Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2018, 12:47   #16

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Re: Sea Sickness Solution - Anyone Tested?

Eyes,ears,joints.......connected-some interesting reading

The Human Balance System | Vestibular Disorders Association

Len
Old 23-01-2018, 12:53   #17

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetii View Post
I tried this. It did not help me.
It works better on land.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 14:21   #18

Boat: Albin Vega 27

A single ear plug sounds interesting. Deny stimulus or modify stimulus to affect the result. That is not much different than chemical/Pharm pills. There are some people who swear by acupuncture and others say it is quackery. Try the earplug and let us know the results. By the way, I have a friend who says Mary Jane works wonders for sea sick passengers. Anybody have any luck with that?
alaskaflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 16:56   #19

Boat: 55 fleming

I do not know about the one ear plug. NASA has done more research on motion sickness than anyone. Their solution of oral scopolamine and dextroamphetamine worked very well for my wife.
wesevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 18:37   #20

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Interestingly, when your eyes move your eardrums move https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...rdrums/551237/ and they don't know why.

It's all tied together.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 20:43   #21

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I wonder if it would help my balance? About a year ago the rocks in my head shifted and despite much physical therapy I still have balance problems.
I can now walk heal to toe with my eyes open, but not well. I can’t walk heel to toe with my eyes closed at all, so vision does help balance.
Have you done the epley? Sometimes it takes a few tries:

zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 20:55   #22

This tip sounds really promising. As I tend to experience unbearable sea sickness, I'm open to any simple, accessible remedy.

Swallowing several ginger root capsules and sipping a strong brew of spearmint tea sometimes works. Thanks for the addition to my arsenal.
BlazinBeamAglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 05:13   #23

Boat: Hylas 49

Tried it twice. Worked great the first time. No effect the second time.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 05:37   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Have you done the epley? Sometimes it takes a few tries:

Yes, the Epley was one of the things that the physical therapists did to me. They say they got the rocks to go back where they belong but I have some residual balance problems. It’s not too bad. Just annoying. Maybe time for a second round of PT. The physical therapists were all attractive young ladies who pretended to laugh at my jokes. Not an unpleasant experience for me.
Old 24-01-2018, 07:00   #25

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Yes, the Epley was one of the things that the physical therapists did to me. They say they got the rocks to go back where they belong but I have some residual balance problems. It’s not too bad. Just annoying. Maybe time for a second round of PT. The physical therapists were all attractive young ladies who pretended to laugh at my jokes. Not an unpleasant experience for me.
I had some trouble a couple years back with vertigo. Eply maneuver helped put the rocks back in order. A little research at the time led me to believe a salt imbalance was at least partially responsible. Three salts; sodium, potassium, and magnesium work together forming the crystals that help you balance. Our diets contain plenty of sodium and a fair amount of potassium, but magnesium is often short changed. Lots of water and magnesium supplements worked for me. Work for others? Dunno, I'm not a doctor, just a goat.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 09:52   #26

Boat: Falmouth Cutter 22

Interesting ... Perhaps acute deafness in one ear may cause a reflexive decreased sensitivity to the neural mismatch found at sea. Try alternating ears in case of quick adaptability to the effect. Personally any of the anticholinergic drugs work. Scopolamine tablets or scopace was discontinued in 2011. It worked well but the blurred vision was too great, so I could not navigate the boat. Diphenhydramine hcl (benedryl) is not as potent as scopolamine but still works well and does not blur my vision. Central (brain) H1 antihistamine drugs also are known to work, but not peripheral (citirizene for example). Seasickness is a cluster of parasympathetic stimulation such as feeling of distress , gut spasm, nausea sweating etc. Neural mismatch and body reflexes response to acute one sided deafness seem to me the best model that supports your novel treatment.
Fuegomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 10:20   #27
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
I had some trouble a couple years back with vertigo. Eply maneuver helped put the rocks back in order. A little research at the time led me to believe a salt imbalance was at least partially responsible. Three salts; sodium, potassium, and magnesium work together forming the crystals that help you balance. Our diets contain plenty of sodium and a fair amount of potassium, but magnesium is often short changed. Lots of water and magnesium supplements worked for me. Work for others? Dunno, I'm not a doctor, just a goat.
My family has this kind of vertigo. We use a DizzyFix to help guide older members through the Epley maneuver. I have learned to do it without the headgear...
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 14:09   #28

To the Mary Jane. Yes, works great for real. Did wonders to the wife. But on the counter part, she was useless for anything else lol. Getting high really dulls down the senses. Plus she just stares at the horizon and smiles. So maybe that is the cure? I find just staying high in the cockpit with a good view of be horizon is the best medicine
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 14:37   #29

Boat: Albin Vega 27

Thanks for that update on the effectiveness of Mary Jane. I have noted that others who were seriously sea sick that took a pharmaceutical pill just led them to go to sleep below decks and miss out entirely on a day of chartered fishing, only to wake up when pulling into the dock. Feeling and looking miserable. Total loss of $500.-1000 dollars depending on the charter. MJ is legal here in AK. Not for use while operating (capt. crew,etc). But for passengers, a more natural approach using a "special" cookie has got to be better than the side effects (unwanted affects) of Pharm.
alaskaflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 15:09   #30

Boat: Malö 40H

As a kid, I would get motion sickness from riding on the school bus. Family road trips, amusement park rides, you name it. If it involves acceleration changes, you can bet on me enjoying breakfast a second time.

Did flight training including flying acrobatic maneuvers.. same deal.

So what does one do?.. buy a sailboat?

Anyhow.. my point is, if there ever was a poster child for seasickness, that would be me.

But I have learned to manage my sickness. Generally speaking what I have found is:
  • Anxiety & fear makes it worse. Being in familiar environments/conditions/situations make it less likely to appear
  • Being cold is definitely a catalist and so is having an empty stomach.
  • Diphenhydramin + Caffeine pillen (marketed as Biodramina in Spain) is my wonder pill

Things that do _not_ work
  • Acupuncture / Electroshock bands.
  • Ginger / Citrus natural pills and other natural remedies.

YMMV .. bottomline is: chemistry is your friend
crankysailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sea sickness