Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2018, 05:40   #31
elk

Re: Sea Sickness Solution - Anyone Tested?

I guess no one has experienced Boarding Ring glasses. They're goofy looking, but if they work, why not? Supposedly 95% effective during trials with the French Navy. The chandlery in England where I bought mine had good reviews from people who used them. I haven't been able to test mine.

Can't buy them in the US for some reason, unless you want to pay the $3K some yahoo on Amazon was asking for them.

Just checked on Amazon and they're down to $200+, which is more reasonable but still $100 more than from England even with shipping.
elk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 08:34   #32

Putting the earplug on wife's side does seem to produce positive benefits
t3c9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 13:10   #33

Boat: Hatteras Yachtfish 58'

I rarely get sea sick but sometimes my guests will. Years ago I bought "Relief Bands" that look like a watch on your arm that gives out electric pulses. Everyone who has used them said they work. Not cheap but better than having a sick guest.
tomrealest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 15:28   #34

Boat: Grand Banks 32

From Tristan Jones....

There is no cure for seasickness.
The best thing to eat is canned peaches. They taste almost as good coming up as they did going down.

Fair Winds!
Oldersalt

"Everything on your boat is broken. You just don't know it yet."
oldersalt1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 04:27   #35

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

Hmmmmm

When Your Eyes Move, So Do Your Eardrums

... and no one knows why.

The right ear and eye of Barack Obama Kevin Lamarque / Reuters

Like ​The Atlantic? Subscribe to The Atlantic Daily​, our free weekday email newsletter.

Without moving your head, look to your left. Now look to your right. Keep flicking your eyes back and forth, left and right.
Even if you managed to keep the rest of your body completely still, your eyeballs were not the only parts of your head that just moved. Your ears did, too. Specifically, your eardrums—the thin membranes inside each of your ears—wobbled. As your eyes flitted right, both eardrums bulged to the left, one inward and one outward. They then bounced back and forth a few times, before coming to a halt. When you looked left, they bulged to the right, and oscillated again.
These wobbles happen every time you move your eyes, whether or not there's external noise. The bigger the movement, the bigger the wobble. But no one knows why they happen. And until Jennifer Groh, from Duke University, discovered them, no one even knew that they happened at all.
Groh has long been interested in how the brain connects information from our eyes and ears. In a loud party, for example, we automatically read the lips of our conversational partners to interpret any unintelligible sounds. For that to work, the brain has to align visual and auditory information in space, so it knows that those sounds are coming from those lips. And that’s easier said than done, because our ears are obviously fixed on our heads but our eyes are constantly moving. They flit all over the space in front of us, roughly three times a second. Every such movement changes the spatial relationships between what we see and what we hear. So how does the brain unite those streams of information? And where?
“Historically, people have thought that information enters the ear and the eye separately, and that eventually it’s combined,” says Nina Kraus from Northwestern University. But Groh’s experiment, she says, suggests that this act of combination happens much earlier. The eardrum, after all, is responsible for converting vibrations in the air around us into vibrations in the liquid within our heads. It’s where hearing effectively begins. And if it wobbles as our eyes shift, then this suggests that vision might affect hearing “at the earliest possible point,” says Kraus.
Kurtis Gruters and David Murphy, two members of Groh’s team, detected the wobbling eardrums in the simplest possible way. They stuck microphones in the ears of several volunteers, and asked them to look at different targets. As their eyes moved, so did their eardrums. Like actual tiny drums, these vibrating membranes created small sounds, which the microphones could detect. That’s how the team showed that the eardrum oscillations match the direction and strength of the eyes’ movements.
They also found that the eardrums start to wobble about 10 milliseconds before the eyes. This suggest that the ears aren’t reacting to what’s happening in the eyes. Instead, Groh says, “the brain is saying: I am about to move the eyes; ears, get ready.”
But why? Do these wobbles affect the ear’s ability to process incoming sound? “We don’t yet know,” says Groh. But she suspects that the wobbles are helpful to the brain in some way, perhaps in helping to match up the information from the eyes and ears. “I find it compelling that the movements are so time-locked and specific to whatever eye movements are occurring. It’s not just a little tic. It’s an informative signal.”
Barbara Shinn-Cunningham, from Boston University, also studies the neuroscience of hearing, and she is more circumspect. “It is a very interesting and previously unknown phenomenon, which may turn out to be incredibly important,” she says, “But so far, there is no evidence it is. We just don’t yet know why it happens or what it means.”
Groh adds that it’s not even clear if the wobbles themselves are important, or if they’re the result of some other change in the inner structures of the ears. Still, it’s clear that something is happening to the ears, and it’s intimately connected to what the eyes are doing. “This suggests that there are no safe spaces in the brain,” Groh says. “One sensory system is influenced by another right at the point where the physical energy is first detected.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazinBeamAglow View Post
This tip sounds really promising. As I tend to experience unbearable sea sickness, I'm open to any simple, accessible remedy.

Swallowing several ginger root capsules and sipping a strong brew of spearmint tea sometimes works. Thanks for the addition to my arsenal.
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sea sickness