Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 17:21   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman_Tx View Post
Well said!

All joking aside, have any of you ACTUALLY HAD to take a life? Could you? Could you REALLY pull the trigger while looking them in the eyes? There are some of us out here with blood on our hands and unless you are one cold-hearted a-hole, it will affect you the rest of your life! Ask any cop or soldier that has had to pull the trigger up front and PERSONAL. Not just dealing death from a distance, but able to see the expression on their face.

We can all blow smoke out our butts about how we'd like to do this or that, but when you get down to it, a firefight of any kind is the most frightening experience of your LIFE!

PS
BTW, last I checked, Ma Duece rounds were $10-$13 a pop. That's why a "Beowulf" (Alexander Arms 50 cal) equipped M4/AR15 will run a lot cheaper by the pound for lead. Up close and personal it takes off body parts and holes boat hulls.

On the money... Besides, how long do ya think your boat could take the recoil from a Ma Deuce before tearing itself apart? On the other hand, one of those M19 40mm grenade launchers would be sweet....
Old 03-11-2009, 17:27   #32
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamajames View Post
We slowed the boat down and then the pirates pulled shotguns and pistols and boarded us.
You see? There was an option apart from pulling guns. They could have INCREASED SPEED! Tried to avoid capture.

I hate gun threads and this is what this has turned into. So many posts by intellignet people who haven't used their brains here.

1) DO NOT SLOW DOWN
2) USE SKILLS TO STAY AHEAD
3) USE MANOUVER TO OUTWITT
4) USE RADIO TO REPORT SUSPICIOUS VESSELS
5) USE BRAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats what we should be discussing: What these people did wrong and how can we do better.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 03-11-2009, 18:17   #33

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
You see? There was an option apart from pulling guns. They could have INCREASED SPEED! Tried to avoid capture.
What sort of speed could you get from your boat Mark?

Enough to outrun a boat thats approaching relatively fast?

I do agree that I wouldn't be slowing down until they were alongside with weapons out
Old 03-11-2009, 18:43   #34
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
What sort of speed could you get from your boat Mark?

Enough to outrun a boat thats approaching relatively fast?

We do 8.5 flat out.

A displacement fishing boat - and thats the likelihood offshore (not talking about Somalia where they use motherships in coordinated attacks) would be flat out at 9 to 10 knots.
Many fishing boats in the areas we have been are really quite slow. 8 knots absolute max.

If you spot a suspicious boat at 1 nm and head away from it at max speed they have 1nm to catch up whilst only doing 1 kt faster. So it would take them one hour to catch up.

As soon as you alter course and go to max speed you will know within minutes if they are chasing as they will alter course to intercept. Then its game on. You have 1 hour with radio, epirb, etc.

We have done this on 2 occasions. Both times a fishing vessel started acting strangely. Off Columbia they kept moving into our path but when we changed 90 degrees and ran off under full sail and engine they stayed where they were. I think they were probably defending their nets.

In Indonesia a fishing boat came over the horizon and stopped. Then changed course directly towards us. s the intercept looked obvious at 2nms and we were becalmed we fired up. The vessel followed for only a few minuted before stopping again.
I noticed it had a crows nest up its mast and I think it was a tuna boat stopping to look for fish and then roaming on. As they saw us they thought they would have a look to see what to them an extremely unusual vessel. We were not really out of their way and we may have broken their boredom.

We do have our wits about us! Most are friendly, but we would NEVER let anyone get so close as to trade fish etc.

Must spot them early enough

Old 03-11-2009, 19:56   #35

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
We do have our wits about us! Most are friendly, but we would NEVER let anyone get so close as to trade fish etc.

How do you go at anchor?

Thats more my concern when I get up there, I DO want the twice weekly fishing boat with prawns, squid and a carton of Tiger or Leo dropping by, but I don't want the unfriendlies popping in for a visit.
Old 03-11-2009, 20:31   #36
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
How do you go at anchor?

Ahhhhh Many eyes at an anchorage!

We haven't had any problems. But most anchorages are close to a village of some sort so any bad person would have witnesses.

