Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 18:17   #1

Boat: gulfstar sloop 44ft
Safety on Board

Ok hubby tells me not to go there but.... I don't listen very well. So on that note ;-)
I know that a lot of countrys say no guns and so do a lot of people.
I have been reading many sites articles n blogs telling of the horrors of being boarded by not so nice people.
So the question is what is exceptable to protect yourself if such a thing happens
I have a great imagination but ...nothing I come up with sounds like it would stop them cold.
I used to work at a marina n was told by several use flare gun legal to have aboard in all countrys.
I'm sorry that its a bad topic but it is of concern. [To me any ways]
ulpilot45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 18:54   #2

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: safety on board

Connie feels the same way you do ! we do carry some pretty good Flare guns aboard our boats ! and so far, 25 + years, We have had no problems as yet ! never had to use them YET but we would if the need was there ! I know for sure others carry them also! just our 2 cents !
Old 01-04-2012, 19:02   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie
Connie feels the same way you do ! we do carry some pretty good Flare guns aboard our boats ! and so far, 25 + years, We have had no problems as yet ! never had to use them YET but we would if the need was there ! I know for sure others carry them also! just our 2 cents !
Several countries regard flare gun as firearms and require licensing. In my opinion the conventional hand held ones are better less trouble and more common. I am increasingly of the opinion that rockets are a waste of time, but anti collision and orange locator ones are useful for SAR helicopters.

Dave
Old 01-04-2012, 19:09   #4

What countrys ?? I would like to know so I can skip them !! never had trouble ! only been asked for firearms .
Old 01-04-2012, 19:23   #5

Boat: gulfstar sloop 44ft
Bob n Connie thanks happy to know I'm not alone on that.
Goboatingnow.. considered weapon??? Wth?? I was always told a must and have been on boats tcketed for not having them..
Must know what cuntrys those are. I don't think they will be on our travel pages..
My husband says scuba diving spear gun. Does me no good its bigger then me!! My kids came up with spudzooka n use golf balls hollar 4 n fire..
So at my husbands dismay we wll have. Very lrge dog and my ankle biter who is trained a little north of the ankles.
I pray we never hve to use any but iam the worrying one in this family.
ulpilot45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 19:55   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie
What countrys ?? I would like to know so I can skip them !! never had trouble ! only been asked for firearms .
The UK requires a permit, not difficult to get.

Dave
Old 01-04-2012, 20:01   #7

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Trinidad will confiscate flare "pistols" but not stick flares or other flares. The reason being that flare "pistols" can be used with a steel barrel insert to make a regular pistol.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 20:09   #8

Re: saftey on board

Gee 2 so far !! One Ive been to and the other is to cold !!
Old 01-04-2012, 21:53   #9

Boat: Holman & Pye Red Admiral 36

If you are just looking for an alternative to a firearm/flare gun etc. to temporarily incapacite a boarder, an extremely effective "weapon" is a dry chemical fire extinguisher in the 5 to 20-lb capacity size.

Dry chemical has a range of 10-14 feet, will discharge for at least 10-seconds, makes an expanding cloud that will easily envolpe a person (preferably his face), temporarily blind them and cause moderate to serve respiratory distress. It is also non-lethal.

I've seen this happen several times at fire fighting schools and at actual fire scenes - and these were accidents, not a deliberate discharge at a persons face. On at least one occasion, 2 maritme sheriff's officers had to be hospitalized for 2 days when they tried extinguishing a boat fire and hit each other with the dry chemical discharge!

In my opinion, you should have this large of a dry chemical fire extinguisher stored in the main cabin/navigation area for use on interior, engine room or cockpit fires. That it work's as a weapon is an extra plus.

Another idea is a camera with a really bright flash. The flash can temporarily blind / dis-orientate them, and you will have a picture of the people to show to the local authorities.

Flare guns were considered a "firearm - pistol" in England and ours was held by Customs until we left the country.

For real firearms, all countries allow a vessel to have at least one weapon for self defense. It may involve getting the Port Captain or local Maritime Security people involved, but you do have that right. It should be declared, will usually have seals placed on it, and should be kept in a locked, fixed to the vessel storage area.

We use to carry a handgun onboard throughout Europe/Atlantic Islands, Carribbean Islands, Venezulea and only delcared in once - in Portugal. The Customs Officer didn't want to know about it, but filled out the 3 pages of forms for us, put a wire and lead seal on the trigger, and sent us on our way.

While in Venzuelea, the local Naval patrol boats were confiscating firearms until one cruiser protested to the District Naval Commander - who immediately told his people to immediately return all firearms as yachts had a right to defense. This was in the late 80's - early 90's.

The world has changed since then, but we could carry a firearm onboard the container ship that I was Captain of (2004 - 2009) - you just had to make the declaration. The ship really tramped around and we went to numerous European, Carribbean and Central American countries. The caliper of weapons that seemed to be acceptable (they were always on the forms) were 9-mm, 7.62 (.308 or 30/06) and 12-gauge.

It use to be extremely easy to buy firearms outside of the US - far easier than buying them in the US. You could buy 5 handguns, 5 rifles and 5 shotguns while in a country, and Customs would deliver them to your vessel upon departure.

We are going to be going out again on a long crusie, and will probably be taking a firearm - still haven't decided what. Rifles and shotguns - non-para military type - are the most "accepted" by officialdom. There are places you probably shouldn't go without a weapon (not including bear terrorities), but do you really need to go there?

Anyways, just my thoughts.

Doug Brown
Doug Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 22:47   #10

Boat: Krogen 58' Xiao Xiu
Send a message via MSN to JayCall

Doug-if you are carrying, you might want to avoid Mexico. Gun laws are the strictest and penalties can be draconian and include possession not only of firearms, but of ammunition as well. Penalty is 5 years-although first timers can get off with a few thousand dollar fine and confiscation of your vehicle. And that is if you declare it. Don;t declare and they find it-big trouble. To bring a gun in, you need permission from the Mexican Government before you travel there and it is not that easy to get.

This has been talked about on several threads here-check it out before you go.
JayCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 23:21   #11

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Stay home.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 23:24   #12

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

It's amazing what a face full of Bear Repellant will do in a pinch,,or Mace,,a face Full "O" Mace,,Or flare gun with a 12 gauge insert, and a load of rock salt.

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 23:37   #13

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Stay home.
Exactly,
Most of the posters come from one of the most violent nations on the planet yet have a fear of bad people.
They read a story or two about an incredibly small % of cruisers that strike trouble, a far smaller % than what would be in their own neighbourhood where they happily live and extrapolate that out to we are all at risk and need bazookas.

Irrational fear.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:05   #14
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulpilot45 View Post
So the question is what is acceptable to protect yourself if such a thing happens
A good exercise is to work thru which scenarios will actually benefit you from producing a firearm with the intent to use it.

Unless you purposely put yourself in “harms way”, there are no more scenarios, than when you are in your home country. (Some would even argue... less)

Where cruisers get into trouble is that they open themselves up too much to strangers.

Be it in a club or bar, sharing plans and schedules as if they were trusted neighbors or kindred spirits of the sailing dream.

Your best weapon is a wise degree of reserve and a policy of applying disinformation when speaking with the locals…

.That also works well at home.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:46   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

See Post #1 ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/....html#post8635

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety