Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2003, 17:32   #1

Seasickness

How can one help a guest onboard who is suffering badly with seasickness. An afternoon sail is one thing but what if the plan is to be away for 3 weeks or more!
Any tried and true remedies out there?
marleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 16:01   #2
Scurvy Dog

Look here under Health Information:

http://cruisenews.net/media.html#Health Information
Skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 18:38   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
remedies

Prevention is the best medicine!!!!!!!!

The main thing it to keep them in the wind and fresh air until they get more adapted to the environment. Avoid the first spell as long as possible. (key word "avoid") Once sick it's hard to bring them back to a normal being. No below deck adventures except a run to the head or ? No strenuous exercise either. Make them even add or remove clothes in the cockpit, eat in the cockpit, after a day or two their system begins to adapt. If they have any fears it complicates the situation.
Also, choose who you invite out. Men and woman are alike, I have found no difference. I use to dive every weekend and invite several people out. It seemed one out of ten were OK.

My $.02
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2003, 17:45   #4

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
We had a situation with one of our crew while on route out of Martinique to the Virgins. Although we had a suppository seasickness dose at the ready, he opted for Delmarry's cure, and waited it out for two days in the cockpit. Good thing, we had no volunteers for playing doctor. Nobody wanted to "boldly go" at that chore.

After 2 days he was fine, and did his job happily until we hit the Carolinas.
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2003, 20:21   #5
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Good advice from both of the above guys.

Have been sea-sick myself when I started sailing years ago, and have seen the problem many times.....

Eat good before cruise...Don't go below in a rock and roll, have 'em steer, don't talk about the time when ya fastened a piece of bacon to a string, then swallowed the bacon while holding on to the string, the pulled the whole thing up again slowly and surely..

Or don't talk about when ya ate a chocolate bar covered in butter.

Uh, be gentle....Lots of fresh air, fresh water and them pathces and the ginger pills and all that
CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2003, 23:06   #6

Boat: Formosa Georgian Mk IV 62' Dolce Vita
Try stugeron
Old 14-11-2003, 04:24   #7

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Being somebody who does suffer from seasickness from time to time, I do have two other suggestions:

Control odours - keep the head and the bilge clean.

Go to sea in a catamaran - more stable, more room, and less going down into a dark hole to get out of the weather.

I realize we can't all do either of these.
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2003, 22:24   #8

A thin slice of raw ginger under the tougue............................... gives them somthing to worry about other than being sick. Shane
troppoboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2003, 02:07   #9
nOv

Been sailing for sometime and found it cool when you are out on the deck and take frsh air.

There is a local maldivian way of handling the sea sickness and this actually works very well. Drink at least a couple of mouthfull of sea water, not too tasty or nice but it would work.
nOv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2004, 03:45   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Sea-Sickness

Caution: I am not a health-care professional, so “caveat emptor” applies.

Seasickness is all in the head. Actually it's in the ears. There is a complex
of three fluid-filled canals in each ear, that communicate with the brain and
eyes to help us maintain our balance. There is sometimes so much, or such rapid movement that the brain gets confused and nausea results. Motion sickness occurs when the body is subjected to accelerations of movement in different directions or under conditions where visual contact with the actual outside horizon is lost. The balance center of the inner ear then sends information to the brain that conflicts with the visual clues of apparently standing still in the interior cabin of a ship or airplane.

There may be two differing modalities causing seasickness: acceleration & period. Some of us are more affected by smaller rapid (choppy) motions, and some by larger slower (swell) motions. Your particular sensitivity should play no small part in selecting a vessel suitable for you to cruise.

Like any other organ, however, with time, the brain gets used to the complex,
multiple messages and gets used to the increased number of signals and the
seasickness goes away. This, of course, varies from person to person and can
take from days to weeks to get better.

There are three seasickness triggers guaranteed to cause uncomfortable symptoms. These triggers should be avoided whenever possible during the initial boarding and first few hours at sea:-

1.Going below deck for extended time periods. Not easy if the weather is poor and impossible on some boats. At least try to find a window or porthole and keep your eyes gazing at but not fixed on the horizon.

2. Looking through binoculars for anything longer than a glance.

3. Reading a book, looking at a compass, doing detailed work or staring at one point. Try to keep your peripheral vision out on the horizon and not staring at objects your brain will interpret as stable.

Prevention is best accomplished by seeking areas of lesser movement in an interior location of a larger boat, or by facing forward and looking outside the boat. Several medications are now available both by prescription and over the counter that may prevent or limit the symptoms of motion sickness. If medications are necessary, they are best taken at least one hour before embarking. The over the counter medications Dramamine or Bonine can be very effective for short trips or when symptoms occur intermittently. For longer trips, a prescription medication called Transderm-Scop comes in the form of a patch can be worn behind the ear for up to three days at a time. Side-effects of these medications usually consist of sedation and dry mouth and they should not be taken by people who have glaucoma or urinary obstruction. Recent studies have shown that Ginger root may be as effective as the other drug treatments but is associated with fewer side effects.

Some further reading:
http://www.sail24.com/showtext.phtml...8&la=2&NavID=3
http://old.cruisingworld.com/safatsea/medioman.htm
http://my.webmd.com/hw/ear_disorders/uf4438.asp

Regards,
Gord

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2004, 13:53   #11
RPC

seasick - some answers

There is a seasick reference section at the following website

go to the site www.onpassage.com

go into the emergency&medical section and then into medical, there is a section on seasickness here that has a comprehensive set of links for explanations, drugs and cures.
RPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 09:00   #12

As someone who always get sick, I do not go below in rough sea, then if i still feel woosy, I stand in the center of the boat in the wind and try to just watch the horizon. It will subside in a short time. I probably should stay ashore but I LOVE THE WATER!!! hope this helps.
Walt&Yvonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2004, 11:15   #13

Boat: Privilege 37
We have had a lot of success with sea bands (a device that puts pressure on an accupuncture point in the wrist) but they must be adjusted correctly. There is a new device in UK that uses an electric current at the wrist which is supposed to be wonderful. The ear patch works for a lot of people, but be very careful that only the prescribed number of patches are used, because there have been some real problems with people overdosing themselves.
Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote