Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 09:23   #31

Re: safety on board

Trinidad didnt confiscate my flare pistols, never asked about them and I would guess most all the boats there have them.
My friends carried some heavy weapons with them at first. (AR15 etc) They got fed up with having to carry them around for impound and the other troubles .... ended up selling them to the officials in one country who were ecstatic!
A powered spear gun would be a good weapon and less likely to get you in trouble with the authorities. Most authorities understand that even if their country doesnt allow spearfishing, that many countries do and you are traveling through....
Having a dog is probably a good deterrant.... lock up at night. I have a feeling that people who get too much in the "dont worry be happy" mode as they go along become the easier targets.... I had a 9 volt trip wire alarm (radio shack $10) that I put accross the cockpit at night using a fishing line tripwire. That thing was loud as heck! With the twin hull steps on the catamaran, I felt I was an easy target... so easy to get aboard quietly....
I think anyone who doesnt lock their boat or house up these days is naive. The odds are low but things occur all the time, every day. In cities, in the country, everywhere. My guess is it's worse right now with the deep recession effecting people worldwide. Goverments are being overthrown right and left etc the last couple of years... people cant eat.
Dont worry, but dont be foolish would be my suggestion.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:37   #32
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: safety on board

so far, while i have been interminably cruising mexico, i have only been intruded upon by the attempt on y engine--ob on transom in ensenada, and an invasion by a gringo sailoor wishing to keep my charts-- he got them while i shopped for provisions early into my mazatlan adventure--i have not locked my boat nor had attempted intrusion while i was onboard.. i found my louisville slugger to be totally adequate in protecting meself. i also have secret weaponry--gaffs and spray cans.
there is no need to potentially lose boat to having weapons on board that are considered contraband by the countries thru which i cruise. mebbe i might lock my ports and doors in a place wherein the cruisers have had more problems, but i feel safe now--no one needs lock doors in la cruz de huanacaxtle.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:54   #33

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Safety on Board

Why bring a gun to go places that are dangerous if one can go without a gun to places that are not dangerous?

Is it not some sort of pre-meditation? Are we bringing a gun to play with it or to use it?

To use a gun one needs the skill and the guts to use it. Local thug will be most likely faster and more willing to pull the trigger.

Once you use the gun, you will probably face most serious consequences with local authorities.

Been places, three of them claimed real bad places, I am back and writing this post.

Leave your guns at home. Go places where you do not need a gun. Do not sponsor countries that do not offer you adequate protection with your hard earned cruising money!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:07   #34
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3
I'm an old "Black Powder" fanatic, carry a couple 50s in rifle form and a couple old navy 45s.. been boarded by the CG a number of times and when I mention I have them aboard, they chuckle.. I've even got a small 1inch cannon.. No issue..
Of what I'm to understand, the US as well as outher countries dont concider them to be firearms.. I've also traveled with them in baggage and declared them, never had a issue.
Just remember to keep your powder dry...
Black powder is classed in many countries as an explosive unlike modern smokeless propellants It's often regulated more tightly then conventional ammunition.

Dave
Old 02-04-2012, 11:20   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Why bring a gun to go places that are dangerous if one can go without a gun to places that are not dangerous?

Is it not some sort of pre-meditation? Are we bringing a gun to play with it or to use it?

To use a gun one needs the skill and the guts to use it. Local thug will be most likely faster and more willing to pull the trigger.

Once you use the gun, you will probably face most serious consequences with local authorities.

Been places, three of them claimed real bad places, I am back and writing this post.

Leave your guns at home. Go places where you do not need a gun. Do not sponsor countries that do not offer you adequate protection with your hard earned cruising money!

b.
Sounds like you're going to limit your cruising to Saudi Arabia and Hong Kong! Ha! OK... maybe Sweden....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:38   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulpilot45 View Post
Ok hubby tells me not to go there but.... I don't listen very well. So on that note ;-)
I know that a lot of countrys say no guns and so do a lot of people.
I have been reading many sites articles n blogs telling of the horrors of being boarded by not so nice people.
So the question is what is exceptable to protect yourself if such a thing happens
I have a great imagination but ...nothing I come up with sounds like it would stop them cold.
I used to work at a marina n was told by several use flare gun legal to have aboard in all countrys.
I'm sorry that its a bad topic but it is of concern. [To me any ways]
It all depends on where you're planning on cruising. You don't need a gun in Europe and shouldn't have one. In the Caribbean I never had the slightest confrontation. I carried on board a "Shortie" speargun and a Flare pistol. Never had a flare pistol confiscated, (if taken, simply buy another). Local police(FL) say wasp spray is better than the other spray weapons. I can't speak for Mexico but in the Caribbean avoid known trouble areas and secluded anchorages and you won't be accosted. Good sailing!
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:43   #37
CLOD

