Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2016, 07:48   #1

Boat: Catalina 30
Sea sick pills causing land sickness?

If not careful I am susceptible to sea sickness but have only take a motion sick pill twice in my life. As long as I take the usual precautions I am just fine.

A couple of weeks ago I went on my first deep sea fishing trip and knowing that we were just going to be bobbing in one spot bottom fishing, I took Bonine as a precaution. The seas were gentle but a constant 3-4 foot swell with a long fetch in between resulting in a constant smooth up and down for 8 hours. I was perfectly fine all day but by the time I got home I was sitting at the dinner table still having the feeling that we were on the ocean.

It's been a long time since I've felt that and usually it is more entertaining then annoying, but this time it was so constant and drastic that I started getting very queasy. It felt like I was on rougher seas at home then I was on the water.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge if the motion pills could have made this worse or has it just been too long since I've been out and I'm not used to it anymore?
Old 06-08-2016, 07:57   #2

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Re: Sea sick pills causing land sickness?

I dont think its the pills. Ive been pretty resistant to motion sickness. Ive never felt quesy doing anything (yet) but a week on our sailboat on an inland lake and Ill be land sick! Ive never found anything but time to get over it. Dont close your eyes in the shower. Dont wear high heels!

Old 06-08-2016, 08:06   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Dont wear high heels!

Great there go my plans this weekend.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:08   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

After a long passage walking into the Customs office like a drunkard, hanging onto the counter for dear life.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:40   #5

Boat: Catalina 320

I think as my resistance to sea sickness increased my land sickness (Mal de debarquement) got worse. I've never taken medications, the longer I'm on the boat the longer the "dizzy" lasts, don't dare get in the shower, somehow that REALLY sets your head spinning. I find the old sailor's remedy of a healthy dose of rum followed by 10 hours of comatose sleep (on land) works well.
If your just getting back on the boat you can still take the rum "just in case" you go ashore later.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:49   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 54 DS

It is ok to wesr high heels, just not in the shower !
bjymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:11   #7

You possibly have vertigo, lie on a bed with your head tilted back over the edge, move your head back and forth with the top of your head almost pointed at the floor this may trick your ears into a reset and you may be fine, if not I second the rum and sleep option!! Although alcohol is also a factor in inner ear problems, so probably not a good option for anything except a sleep aid, just don't take it at the same time as the seasick pills you will get real sloppy, you may just decide to put on those heals lol
seaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:34   #8

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
After a long passage walking into the Customs office like a drunkard, hanging onto the counter for dear life.
Mark, you re suppose to leave those sea legs onboard.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:14   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Yes a shower really gets it going, I wonder why? It seems to be worst when I close my eyes to wash my hair.
But I have never gotten it so bad that I get sick, but a Sportfisherman if your just float fishing, is the worst it gets as of course your beam onto the waves.
My sailboat, never, ever, no matter how bad the weather, rolls as bad as any of our Sportfishermen did, the rolling moment on a sailboat is heavily dampened.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:39   #10

Not uncommon to see sailors wobble around just after debarkation onto solid land. Actually a healthy sign your ears can get use to the sea. Usually goes away within a day's time. If it lasts longer, see a doctor. Its not the pills but just a normal response.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:36   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Running through this thread is the substitution of visual information (edge of doors, etc.) for vestubular information when the vestibular information is faulty. That's how dancers do pirouettes without landing in the orchestra - they use visual information (edge of curtain) as a substitute while their vestibular system is dizzy. If you damage (temporarily) your vestibular system with alcohol, it's called "bed spins" because every time you close your eyes (lose the visual substitute) you start rotating. Both the drug and being at sea dull or limit your use of your vestibular system. Come on shore, close your eyes, and you've just run out of "Which way is up" information for your brain. I can explain how it works at the neural level, but that takes a chalk board and a gin and tonic.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 13:29   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Well, Bonine is next to worthless. Odds are it wore off and you got acclimated to the motion of the sea. And when you got back on shore? You simply got "landsick", long and well documented form of motion sickness that goes hand in hand with seasickness. Same problem, your body needs time to get acclimated to the difference (or change) in visual and physical signals. And usually you can (surprise!) take more of the same meds to make the problem go away. Anything that works for motion sickness, works for both kinds.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 14:36   #13

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

The "mal de debarquement" is worst for me, too, if I close my eyes in the shower. I guess one could switch to non-stinging shampoo....

To the OP, you had the "mal de debarquement", and reed1v is right, it is a sign all is well with your semi-circular canals. A long lie-down, with or without the rum will lessen the symptoms.

Ann
Old 06-08-2016, 15:25   #14

I have had this as well!

The shower is so bad because you rotate your head down and up with your eyes closed. Be sure to stay well hydrated and get enough sleep.
nukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 18:56   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Well, Bonine is next to worthless. Odds are it wore off and you got acclimated to the motion of the sea.
The only other time I took bonine was on a cruise in very large seas. I started getting very nauseous and bought bonine at the commissary on board. It made me right as rain very quickly. Does it not work on a lot of people or does it wear off too quickly? Curious as to why you say it is worthless. Would I notice a difference with something else?