Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2018, 08:43   #91

Re: Sailing Gloves? Yea or Nay?

I have to say I really am surprised, I did not expect to see so many "rules" folks on here.
I dare say in all my years of sailing I have not heard so many rules.
I have not always sailed alone, although I prefer it these days, but I can not remember once sternly stating the rules like someone who takes themselves way too seriously.
I do normally state that while aboard the 1812 articles of war are in effect.....but I don't take it seriously.
Oh, I should state I have not had many people killed, maimed, injured, damaged, lost, hurt or otherwise impaired while under my COMMAND.

Perhaps all the folks I would normally converse or associate with just don't bother to post a comment. I am beginning to think so.

Awesome entertainment though, hearing all the rules.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 09:13   #92

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allied39 View Post
I have to say I really am surprised, I did not expect to see so many "rules" folks on here.
I dare say in all my years of sailing I have not heard so many rules.
I have not always sailed alone, although I prefer it these days, but I can not remember once sternly stating the rules like someone who takes themselves way too seriously.
I do normally state that while aboard the 1812 articles of war are in effect.....but I don't take it seriously.
Oh, I should state I have not had many people killed, maimed, injured, damaged, lost, hurt or otherwise impaired while under my COMMAND.

Perhaps all the folks I would normally converse or associate with just don't bother to post a comment. I am beginning to think so.

Awesome entertainment though, hearing all the rules.
At the risk of scuttling my own thread... the only rule here you need to be concerned with is the one that says its not polite to laugh at other people because they do things differently than you do. Wear a life jacket...don't wear a life jacket, but laughing at others who choose to wear belts and suspenders is just tacky.
Old 19-12-2018, 11:06   #93

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

For me it’s all about good habits. Inflatable pfd with harness always when not tied up. Gloves on unless I’m doing something that requires my full hand feeling.
Shoes always.

If I’m in the habit of working with those conditions then I never need to alter things when need be.
Old 21-12-2018, 08:01   #94

Boat: William Atkins 26' tops'l gaff cutter

I sail primarily on the Inside Passage, Seattle to Alaska, May through August. It is often cold enough to have three or four layers on. No winches on my 26 foot gaff cutter... sweat the main up, and the anchor rode comes up by hand as well.

The only gloves suitable to the task are heavy duty rubber gloves, fleece lined. I have unlined versions, too... not ALWAYS cold ;-).

These gloves are inexpensive (less than $15 a pair), durable, and great for my purposes... don't wear them all the time... just while handling anchor rode and halyards
Old 21-12-2018, 08:16   #95

As a female sailor, I do use gloves. It depends if you are sailing a boat with electric winches and size of lines. For a one week excursion, you don't need to spend the money. More important to have a good sun hat and nice cover for over the swim suit for a week. I would also protect my feet with a pair of boat shoes, when your not used to sailing jamming your toes is a real issue. Cheers and have fun.
Clipper747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 08:17   #96

Boat: Beneteau 423, 43’

Yea for sailing gloves, nice to have the protection, though I don’t always wear them. A different set of heavy duty work gloves for hauling a mooring sand line. I do enjoy not cutting my hands on the crusty life that forms on sand lines, and I prefer gloves over grasping the slime coated lines bare handed. More importantly, my wife feels the same way.

Cheers!
Fbfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 08:34   #97

Boat: S2 9.2 30'

I usually wear the left glove only. Went to the dermatologist and she burned off 2 cancerous growths on my right hand. Next year both gloves.
Rchido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 08:51   #98

Small boats with 3/8 and under modern Spectra/poly line, gloves can make a day of racing a lot more enjoyable, but stick with a good quality set that stands up to salt water (or remember to wash them) and use the fingerless ones.

Bigger vessels with manilla line and big dock lines, better to build up calluses imho; the strain on bigger lines can snag gloved finger and drag it
fuzzywuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 10:25   #99

Dinghy racing = Always
Paradise cruising = Never
rasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 20:48   #100

Just for an anchor chain....at the helm they make using a touch screen MFD impossible
TNRivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 21:38   #101

Anyone over 70 will appreciate gloves when handling a wheel all day long in following seas. They will also appreciate the extra grip a glove offers when handling lines. Hand strength isn't quite what it used to be.

(and my wife isn't interested in acquiring calluses or visiting her dermatologist for removal of any more melanoma spots. She wears gloves!)
timeout2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 07:23   #102
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRivers View Post
Just for an anchor chain....at the helm they make using a touch screen MFD impossible

Another touch screen sailor?

And aren't two finger tips clipped off?

(Most days I forget to turn the instruments on. If I'm day sailing or cruising locally, they aren't needed.)
Old 22-12-2018, 07:31   #103

The restricting word "sailing" in the phrase sailing gloves is kind of funny;-)
Handling ropes at sea means wearing sailing gloves to me and my wife for the last 30y - motoryachting or sailing. It's sort of the argue of helmets at skiing/motorcycles... or buckling up. A experienced... don't need...

Usually you don't know in advance the situation which requests the protectors.
This question reminds me of my grandma's explanation why she didn't need to buckle up while driving her Mercedes - 35y ago.

The pain of a burned palm or fingers has never been a desirable experience.
We wonder how many folks don't use them.
May be we are not smart enough :-))
x2y3z4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 09:55   #104

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2y3z4 View Post
The restricting word "sailing" in the phrase sailing gloves is kind of funny;-)
Handling ropes at sea means wearing sailing gloves to me and my wife for the last 30y - motoryachting or sailing. It's sort of the argue of helmets at skiing/motorcycles... or buckling up. A experienced... don't need...

Usually you don't know in advance the situation which requests the protectors.
This question reminds me of my grandma's explanation why she didn't need to buckle up while driving her Mercedes - 35y ago.

The pain of a burned palm or fingers has never been a desirable experience.
We wonder how many folks don't use them.
May be we are not smart enough :-))
Welcome aboard x2y3z4!

You know I was just thinking, another way to think of this is that if I were to crew on a delivery, or were to skipper a delivery, I'd be expecting that all the crew that showed up would be prepared with their own PFD, harness, probably whistle, light and PLB, deck shoes and gloves. Right? I mean wouldn't most of us?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 10:26   #105

Boat: Catalina 30

We would sail J-24s all season, then in February the club would head to Moorings and sail the Caribbean on a 50' clorox bottle. Always saw someone grab a moving sheet and get burned. What if there is an emergency that involves sharp things?
iyamwhatiyam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing