Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2012, 20:30   #16

Re: Portland Pudgy

Levent, I hope you enjoy your PP as much as we have since acquiring our Pudgy four years ago. This salty little tender has accompanied us along the Inside Passage (PNW), earning a permanent place alongside my 40' Willard trawler. During the off-season we carry her on the boat deck, but for most of the cruising season she gets towed along on a short leash. I expect you'll find your Pudgy to be a stable, sturdy, fun to row dinghy and I hope to add a sail for this coming season. Enjoy!
nwboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 16:50   #17

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Reminds me of a girl I dated in Maine many years ago.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 07:09   #18

Boat: HONG KONG JUNK 34 FEET

How is your Pudgy doing, we are thinking about purchasing one ? Would love to hear your experiences.
Thanks,
jaz
jazgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 00:23   #19

We have had our Portland Pudgy for several years now. The illustration of davit mounting in the Portland Pudgy Users Manual is of our Ericson 41 sloop, Sunshine. The short overall length made it perfect for davit mounting on the very narrow stern of the E41.

The boat is solid, performs very well as a row boat and with our Torqueedo electric outboard. The double davit mounting makes it easy and quick to launch and retrieve, and eliminates concern about its weight. It is indeed "pudgy," but this makes it very stable and readily boarded from the water.

The company and its owner/designer have always been available and responsive to queries and requests (a very refreshing change from efforts to contact the manufacturers of my previous dinghy's with problems or necessary repairs!). I fortunately have not had the need to employ ours as a lifeboat, but I am convinced that it would perform this function if the occasion should arise.
drmmmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 00:46   #20

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmmmann View Post
We have had our Portland Pudgy for several years now. The illustration of davit mounting in the Portland Pudgy Users Manual is of our Ericson 41 sloop, Sunshine. The short overall length made it perfect for davit mounting on the very narrow stern of the E41.

The boat is solid, performs very well as a row boat and with our Torqueedo electric outboard. The double davit mounting makes it easy and quick to launch and retrieve, and eliminates concern about its weight. It is indeed "pudgy," but this makes it very stable and readily boarded from the water.

The company and its owner/designer have always been available and responsive to queries and requests (a very refreshing change from efforts to contact the manufacturers of my previous dinghy's with problems or necessary repairs!). I fortunately have not had the need to employ ours as a lifeboat, but I am convinced that it would perform this function if the occasion should arise.
I have looked at the option of the PP. May I ask what you feel about it as a liferaft? Looking at the pictures I find it hard to think it will sleep anyone comfortably and if there are more than two people it would definitely not do space-wise? Your input on that would be appreciated.
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 21:21   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
I have looked at the option of the PP. May I ask what you feel about it as a liferaft? Looking at the pictures I find it hard to think it will sleep anyone comfortably and if there are more than two people it would definitely not do space-wise? Your input on that would be appreciated.

First, I do not think that any life raft is comfortable. For two people, the Pudgy is probably as comfortable as you can get. It would not accommodate more than two for an extended period. For coastal cruising, where the expectation would be to either be picked up relatively quickly or be able to navigate the boat to safety (a near impossibility for the usual life raft), you might be able to handle another person. We are primarily a coastal cruising couple, so the combination dinghy/lifeboat is ideal for us, particularly with the ability to quickly launch from davits.
drmmmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 00:06   #22

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmmmann View Post
First, I do not think that any life raft is comfortable. For two people, the Pudgy is probably as comfortable as you can get. It would not accommodate more than two for an extended period. For coastal cruising, where the expectation would be to either be picked up relatively quickly or be able to navigate the boat to safety (a near impossibility for the usual life raft), you might be able to handle another person. We are primarily a coastal cruising couple, so the combination dinghy/lifeboat is ideal for us, particularly with the ability to quickly launch from davits.
Thanks for that info. You echo my thoughts. I do think its a great idea and well suited for coastal cruising where there are 2-3 people max on board. Its big plus is definitely the proactive nature of the gear.
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 01:00   #23

I have also been interested in the tender/lifeboat combo. We are on a westsail 32 and deck space is limited. I like the idea of combining our life raft w/our tender. I think it will just fit on our foredeck, but am concerned about the weight. I'm not sure how easy it would be to launch under the best of conditions let alone on a heaving sea. Cost is relative to a life raft and tender w/no inspection intervals.
Bashleys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
portland pudgy