Boat: none

Sometimes it sounds like the safest thing to do is ......................... stay away from other cruisers!
Old 02-04-2012, 12:09   #38

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Sounds like you're going to limit your cruising to Saudi Arabia and Hong Kong! Ha! OK... maybe Sweden....
Well, we have sailed a rtw without weapons onboard. Hence my opinions.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 13:03   #39
Armchair Bucketeer

Despite the endless repeats - I think it is an entirely reasonable concern. An ounce of forethought / preparation is worth a bucket of remedial action ......but at the end of the day you have to accept some risk when turning up in unfamiliar places.

How you manage that risk is a choice each must make.

I am in 2 minds on the gun thing, probably won't due to the hassle. But might do . But that really only so I don't need to chop up anyone who has arrived onboard uninvited with an axe or a machete, before they get dead.

In the UK we have a law that is based on it being OK to use "reasonable force" - back in the real world there is no such thing, only a reasonable time to use everything you have until the problem has ceased to exist. Your "opponent" knows this already.......Come on my boat in the dead of night, then either you or me will be leaving somewhat less alive than when you arrived.....the legal side vs body disposal and / or fleeing accross a border being a seperate thread .

For me the biggest prevention / deterrent measure is someone standing an anchor watch (and actually moving around now and again, and maybe shining a light around the deck / anchorage - not snoozing in the cockpit ). Most property theives like the occupants (of anything) either absent or asleep. In the olden days an anchor watch aboard a ship was not always simply about ensuring that the anchor didn't drag - and ringing out the ships bell every hour not only says "all's well" to those down below, but also says to others "someone is awake / alert" and "eff off for an easier target" .

Of course one may have to change sleep patterns - but, not such a biggie if you are somewhere that you would really like to have a gun. Remember that guns don't work when you are asleep - well, not by you they don't.........

But the biggest prevention measure is not to go somewhere that needing a gun (or any other armanent) is required. Over here I haven't locked my dink for 5 years. Hell, I haven't had any washboards in place for 3 years - with several K of tools down below mostly unattended. Now and again I leave the keys in my motorbike, and car being left unlocked is not exactly unusual. I've tried the alternative way of interacting with people, and whilst there are plusses and minuses to each approach - I prefer life this way. There are pleasant places in the world .

(and BTW we don't have the English phobia about gun licensing - albeit I think to get something that needs a tripod you do need to pass the test of being "ok"......but we are mostly unarmed. I am - in fact I have never owned a gun).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 13:29   #40
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: saftey on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Its irrational when you as a US citizen probably have a better chance of getting into trouble going about daily life in your own neighbourhood.
Do you suffer from paranoia every time you go down the shops?
Why would you be on your boat ?

It's irrational when you take part of my post and go off on it. You completely missed what I said.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 13:55   #41

The Australian government are looking at banning water pistols....
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 14:05   #42

Boat: Mason 43

I would like to see some form of crime statistics. In 50+ years I have never had a problem and only know of one first hand where some one stole the prop of of my neighbors dingy outboard while he was sleeping, I was in the next slip and never heard a thing. Fear or concern whether warranted or perceived is not to be treated lightly it is still real fear and needs to be addressed.
jmackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 14:17   #43
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackay View Post
I would like to see some form of crime statistics. In 50+ years I have never had a problem and only know of one first hand where some one stole the prop of of my neighbors dingy outboard while he was sleeping, I was in the next slip and never heard a thing. Fear or concern whether warranted or perceived is not to be treated lightly it is still real fear and needs to be addressed.

I'm not saying guns are the answer, but last week someone tried to steal a sailboat right out of the marina I live in. A couple of months ago, friends were anchored out when their dinghy and motor were stolen.

In that period of time, I don't know anyone who has been a victim of any kind of crime or attempted crime on land. And no, I don't live in a high crime area. Crime may not be common among boaters, but it's not some magical crime-free zone, either.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 14:40   #44

Boat: gulfstar sloop 44ft
I should learn to listen to hubby...lol
ulpilot45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 14:48   #45

Boat: gulfstar sloop 44ft
Look folks I wasn't trying to start sh** . I just wanted to know alternatives to protecting ourselves and ideas n things other use. I'm not for pulling a gun believe me though if I feel threatned enough I will shoot to kill. I wil happily deal with consequences because I'm still alive they wouldn't be. BUT I don't want a gun and I don't own a gun.
So allow me to ask it this way if I was on land n wanted to know about an areabeing safe I would go to local police or paper to see what's going on in that area. At sea who do I ask where do I check ??
ulpilot45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety