Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2017, 10:24   #16

Re: Quick release VS hard tie in of tether to PFD

About 30 years ago I watched a 1/2 ton offshore boat being salvaged with the crew still harnessed into the cockpit. The boat sank very fast ( must have been near instantaneous) and they had no quick release on the PFD end of the tether. A week on the seabed is not good for anyone.

I have had a few incidents where I was very grateful to have a quick release on the PFD, typically on the foredeck.

Bottom line is that you really need to be able to release that tether under a number of situations while avoiding accidental releases.

One bit of safety gear I won't skimp on. I use harnesses made by Ronstan with a bail that prevents accidental release.

Ross
yachtgemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 10:46   #17

Boat: Cape Dory 27
Red face Re: Quick-release VS hard tie in of tether to PFD

My offshore harness rig uses two tethers, both secured to a substantial D-ring by large Nicro snap shackles (they're for big spinnaker sheets); one tether is full arms length extension and the other is about two feet, with caribiners at the far ends. There are six inch braided pull cords on each snap shackle release with turks heads on their ends.

The two tethers allow me to hook up both and lean back against them in a sort of triangular support --- easier to visualize this than write about it. I can release either snap shackle under full load with one hand. This enables use of both hands (not having to use one to hold on.)

This setup allows me to hook the shorter tether to something solid and the other to something else an arms length away. Example, at the mast the longer tether is usually hooked to a shroud and the shorter to a spin pole ring or a heavy eye on the mast. Either tether is strong enough by itself to hold my full weight (230 #) when thrown against it.

The harness has a scabbard for a dedicated, ultra-sharp rigging knife with a segment of its blade serrated, strobe light, and loud whistle. If I ever go big-water sailing again (doubtful ... I'm 80 y.o and fighting cancer), I'd add a small ACR beacon/GPS and a waterproof VHF.

One additional item. Make sure your harness has a crotch strap. Too many do not and it's possible to get pulled out of it. Yep, sure would be painful but at least you'd alive to feel it!

This is a custom-made, third generation rig built around a commercial harness and can't be bought commercially. Thankfully, I never had to test it in a real-life emergency situation but I tried to duplicate actual scenarios as it was being developed. In everyday use (non-emergency), the two-tether system is easy and foolproof to use.

My $.02 worth.
Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 13:22   #18

Boat: Adams 31 aft cockpit

Interesting thread. I am hard-tied without a release option. Used to fly hang gliders a lot in years gone by and have seen/heard of all sorts of undesirable releases from non-locking carabiners in turbulence (and trust me - that is always undesirable in a hang glider). Even saw a demo of two crabs on soft loops being instantly disconnected with a flick and a twist of the loops without the person even touching the crabs - pretty scary. Hang-gliders all went to lock-gate crabs thereafter, but the point is that if there is a release mechanism it can and will release according to murphys law - at the worst possible time. This is probably more applicable to systems that must be able to release under load.
I am open to suggestion here, but presently use a running lifeline (just a rope) tied between the mast base downstairs and the mast base above decks, and tensioned to keep me out of the water should I go over or between the fence lines. I never need to disconnect and can reach nearly all parts of the boat above and below decks while still clipped in.
I also don't use an autopilot (been busted for years, and still getting around to that) and always try to sail slightly unbalanced (the boat, not me) so that she will round up fairly promptly if unattended more than a minute or so...
mowerandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 14:06   #19

Boat: Moana 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerandy View Post
... have seen/heard of all sorts of undesirable releases from non-locking carabiners in turbulence (and trust me - that is always undesirable in a hang glider). ...
Boggles the mind. I guess there are few (zero?) circumstances where a hang glider pilot wants to disengage under load and in a hurry. Boats are different.
I thought first that the double tether takes care of this problem of accidental release but I guess there's still only one QR clip on the harness - darn!
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 15:43   #20

With my rig, I can quick-release the tether at the body end, if necessary. That's the rationale behind the long pull cords on the Nicro snap shackles.

The beauty of the caribiners is the ease and speed with which they can be attached --- visualize a huge wave about to wash you off your feet and held aboard by only a central midships jackline on the boat. I can easily reach each 'beener' with either hand by sliding along the tether, reaching the 'beener' and essentially slapping it against whatever is available .. shroud, mast eye, halyard, boom bale, etc.

Never been overboard underway. Always hooked on at the first sign of heavy stuff, though. Stepped backwards off a boat once at anchor and another time in a slip, neither time clipped on. Both in calm conditions and I easily reboarded.

