Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 05:33   #1
VVD

Boat: Caliber47LRC - MAKAI
Saint Martin - theft

Please take care anchoring in Saint Martin - Marigot Bay - Grand Case. There are reports of a large number of dinghies being stolen. We visited friends on a boat anchored in Grand Case. They forgot to close their forward hedge and just as we returned we saw a dinghy with two local youths trying to break in. We started to shout and wave and they fled. Americans on a motorboat stopped them. They came from Marigot and where youngsters. Please take care and close everything all the time, lock up your dinghy, always. "They" are watching you.
VVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 16:42   #2

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: Saint Martin - theft

Do you think the "locals" understand the connection between tourist dollars and health of the local economy?
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 17:07   #3

Boat: Seaward 22

Theft has been a problem on island for years, and the government does not do much to slow it down. I used to vacation there every year and the situation has deteriorated. The marina area in marigot off of the lagoon used to be alive at night. Now people are reluctant to go there and many restaraunts closed.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 19:57   #4

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check

In the past 3 days I've notices a French Coast Guard presents in the Lagoon area. One Catamaran was broken into about 3 in the Afternoon on Sunday.... No one saw anything.

Several kids have reportedly been apprehended but apparently they can only turn them loose again after a part of a day in jail. The kids seem to know that nothing will be done to them and the adults who are often behind them keep them on the look out for an easy touch. Appears most are from the French side but they freely move about in the lagoon on both sides.

This is not unique for St Martin/ St Maarten, it is the same in many if not most other locations. I had a dink stolen in the BVI just before Christmas a year ago. Everyone knows the kids that do it but the police can not do much as the parents don't seem to care in many cases.

Always lock everything up. Chain dinks with heavy chain not life line type cords... including at night to your boat. Also chain your gas tanks to the dink and of course the motor needs as many locks on it as possible and still be able to use it. Seems the most targeted items are outboards of the 15 horsepower and any computer/ camera/ money that can be grabbed quickly. All should consider adding a hatch lock / bar when they are away from the boat. It is looks hard to get into and away from... they seem to pass it up.

The good thing is I've not heard of any personal attacks or boardings when people were on the boats. I just wonder of these kids will escalate things as they grow older and want more money faster.
Old 11-06-2012, 21:10   #5

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Theres theft everywhere these days !! When I first started cruiseing in the 60s, I very seldom locked anything, and don't think I ever locked up or lifted aboard my dinks! but you better believe I do know !! I can't afford to replace dinks and motors once or twice a year !! LOL Im a retired cruiser! all kidding aside things are really different now you must be alert to the possibilty of theft happening to you !! Not just to others! Take all precautions you can think of and ya might just be able to keep your stuff !! just my 2 cents
Old 11-06-2012, 21:56   #6

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

I believe all the stolen engines end in the right side of Sandy Ground bridge , but Police dont have the nuts to go there , mainly because all here we know and Gendarmes to that in this small gueto people are very agresive and dont fear Police , and there is weapons in between, scary stuff.

Yesterday 2 kids stole a JetSki from Fort Louis Marina in daytime in front of everybody and the jetski engine stop just few hundred feets away , Gendarmes take the 2 kids to police station, 3 hours laters kids are in the streets again, WTF is going on here!!!
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote