Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2016, 10:32   #16

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]
Re: Recommended First Aid Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
This is the exact same kit we started out with. Many items I listed are included in this kit but the following are not and our experiences showed they are a must:

- Battle dressings. The kit has trauma pads which are a clumsy substitute, especially because it also lacks the Kerlix bandage rolls.
- Kerlix bandage rolls.
- Superglue.
- Celox.
- vaseline gauze.

The last item is not a life saver because regular gauze works as well, but we have dealt with rather serious scrape wounds on legs on several occasions (often) and it is very hard for both patient and nurse to change them as they become stuck to the wound badly. The vaseline gauze is a game changer.

I don't understand why superglue isn't added to every kit but I heard it is about liability as idiots glue their eyelids etc. It is the most effective suture method in the field and the most used method worldwide. The time of sowing your wounds shut Rambo style are behind us luckily

The 3000 kit has only one big negative and that is the bag itself. A waterproof case like the Pelican EMS I linked to above is a huge step up but also adds significant cost which is why it isn't included of-course. Before we bought this case, we improved the bag by packing all the items in ziplock bags to keep them dry. This works good enough when budget is limited. The separate mini-bags in the big bag also help a bit for rain and spray.

What I like from Adventure Medical is that they sell these mini-kits to add or replace things such as the dental kit, suture kit etc. These are also becoming waterproofed as long as they are not opened.
We absolutely agree on all counts.
Jedi,

Your list of add-ons for the Marine 3000 1st Aid kit is a good one that all should pay attention to.

In addition to those items we add:
We alternate between using the bullet proof Pelican case, and a Watershed bag for housing the large 1st aid kit. [We have several smaller kits (which rival many large kits...) always available for the day-to-day stuff...]

The costs are about the same. It depends upon whether we prefer the hard vs. soft case at the time. [We have both, and there is always an alternate use for either...]

Thanks for the input.

Cheers!

Bill [First (well, only actually...) responder to DKRoar...]
Old 08-04-2016, 20:31   #17

Boat: Lots of boats.

I don't know. Took a look at the Marine 3000 kit on their website. Unless they have medical marijuana and opium hidden in there, I don't see anything that would warrant the $700-$800 price tag. It doesn't even mention if its waterproof, which it doesn't seem to be. Sure they have 30 of everything which might come in handy if you want to help a small village, but nothing special in that kit. Things like small wound staplers, IV administer kits, and syringes are not expensive.

Seems you could put together a kit similar to the Marine 3000 by buying a nice $50 kit and adding a few things. In particular and as others have mentioned, you could augment the kit with items specific to your personal needs and include some things not covered in any of the kits. And for $20 to $50 you can put it all in a nice waterproof box. $80 will buy a larger waterproof case if you really need a first aid kit that large. But as others have mentioned, most hardly use their kits and space is usually at a premium. Although if crossing oceans, who knows what you might need.

I am a weekend sailor for the most part, so admittedly I don't fill the requirements for extended sailing stated by the OP. But I have needed a first aid kit on several occasions. I bought a Costco type kit years ago and tried using that. Having a leaky boat, I soaked it with poor placement. I then put a kit together myself. I started with a $20 kit and a $20 waterproof box. I added a flashlight, cough medicine, stomach meds, stronger pain relief, eye wash, more butterfly Band-Aids and oral antibiotics. Included trauma size pads, additional space blankets, portable BP cuff, thermometer, stethoscope, scalpel, forceps and sewing needles. I don't think I spent over $50.

Also look around, most communities have free first aid training from time to time. Being associated with the Boy Scouts since I was a kid, I picked up a lot of training along the way. Same for people in the service or connected to the fire department. If not, take the time to read the first aid book that comes with EVERY first aid kit. Worth doing before you need it.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 22:07   #18

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
We absolutely agree on all counts.
Jedi,

Your list of add-ons for the Marine 3000 1st Aid kit is a good one that all should pay attention to.