The beauty of a midline jackline, in a continuous loop around the mast base and both ends secured amidships in the cockpit, makes long tethers unnecessary, plus this doesn't allow you to go overboard or make you unclip to go back and forth between cockpit and mast. 3/8's line, not webbing. So simple yet I don't know many who use this method.
Old 16-11-2017, 15:55   #21
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nani Kai View Post
I thought about using one of the locking carabiners from my climbing gear but am concerned that corrosion would eventually be its downfall. Also, I'm not certain it could be released while under load. How has your Kong Tango held up so far?
Grease is the key. Use a good waterproof grease at least once each season. I've had the Tangos for 5 years.

I've got ancient screw gate biners on the boat over 30 years old. Just avoid autolocking as a rule.
Old 16-11-2017, 15:59   #22

Boat: Alberg 35

I use a longish tether with a snap shackle on the harness end when I single hand or need it. Just have had lots of situations where I needed freedom from it quickly.
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 16:02   #23

This isn't about skimping. World sailing is quite prescriptive on many things, but they are silent on this issue. And that is interesting. I'm surprised they do not require some manner of release, even if not quick release.
Old 16-11-2017, 17:24   #24

I use anhydrous lanolin for waterproof grease. $5.00 USD gets you a lifetime supply.
Old 16-11-2017, 17:42   #25

Boat: a sailing boat

We use safety hooks at crew end.

I have seen anything starting with a line tied round the chest.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 18:47   #26

B,

As a last resort this would be better than nothing but painful for more than a few minutes.

Granted, this would certainly be a minimalist approach. Slightly better than a trailed line with a figure eight knot at the end, though.

My thinking is there are better options.

A
Old 16-11-2017, 18:54   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
I use anhydrous lanolin for waterproof grease. $5.00 USD gets you a lifetime supply.
There are modern greases that are more wash-off resistant, and better protect against corrosion, you know. I do have a 75-year old tub that I still use, though.

https://www.practical-sailor.com/iss...e_12154-1.html
Old 16-11-2017, 19:24   #28

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Gosh I am old.
reading your thread I realize am way behind the times.
Sold my cruising boat in 2000,but kept my Lirakis "just in case",still use it as I sail alone,the idea back then as well as now, was to remain in the boat so flotation was not an issue,however reading this thread made me realize there could be circumstances were cutting loose and been able to float might be a good option?
Is that the idea?if so,what equipment are you using??
thanks
David
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 20:39   #29

Yep, age has a way of sneaking up on you. My first trip to Bermuda was aboard one of the first Bristol 35's built. Our nav gear was a compass with no fluid! Charlie, the Captain, a retired A/F B-52 navigator, said we didn't need a compass.

"Sextant," I deduced?

"Nope, not that either. Sailed this trip many times. It's easy."

"How will we know where we are???" He would show me. "Okay, " said I.

Charlie's last duty station was Bermuda. He flew into and out of there hundreds of times. I had no doubt he knew the way. We headed due east out of Beaufort Inlet for two days... east being a guess, so I thought.

"Not a guess." Looking up, he said. "See those white streaks in the sky ... they all lead to Bermuda. Think about it. There's nothing else out there. In a day or three a huge pile of cumulus clouds will be on the horizon and Bermuda is directly underneath them."

Contrail navigation. 100% dead on.

We had a small scale chart aboard for Bermuda and three days later we motored into Georgetown Harbor with it, cleared Customs, and partied like crazy for a week in the O-club with a bunch of pilots and flight crews. Whew ... my liver couldn't take much more.

"How will we get back, Cap," said I?

"Easy. Head toward the setting sun until a large Continent shows up. That should be the USA. Then we sail along the coast until a fishing boat appears and we'll call him on on 2182 (kHz, A.M.) and he'll tell us."

The only truly functional nav gear aboard was a leadline!

The first offshore harness I ever had was handmade on this trip, fashioned from 3-strand cotton line and galvanized shackles. It dry rotted away in the lazarette of my old wooden Dickerson 27 in the early 70's.

I may dry rot away, too, sitting in front of this computer all afternoon ... but this is about as close as I can get to real sailing people anymore.
Old 17-11-2017, 05:31   #30

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker View Post

I may dry rot away, too, sitting in front of this computer all afternoon ... but this is about as close as I can get to real sailing people anymore.
Reading your post not sure if to cry or to laugh,may be both?
Your going to Bermuda reminds me of my first sail to Catalina Island, left Newport heading west,should be on sight soon I told myself,well,did not take into account the L.A. smog!!
Have to stop and ask a fisherman where was Catalina,with a smirk he pointed
"Over there".
I would write some more but my laptop battery is running out
Take care
davil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, pfd