So they would need to do it at night and thats where our security screens come in. Again its a time thing. If it takes 20 mins to gain entry you have them on toast

With traders etc, Never let locals on the boat. Keep between them and the bording ladder / swim platform. So I sit on the step down to the swim platform. That means they are not alongside. They can only get on via their bow, i.e. one at a time and I am there, they have to step up and thats not as easy. I also control their bow with my foot and I hold their bow line - its NEVER cleated off

Most anchorages that are any good will have another yacht anchored. If by yourself for long periods and security has been an issue you just up anchor and go to somewhere else where there is another boat. If being intrepid means totally isolated anchorages then higher levels of security need to be used. The people in the original post appear to have been hens waiting for the fox with open arms.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:21   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:

In Indonesia a fishing boat came over the horizon and stopped. Then changed course directly towards us. s the intercept looked obvious at 2nms and we were becalmed we fired up. The vessel followed for only a few minuted before stopping again.
I noticed it had a crows nest up its mast and I think it was a tuna boat stopping to look for fish and then roaming on. As they saw us they thought they would have a look to see what to them an extremely unusual vessel. We were not really out of their way and we may have broken their boredom.

Mark's experience is exactly what I've been talking about. He doesn't strike me as overly suspicious but he had a moment of concern that turned out to be nothing.

What if he'd been packing heat? Now, what if, in the fading light (and remember he thinks these guys are pirates not fishermen) he mistakes a boat hook for a rifle and opened fire.

Yeah, yeah, it's all theoretical, but if every cruiser were armed, it would eventually happen.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:38   #38

Boat: Hunter 42 Passage
Send a message via Skype™ to Panamajames
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman_Tx View Post
Well said!

All joking aside, have any of you ACTUALLY HAD to take a life? Could you? Could you REALLY pull the trigger while looking them in the eyes? There are some of us out here with blood on our hands and unless you are one cold-hearted a-hole, it will affect you the rest of your life! Ask any cop or soldier that has had to pull the trigger up front and PERSONAL. Not just dealing death from a distance, but able to see the expression on their face.

We can all blow smoke out our butts about how we'd like to do this or that, but when you get down to it, a firefight of any kind is the most frightening experience of your LIFE!

PS
BTW, last I checked, Ma Duece rounds were $10-$13 a pop. That's why a "Beowulf" (Alexander Arms 50 cal) equipped M4/AR15 will run a lot cheaper by the pound for lead. Up close and personal it takes off body parts and holes boat hulls.
Never took a life. I had a few friends that have been killed. It is a simple decision if my life or love ones are threatened. You have to focus on one thought "its their life or mine" You first have to make a quick decision of the circumstances of the invasion. You must make the correct decision. You must kill them before they kill you. Takes focus, guts and quick thinking.
When I was shot on the Panama American highway. I looked the guy in the eyes as he tried to finish me off. The guy was high on something and those eyes were awash with drugs. He fired the last shot (last bullet) at my head from 4 feet and missed. (I was sitting in the drivers seat of my car). I will never forget the eyes. I will never let myself be in the position again. My gun was at my feet and could not reach it as I had already been shot 6 times. Once in each leg, twice in the back, and collarbone and side. I had my gun but was not prepared. I sensed danger but was not prepared and I think was in some kind of denial. Just be prepared to protect yourself. Next time will be
a bad time for the bad guys, God willing.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:43   #39

Boat: Macgregor 222 22'
Shut up already!

If you want a gun on board get one, and leave the unarmed sailors alone.
If you don't want a gun on board, don't get a gun and frisk everyone that boards you vessel and leave the armed sailors alone.

It seems to me that we have way too many busy bodies that want to control the lives of others. Live your life the way you see fit and deal with the consequences.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:58   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper62 View Post
If you want a gun on board get one, and leave the unarmed sailors alone.
If you don't want a gun on board, don't get a gun and frisk everyone that boards you vessel and leave the armed sailors alone.

It seems to me that we have way too many busy bodies that want to control the lives of others. Live your life the way you see fit and deal with the consequences.
But of course that argument works much better one way than the other. People with guns more than occasionally shoot other people, so the "live and let live" argument only works well for the gun owner. The law-abiding non-owner has to have a great deal of trust that his neighbor isn't going to do something rash or stupid.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:30   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
It does not appear this thread will solve the great debate on whether to carry guns aboard or not. As such, as with all gun threads, it seems it is time to put this one to bed.
Closed Thread