Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 03:49   #31

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: Sailors with Corrective Lenses

I prefer contacts, especially in rain and spray -- but they never feel entirely comfortable on my eyeballs, so I wind up wearing my glasses more often than not.

For cheap glasses and prescription sunglasses check out Zenni Optical. (Zenni Optical - Eyeglasses, The best place to buy glasses - Prescription Glasses, Bifocal, Progressive, Rimless Eyeglasses for Men, Women & Kids Glasses) They're cheap enough that I just buy a new pair every year or so, and I never worry about losing or abusing them.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:15   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Prescription sunglasses with one of those string retainers so I do not lose them.
Same here
Old 11-09-2013, 05:20   #33

Boat: a sailing boat

Prescription sunglasses in designer frames.

Contacts, when it rains.

I think if you wear long use contacts, you do not care either way.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:31   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
one word

LASIK

Technically that is an acronym.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:35   #35

Boat: Jeanneau 54DS

Contact lens technology has dramatically improved in the last 20 years. Today, you can find ultra comfortable disposable lenses, with silico-hydrogel material that lets the cornea breathe. For presbyopia, you can ask your eye doctor to let you try AirOptix multifocal lenses, or for best comfort, try 1-day Acuvue TruEye and have them fitted "monovision" if you're presbyopic (as I am) ( full disclosure: i have worked for 20 years in this industry)
Phoenician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:38   #36

I don't wear contacts, but at different times I use anything and everything else--clip-ons, fit-overs, and prescription sunglasses.

And, by the way, prescription sunglasses do not have to be expensive. I've bought a number of pairs from here: Zenni Optical - Eyeglasses, The best place to buy glasses - Prescription Glasses, Bifocal, Progressive, Rimless Eyeglasses for Men, Women & Kids Glasses In fact, I'm wearing a pair of glasses (not sunglasses) from there as I type this. They may not be the highest quality frames that you can possibly buy, but they are very good, work fine, the prescriptions are the same as from my local optometrist, and the price makes them an outstanding value.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:10   #37

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by aewing View Post

Thanks for your input, very helpful. How is Belize these days? Nice people and world class diving when I visited near Placencia in 2001.
Still a good cruising ground...once you get done w the a'hole officials.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:11   #38

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post

Technically that is an acronym.
One Acronym!!

LASIK
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:36   #39

Boat: Island Packet 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Some of us can't wear contacts (they don't come in bifocals yet)
I have been wearing multifocal contact lenses for many years. The only time I have any trouble with my eyes is night watches when I have my sunglasses off. The wind tends to dry out my eyes so I take my contacts out (for the recommended soaking anyway) and wear my glasses unless it is raining.

Best wishes with your cruising! Oh and BTW, I keep a spare pair in my ditch bag.
Alibi35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:01   #40
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

due to my underlying condition, i have photophobia---severe sun sensitivity. when i used to have to wear glasses(---my eyes have self corrected !!!! ) i used to wear the over all wrap arounds --- cataract glasses--
now i just wear the darkest i can find, preferably polarized cheap sunglasses!!

i had to wear glasses since i was 8 yrs old---i have been so ecstatically happy to be able to wear cheap sunglasses and be able to see!!!!!!! life is sooooo gooood!!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:23   #41

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, everyone,

I guess my way is the cheapest option, as my polarized fitovers cost $20.00 apiece when I bought them.

Therapy, they weigh 1.35 ozs. with an elastic retainer strap on them. For even lighter weight, you can melt a tiny hole through the earpiece tip, and use lightweight monofil to make your own "strap", just make the stopper knots on the outside, so they don't dig into you.

I have corrective lenses for my dive goggles. Actually, there were bifocal contact lenses back in the '80's, weighted slightly so they'd float bottom down. They were hard lenses, not soft, and I never tried them. I haven't a clue whether they are still available. I have found trifocals suit my needs better, because I like to work on stuff with Jim, and I need to see in that beyond my fingertips, but not way out there, range.

I have lost one pair of glasses in all my years of sailing, they floated off me when I fell in the drink one time, never to be seen again.

ALWAYS KEEP A SPARE PAIR!

Ann
Old 11-09-2013, 09:25   #42

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I don't wear contacts. I can't stick things in my eye. Too sensitive.

Prescription sunglasses are too expensive.

8 dollar clip-ons.

Your my kinda guy. I have lost so many pairs of sunglasses I could have bought a really RIB by now.....
brutb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 14:33   #43

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
I have 20-350 correction. Mostly too much for the lasar and it would make a mess of my ability to work up close. I would go from near sighted to far sighted. I get the best polycarbonate hard-coated lenses available. You really have to be careful to avoid scratches. They are expensive.

I rarely wear sunglasses but we are under the navy blue bimini most of the time. I occasionally have my old, spare glasses tinted.

Get a hat with a dark under brim color too.
Good advice.
I go a lot without sunglasses. Partly because of issues stated here. My Tillie, with the dark green is the best hat I have ever had. Shame it took 40 years to justify the expense.
But I would like to have the sunglasses at times.
Old 11-09-2013, 14:38   #44

The self darkening glasses are very nice for boating. Not polarized but pretty darn handy.... you go into town in the bright light and after dinner in the dark return with no changes or keeping track of things... If I was going out cruising again i woiuld definitely have them even if Ihad other things too.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 14:39   #45

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by aewing View Post
I'm also not a candidate for Lasik yet because of my astigmatism. I really like the idea of investing in a pair of great shades and amortizing the cost over their lifespan, but the fact that I loose sunglasses like it's my job has me second guessing the whole idea
I used to lose sunglasses almost as fast as I lost umbrellas, but that was before I got prescription glasses when I was @ 40, and I basically always wore cheapies of one sort or another.

I take really good care of my prescription sunglasses...like I said, I've had the Rayban frames for like 8 years. They have a bright yellow floating retainer on them, and I'm very careful polishing them. One benefit of a good pair is their optical quality and UV protection...hey really are heads and shoulders above clip-ons or fit overs, but that's just me. I do have to say I really had to think it over for a week when it came time to update the prescription, given how expensive it was, but I figured it was a lot less expensive than getting cataracts or macular degeneration.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail