Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2018, 16:25   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Red Tide on the Move

All you snowbirds heading south might want to hold up a bit as Red Tide is now moving up the East Coast of Florida. The bacteria causing Red Tide is harmful and even in small concentrations can affect people with specific sensitivities.

I suggest you do your due diligence regarding this.

Information can be found at Red Tide - Statewide Status

https://www.local10.com/news/local/f...ort-lauderdale
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 17:32   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Red Tide on the Move

Telling picture.

https://apnews.com/c599925bdb9e4cebb...a's-coasts
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 06:03   #3

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Freeze,
We sailed from Tarpon Springs to Tampa Bay on Saturday. The Gulf, 3 miles offshore, was littered with dead fish by the thousands--largely, small Mangrove Snappers and a few smaller grouper. The water, however, did not show any signs of red tide. We were in about 20-30 feet of water. Best, Rognvald
Old 16-10-2018, 07:32   #4
SFS

I sailed from Venice to St. Pete yesterday. The water was clean, and I only saw one dead fish (a mullet). However I saw only a few dolphin, which struck me as odd.
SFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 08:02   #5

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
All you snowbirds heading south might want to hold up a bit as Red Tide is now moving up the East Coast of Florida. The bacteria causing Red Tide is harmful and even in small concentrations can affect people with specific sensitivities.

I suggest you do your due diligence regarding this.

Information can be found at Red Tide - Statewide Status

https://www.local10.com/news/local/f...ort-lauderdale
The organism causing the Red Tide, karenia brevis, is an algae, not a bacterium. The distinction is important. The algae does produce a toxin that irritates, and those with impaired respiratory function would do well to completely stay away from it.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 17:59   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Catalina 250 MKII

In addition to the Red Tide and Toxic Blue-Green Algae, there captains have reported areas of the Gulf where crabs are swimming on the surface and dying. Beach goers in Naples reported thousands of dead crabs on the beach. Local scientists say that the "Dead Zones" are areas with very little oxygen. The crabs are moving into shoal areas and onto beaches in an attempt to get more oxygen.
My charter trips this summer encountered some dead mullet, ladyfish and several Goliaths. Going out the pass in late July & early August, some of my passengers (and me) experienced coughing - which ended as we got a 1/4 out into the Gulf.
From what several of my biologist friends tell me, it is not solely the fault of Big Sugar, Cattle farms, Citrus Growers. Residential homeowners putting fertilizers and Growth mixtures on lawns, pet owners not picking up dog droppings. Floridians need to work together to combat the causes of Red Tide, Blue-Green Algae and the new Dead Zones. Biologists do say that Red Tide is a naturally occurring Algae but human activities (fertilizers, sewage, etc) exacerbate it.
Buc210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 16:22   #7

Boat: Freedom 30 cat ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buc210 View Post
Biologists do say that Red Tide is a naturally occurring Algae but human activities (fertilizers, sewage, etc) exacerbate it.
Correct. They are a naturally occurring phenomenon. For example (there are many possible scenarios), when there is a period of no wind and high insolation after a previous period of intense rainfall. The rain carries high concentration of nutrients by runoff into the shallow coastal areas. Dead calm produces vertical stratification in the water column. Nutrients concentrate in the upper layers. Red tides are most often produced by dynoflagelates. These are a group of unicellular algae that have one or more flagellae (like a sperm cell). This means they can swim quite effectively. They concentrate in the upper layers of the water column, making use of available nutrients and sunlight to reproduce, and out-competing most other phytoplankton species.

Problem with this, is that they deplete the dissolved oxygen in the water, causing mass mortality of fish and crustaceans. Some species also produce toxins. The discomfort from being by the sea during a red tide (pic of masked guy posted posted by DeepFrz), is not caused by toxins, but by -most likely- ammonia. Ammonia is a byproduct of the bacterial metabolism of nitrous compounds (all those fish and crabs, and much more decomposing on the bottom). Low concentration of ammonia on sea spray are still very irritating. Dynoflagellate toxins are too low in concentration in the water, even if you are swimming in it or swallow a bit of it. What is not recommended, is to eat shellfish (oysters, mussels, prawns) during or immediately after a red tide. Most shellfish are filter feeders. They accumulate the toxins, without harm to themselves, in their tissues, at concentrations that land us in the hospital.

But the phenomenon in natural, albeit exacerbated by organic pollution. If it is not caused by dynoflagellates but by phytoplankton green algae, it's called simply and algal bloom. It happens in all oceans above the 30th parallel in spring and early summer.
seadago is offline   Reply With Quote