Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2020, 10:48   #1

Safe to cruise after a massive stroke?

After many years of sailing, racing and boat ownership, the admiral and I were ready to make good on my plan to sail off into Adventureland. However, at age 55 she was diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimer's. I lost her a decade later.
After selling the house, I gave away most of my possessions and helped one of my offspring buy his first home. After camping in a guest room in AZ while revamping his place, I had a major stroke. Sounds like a much-hated country song. Now to the point.
I'm 69, not in the best health, but I can sorta walk with a cane while dragging around a fairly useless left arm and hand. A much-desired sailboat is out of the picture but can I safely operate a live-aboard pocket cruiser? My preference is to travel on the East Coast and eventually the loop. My daughter and adorable grandchildren live in along the Intracoastal where I was whelped. Getting back there and on the water is of utmost importance. Doable or folly?
web51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 12:07   #2

Boat: Seaward 22
Re: Safe to cruise after a massive stroke?

Have you considered a small power boat like the c-dory? Have a windlass to raise the anchor and small enough to handle easily. Also, easy to sell if needed.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 12:30   #3

Boat: Formosa 41

I met a one armed guy on a sailboat.

We anchored together in the same creek during hurricane Irene.

I vote that you can do it.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 12:36   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

What does your cardiologist say? If you're going to keel over anyway (pun intended), you might as well enjoy yourself doing what you want until then. Taking it slow in a boat you can handle would be a lot better than slouched in the barco-lounger with the TV blaring, grumbling, wishing you were somewhere else all the time, and being grouchy with everyone who comes near.

P.S. There's a guy with only one hand doing the Vendée Globe. Talk about single-handed sailing.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 12:40   #5
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by web51 View Post
I'm 69, not in the best health, but I can sorta walk with a cane while dragging around a fairly useless left arm and hand. ....... Doable or folly?
I normally am in the “go for it group”,, but this time I feel it is a folly. Besides the physical limitations I place great weight on that you question it enough yourself to ask a bunch of strangers.

One boat rock with lost footing, which is 100% going to happen, is going to do you in.

Sorry you have had bad times.
Old 30-11-2020, 12:42   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Web, do have a long talk with the cardiologist, and possibly a neurologist as well. What I'd be concerned about is simply this, whatever boat you get (and I think a little motor boat is not a bad idea, if you have someone with you who can take over if you have a stroke while at the helm): are you willing to risk having another stroke, and possibly kill or injure another family on the water?

So, I think your right to your desired future depends on keeping it safe for "innocents" around you.

Sorry to throw such a harsh reality at you. How much of a risk you are/will be to others will depend on your decisions and your medical realities.

Ann
Old 30-11-2020, 12:45   #7

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

It would be advisable to bring along a friend who can monitor you and help with the hard stuff. The last thing you need is to get caught in a sudden blow with the sails full, and you there by yourself.
You could also buy a boat made for single handing, roller main, roller jib, anchor roller etc. and then be sure to keep an EPIRB on you at all times, clip yourself to a lifeline, have a working DSC VHF, as well as Inreach Sat Phone, so help is a pushbutton away.
It would be risky, but you "might" be ok. See if you can find someone to go along with you. I wish you luck.
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 13:12   #8

I’m pretty sure the guy on YouTube channel Sailing Doodles suffered a stroke. Ask him.
Old 30-11-2020, 16:13   #9

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Web51, my wife just had a stroke, less than a month ago. I think the deficits you are dealing with are more severe than hers. I’ve known people with disabilities to overcome their deficits and accomplish many things they and others thought were not possible. But, as I’m sure you know, one of the predictors of future stroke is having had a previous stroke. I’m now struggling with the questions about taking my wife out on the boat, potentially many hours from medical response in the event of another stroke. When hers occurred we fortunately were at home in our house having dinner. In less than a minute I called for the paramedics and in less than twenty minutes she was in the ER being treated. I shudder to think of the outcome if we were hours away and needed a helicopter medevac.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 17:23   #10

No, it is not safe. You know it isn't.

Is there no hope of improvement?

Better diet? Fasting? Stem cell therapy? I'd be looking into that rather than buying a boat. It's not just you who's being endangered. Maybe focus on your health first before thinking of outrunning the dogs.
Heathenly Twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 17:30   #11

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Web51,

The premise of this entire answer is based upon you single handling your own boat. So, let's dive in:

If I may have some additional information, I can provide a better answer. Was your stroke an intracerebral bleed, or from a blood clot that blocked one of your cerebral arteries? Do you have other medical issues like high blood pressure, diabetes, and something called atrial fibrillation. Are you taking blood thinners or aspirin or plavix? These answers will help me understand your medical risks.

Now, to the more important part of the discussion regarding your quality of life, and what you wish to accomplish with your life. It's important to remember that your quality of life can only be determined by you. This next part is a given, but worth stating: Sailing is a continuum ranging from living at the dock, to day-sailing, to anchoring out, to crossing ocean to living aboard and abroad. All of this brings joy to those who participate at the various levels. What level of sailing will bring YOU joy from sailing at this point in your life? Perhaps just ghosting along the water under sail will be enough. Once you have decided that, then you can work a plan to get sailing because you will have a defined goal that will bring you joy.

Of course there are risks involved, but there are also benefits. The risks are known, so let's look at benefits. The thought of getting on your boat will energize you. Sailing is as spiritual as it is material. The physicality of sailing will strengthen you. You will have to adjust to how you move on board, be more proactive in maneuvers, and pick your weather windows much better than before. You will have to clip in and wear a tether at all times, and so on.

I believe your goal is attainable, with certain precautions and adjustments.

Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:28   #12

Boat: Currently boatless

Sailing Doodles Bobbie's stroke was relatively minor in that it only meant his pilot's licence was understandably revoked.
Ken Pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:39   #13

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Sorry about your health issues but this is silly - no one here can possibly give you an authoritative answer. Go for it. Dont go for it. Your choice but clearly at some point you will be relying on others for help so your choice will effect others too. Do you want that?
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:54   #14

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

"can I safely operate a live-aboard pocket cruiser?" Getting back ... on the water is of utmost importance." "Doable or folly?"

Sorry for your troubles. Can you operate a boat? Sounds to me like Yes. Safely? No, of course not (assuming you are alone?). But we are well past that now, aren't we? Sounds to me like living your life the way you want to is paramount - & why not.

The risk to others? Assuming you are not operating a high speed power cruiser but just moving at displacement speeds or sailing, I think the risk to others is pretty minimal. Except to the rescue people of course- but you know that already.

Buy a boat. Live aboard in a marina near your grandchildren. Try getting out to sea for day trips or weekends with a capable crew onboard. See how you get on. Take it from there. Best of luck to you.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:55   #15

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

If the Intracoastal Waterway and The Loop are your goals, I'm not sure you want a sailboat. With all its sandbars and traffic the Intracoastal is not particularly friendly to sailboats. You would probably end up motoring the vast majority of the time anyway.

If I were in your situation, and at 74 might be in the not-too-distant future, I'd go for it - but with a powerboat. Personally I LIKE to go slow so a thirty-footer with a small diesel would be my choice. Perhaps a small, older, American or Nordic Tug (the new ones have too much power, burn too much fuel, and generate TERRIBLE wakes - which would not make you popular on the Intracoastal!)

Go for it! With a cell phone you're not far from help on the Intracoastal and it sure as heck beats living in a ticky-tacky box throwing things at the TV!
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise