThumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 16:49   #11

TomThumb makes a good argument for "keeping in shape". For many years I lived on a 22 ft sail boat in a marina on the intercoastal in Florida, and the constant rock and roll. To supplement my income I would captain larger sailboats. While many of the guests would become sick or queasy, I never had a problem; giving credit to the motion of the small boat, activating my inner ear. When I switched to a larger (37 ft) as a liveaboard, I found that a slight queasy would be in the background, but that I quickly overcame it without meds.
Ranger2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 02:54   #12

Boat: Oyster 56

Seasickness is complex and is not purely a physiological response.. An observation I have is that the more responsibility /involvement you have in the boat you are on the less likely you are to be sick. I have never been seasick on a vessel I was skippering. I have a friend who is never seasick when the fish are biting. Perhaps you might find that given a chance your susceptibility will seem to diminish when you are skippering the boat yourself.
PhilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 04:25   #13

The fear of seasickness - mainly the fear of being seen to be seasick by others - seems to be a trigger. Those that are more relaxed about it with an 'if it happens, it happens' attitude and carry a Justin (as TomThumb mentioned) get seasick far less often. That nervousness burns blood sugar like crazy, and when it drops, you get sick. Same happens to patients going into operating theatres.
Mariefred is offline   Reply With Quote