Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2019, 15:34   #31

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Re: Rechargeable handheld LED spotlight

My previous post was for a flashlight for use around salt water. Last year as stocking stuffers for friends & family I bought ten of these with chargers and batteries: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultrafire-8...8AAOSwUM5aA5Ht

Pair that with a charger and 2 batteries: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-Garberiel-18650-3-7v-5000mAH-Rechargeable-Li-ion-Battery-Smart-Charger-USA/162474056225?hash=item25d4355a21:g:mooAAOSw99Ra3ux j

They easily slide into a pocket or purse and are as bright as any single Cree T6 LED flashlight, which is to say very bright. They put to shame an old 3 x D cell Maglite, except for fighting

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 15:45   #32
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
[Edit: be careful of your source for lithium batteries as there are a lot of recycled and counterfeit cells being sold.]

Greg
Indeed, I got a handful of "tested" ex laptop 18650's off ebay with stickers on each one of Ah capacity. After capacity testing them the stickers were garbage... but, a good few were way above the stickers, like near 2000mAh. For a few UKP for 10 it was a bargain Ultrafire seem especially prone to being fakes. Fakes will weigh about 35 grammes round about while real one more like over 40g. Quite easy to tell in your hand with a few minutes practice, though not such an easy thing to do on ebay
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 15:48   #33

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I bought a pair of these: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5044-465/LD41-Flashlight

VERY Bright!!! New led technology means a bright spotlight doesn't have to big anymore. Anything over 1000 lumens will work. You may want to look at MEC BIKE LIGHTS as well...as they have an excellent selection of super powerful lights too.

And since you are in BC Canada, ordering from MEC is simple. All these would have free shipping.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 16:59   #34

Boat: Beneteau 423

I bought a West Marine hand held LED. It is bright, battery seems to last pretty long, but the damn thing has to cycle through Hi, Low, SOS, every time. It is a real pain in that regard. I would not have bought it if I realized this.

Harry
s/c Juno
https://juno423.blogspot.com
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 14:18   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Fenix make above average LED lights - very good quality. This model has a high-end Cree LED (XM-L2) so the 960 lumens rated output is likely to be pretty close to real world results. The only criticism is that it uses AA cells. For $106 (Canadian?) it is possible to get flashlights that are at least comparable that include lithium batteries, which is a huge improvement. It has been difficult to get folks to try the new technology but once they do there is no going back.

For about the same money you can buy a Nitecore MH20 flashlight (I have one and love it) with 18650 battery (the flashlight charges the battery in situ with a Micro USB connector). This has the same LED as above with about the same output but with a lithium battery and several other neat features in a smaller package. The MH20GT puts out the same amount of light but in a more concentrated beam (i.e. more of a spot than flood). Nitecore does high quality bleeding edge stuff and if you want crazy bright look at their MH23: 1800 lumens with a Cree XHP LED in about the same package as the MH20. At this point it is more about specsmanship than need as this is more light than is likely to ever be needed from a pocketable light. That said my cheap recommendation above is as bright as the Fenix or an MH20, almost as small and even has a zoom lens, for about $10. I wouldn't care too much if I lost or broke a cheapie but losing an $80 flashlight would ruin my whole day.

Greg
Old 12-04-2019, 08:36   #36

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

I just reordered another from amazon. “Buysight- bright rechargeable searchlight” about $30.00 USD. This is 6,000 lumens and is a very narrow beam. It has a large capacity battery and charges w 120 volt source. I think it’s pretty great for seeking boats and day marks etc. a charge seems to last a long time and if needed it has a usb outlet for charging other devices.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:49   #37

Boat: 35' Sport Cruiser

Personally using a Streamlight Waypoint and like it very much. Rechargeable LED with 1000 lumens, several options for standing or hanging as well as hand held.

https://www.streamlight.com/products...t-rechargeable
mchlsutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:16   #38

I have a Sure-Bilt rechargable LED work light I picked up at my local auto parts store (similar to https://www.autozone.com/power-tools...light/823776_0). I have been pleasantly surprised at how bright it is and how well it holds a charge. One click turns on the big light, the next click switches it to the flashlight on the end, and the third click turns it back off again. It also has a handy hook that folds out to hang it up with.

[Stuck on the hard in the mountains of NC]
ejeverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 15:37   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Most handheld searchlights/spotlights are useless on a boat because the beam is too wide. Stray light bounces off the deck and sails ruining your night vision. This light from Marinebeam uses a patented technology to focus the light into a tight beam. Lets you stand at the helm and pick out buoys at astonishing distances. No recharging. The standard D batteries last for years. Not cheap but it’s my goto light on my boat.

https://store.marinebeam.com/marineb...or-flashlight/

Nice light, I’d buy one if they came with rechargeable Lithium batteries. No desire to carry D cell batteries.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 16:17   #40

This one outperforms the MarineBeam at the same price and uses 2 x 18650 Li-ion batteries, rechargeable in the flashlight: https://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/mh40gt For stupidly bright light try its even stronger version: https://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/mh40gtr It is hard to beat Nitecore lights...

Greg

[The "GT" in "MH40GT" stands for "Grand Throw". No kidding.]
Old 12-04-2019, 16:23   #41

Love the Nitecore stuff!
Old 12-04-2019, 16:39   #42

Been using Heider for some years now (similar to Nitecore) and have a few different models including the AGX, CFX and CB1's, throw out more than enough light and you can stuff them in your pocket, the bulky plastic pistol grip types are long gone....

Heider Official Online Store Products

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 17:59   #43

Nice! Does the AGX throw our a wide beam on high beam as well as the narrow beam? I’ve got a couple of the small Nitecores, but now looking for a couple bigger lights.
Old 12-04-2019, 18:43   #44

It looks like it has a bright, narrow central beam with some wider light closer in. While it looks nice I would look elsewhere. First off it is too expensive - $30 more than the Nitecore MH40GT - for what is being offered. It only has a single battery so half the time of the Nitecore. Finally they make a big deal about having a Cree LED but nowhere do they actually state the model number - a big fat red flag. If they were using the latest and greatest (CREE XHP35 HD) such as on the MH23 they would be proud to say so. Same with the CREE XM-L2 U2 used in the MH20, which is the best LED commonly available. You would be better to stick with Nitecore and know what you are buying.
Old 12-04-2019, 19:30   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
It looks like it has a bright, narrow central beam with some wider light closer in. While it looks nice I would look elsewhere. First off it is too expensive - $30 more than the Nitecore MH40GT - for what is being offered. It only has a single battery so half the time of the Nitecore. Finally they make a big deal about having a Cree LED but nowhere do they actually state the model number - a big fat red flag. If they were using the latest and greatest (CREE XHP35 HD) such as on the MH23 they would be proud to say so. Same with the CREE XM-L2 U2 used in the MH20, which is the best LED commonly available. You would be better to stick with Nitecore and know what you are buying.
I know what i'm buying, as i said i have been using them for years, about 5 i think, there not a new thing and unlike the Nitecore MH40GT i can put it in my pocket (thats why the single battery) and unlike the Nitecore i can walk up to the shop and buy one (Australia) and the cheapest MH40GT in Aus is around $180+ off eBay, and that is only for the torch......

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_...Torch&_sacat=0

And i never claimed mine was better than yours did i? so no pissing contest ok?

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote