Originally Posted by xtream View Post
This pretty much tells it all.

Mexico Travel Advisory
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html

Crime Index by Country 2019 Mid-Year
https://www.numbeo.com/crime/rankings_by_country.jsp

List of cities by murder rate - Wikipedia
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...by_murder_rate
Actually murder rates by city say pretty much nothing about your chance of being attacked as a tourist in that city, let alone of having pirates attack you in the Gulf of Mexico. I wouldn't think twice about taking a trip to Cancun (number 13 on the list) or St. Louis (number 15 on the list) if I was a western tourist hanging out in tourist places doing tourist stuff. Mogadishu, Kabul, Sana’a....they're not even on your city list and Somalia is supposedly safer than Fuji, Peru, and Puerto Rico! Needless to say pretty much everyone would agree you're safer in St. Louis than Mogadishu, so clearly blind reliance on statistics doesn't make a lot of sense. Certainly one shouldn't look at a set of statistics and decide they "tell it all" without further investigation into the context and meaning of those statistics, which in this case would tell you that drug gang related violence is rampant in Mexico and if you're not in a place where it's rampant the country is pretty safe, just like you're pretty safe going to a Cardinal's game at Busch Stadium.....unless you're wearing a Cubs jersey!
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2019, 10:41   #32

Re: Pirates in Gulf of Mexico?

First forget about a gun. Get a coupon cans a wasp spray. You will not hesitate to use it. The two things that get you killed with a gun is hesitating too long and you get shot and not hesitating long enough so you shoot the wrong person. That’s why tasers and wasp spray work the best
Bon Temps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2019, 11:10   #33

Boat: 1999 Celestial 50

A thread about piracy turning into a debate about firearms... I didn’t see that one coming...
saltfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2019, 11:19   #34

pirate Re: Pirates in Gulf of Mexico?

As a old Coastie I have to echo Redneck Rob's comment. Also I cannot recommend strongly enough having a secure locker for firearms/ammo storage. Somewhere you can get to easily. If boarded by the USCG for example, disclose the location and hand them the keys for the duration of the boarding. It will simplify the process immensely.
rwaldrop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2019, 11:30   #35

Boat: Bristol / 40 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
Actually murder rates by city say pretty much nothing about your chance of being attacked as a tourist in that city, let alone of having pirates attack you in the Gulf of Mexico. I wouldn't think twice about taking a trip to Cancun (number 13 on the list) or St. Louis (number 15 on the list) if I was a western tourist hanging out in tourist places doing tourist stuff. Mogadishu, Kabul, Sana’a....they're not even on your city list and Somalia is supposedly safer than Fuji, Peru, and Puerto Rico! Needless to say pretty much everyone would agree you're safer in St. Louis than Mogadishu, so clearly blind reliance on statistics doesn't make a lot of sense. Certainly one shouldn't look at a set of statistics and decide they "tell it all" without further investigation into the context and meaning of those statistics, which in this case would tell you that drug gang related violence is rampant in Mexico and if you're not in a place where it's rampant the country is pretty safe, just like you're pretty safe going to a Cardinal's game at Busch Stadium.....unless you're wearing a Cubs jersey!
The one I didn't attach because it was in an earlier post.

Live Piracy Map
https://www.icc-ccs.org/piracy-repor...ive-piracy-map

I believe the combination of statistical data is good information to be aware of when making informed travel decisions, but there's no doubt some of the most dangerous places on the planet are in the Americas.

Happy and safe cruising wherever you go ��

P.S. Mexico: Where More Americans Are Murdered Than In All Other Foreign Countries Combined
https://www.forbes.com/sites/garysto...ries-combined/
xtream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2019, 11:46   #36

The modern pirates mostly own boatyards in my experience.
pwilletts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2019, 11:55   #37

Boat: Presently between vessels

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchaway View Post
Remington makes a nice stainless 12 gauge pump.
Not in Mexico unless you think a Mexican prison is a great place to live.
RobPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 11:37   #38

Boat: Catalina 25

Quote:
Privateers operated under written authorization of a government. Pirates did not. This was an important legal distinction. Privateers had some basic rights as enemy combatants. Pirates could just be summarily executed.
A rose by any other name is a rose. A steaming pile of s*** is still a steaming pile of s*** regardless of who said it was OK. This was true then, and still true today.
mark0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 11:42   #39

Boat: Catalina 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
Not sure if this has been posted before, but I just found this news link and I was blissfully unaware/ignorant of the "problem" in the Gulf of Mexico. Does anyone have info on this at all?

https://www.foxnews.com/world/two-hu...gulf-of-mexico

Please consider the source.....
mark0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 12:03   #40

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0978 View Post
A rose by any other name is a rose. A steaming pile of s*** is still a steaming pile of s*** regardless of who said it was OK. This was true then, and still true today.
There is a big difference. One is authorized and the other is illegal. It is similar to the difference between soldier, mercenary, and mercenary under government contract.

In Iraq, the U.S. contracted with security firms to provide many security services. They were mercenaries with government contracts. It is the same as hackers who have been hired by businesses and government agencies to test their physical and digital security. The actions taken may be the same, but the hired people are authorized, and the unauthorized people will be arrested.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 12:12   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwaldrop13 View Post
As a old Coastie ......I cannot recommend strongly enough having a secure locker for firearms/ammo storage.
I live on the coast too, so as an old coastie I cannot recommend having a secure locker. Leave the guns in the US, the rest of the world doesn't want or need them and you're not going to be allowed to keep them after arriving in another country anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltfree View Post
A thread about piracy turning into a debate about firearms... I didn’t see that one coming...
Why would you want to discuss guns on Cruisers Forum? surely there are more appropriate forums leaving CF free to cover other far more important things like anchors
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass, gulf of mexico, Mexico