In addition to those items we add:
We alternate between using the bullet proof Pelican case, and a Watershed bag for housing the large 1st aid kit. [We have several smaller kits (which rival many large kits...) always available for the day-to-day stuff...]

The costs are about the same. It depends upon whether we prefer the hard vs. soft case at the time. [We have both, and there is always an alternate use for either...]

Thanks for the input.

Cheers!

Bill [First (well, only actually...) responder to DKRoar...]
tampons are you sure you need these or for that matter know how they work

Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 22:09   #19

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsi88 View Post
I don't know. Took a look at the Marine 3000 kit on their website. Unless they have medical marijuana and opium hidden in there, I don't see anything that would warrant the $700-$800 price tag. It doesn't even mention if its waterproof, which it doesn't seem to be. Sure they have 30 of everything which might come in handy if you want to help a small village, but nothing special in that kit. Things like small wound staplers, IV administer kits, and syringes are not expensive.

Seems you could put together a kit similar to the Marine 3000 by buying a nice $50 kit and adding a few things. In particular and as others have mentioned, you could augment the kit with items specific to your personal needs and include some things not covered in any of the kits. And for $20 to $50 you can put it all in a nice waterproof box. $80 will buy a larger waterproof case if you really need a first aid kit that large. But as others have mentioned, most hardly use their kits and space is usually at a premium. Although if crossing oceans, who knows what you might need.

I am a weekend sailor for the most part, so admittedly I don't fill the requirements for extended sailing stated by the OP. But I have needed a first aid kit on several occasions. I bought a Costco type kit years ago and tried using that. Having a leaky boat, I soaked it with poor placement. I then put a kit together myself. I started with a $20 kit and a $20 waterproof box. I added a flashlight, cough medicine, stomach meds, stronger pain relief, eye wash, more butterfly Band-Aids and oral antibiotics. Included trauma size pads, additional space blankets, portable BP cuff, thermometer, stethoscope, scalpel, forceps and sewing needles. I don't think I spent over $50.

Also look around, most communities have free first aid training from time to time. Being associated with the Boy Scouts since I was a kid, I picked up a lot of training along the way. Same for people in the service or connected to the fire department. If not, take the time to read the first aid book that comes with EVERY first aid kit. Worth doing before you need it.
Yep, make your own and save a fortune. Add some superglue to yours and some butterfly sutures. Putting stitches in a screaming patient won't work.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 21:45   #20

Boat: 1970 hinckley 38 / 1975 john alden boothbay challenger 58

assemble your own kit there a re plenty of lists online to help you assemble the necessary gear. if you're able to get your hands on some antibiotics, do so. a good book on first aid is also good to have on hand. personally I like to have israeli combat bandages on hand and well as both quickclot powder and quickclot gauze.whatever gear you assemble do yourself a favor and put it in a good waterproof case (a pelican case for example) wet salty air does nothing positive to medical gear. but just as, if not more important than the gear is training, take at least a basic emergency medical course, my personal recommendation is the USCG approved basic medical care at sea course. just about every maritime training school offers it.
frozenhawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 06:46   #21

Boat: Lots of boats.

I know this thread has been inactive for some time, but I would have to say this thread has made one of the bigger impacts on my boating preparation. I put together what I would call a pretty complete first aid kit to keep on the boat and it was thanks to the great responses and advice given here. I put together a kit for probably $200 that would rival any of those kits you see for $400-$800. And I feel I am very well prepared for most life threatening situations. And yes, it is all nicely self contained in a water proof box.

I also put together another smaller first aid kit. And the reason I did this is because I found myself opening what needs to be a pretty sterile environment over and over for little things like aspirin and band-aids. So a simple solution. I bought a cheap coleman waterproof first aid kit for about $10 on Amazon that came with the basics and I supplemented it with what I use the most often (ginger capsules, pain relief). Now I have a go to box for everyday stuff. And a more comprehensive box that can stay shut and is easily moved from car to boat depending on my travels (mostly in the car). If you are interested in building a good trauma rated first aid kit, this is a good thread to read.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men