Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2020, 07:22   #1

Boat: Toes in the surfline and eyes on tomorrow's horizon
PFD's?

Looking for PFD help.

I'm going to be starting my ASA 101-103 in a couple of weeks and have a choice; I can wear one of the PFD's the school provides, or I can buy one of my own.

I've been looking at all the usual places and can't make a choice. "The Plan" is to take the classes, do some local charter sailing and (maybe) eventually buy a boat for myself in a few years. Most of my time will be single handing because I don't know anyone who sails or wants to sail. Thus the dilemma.

Do I buy a PFD with harness or not?

Most of my sailing will be coastal with occasional trips to the Channel Islands, the closest of which is about 10 miles offshore, which ordinarily doesn't require using a leash. Yet single handing is risky even so close to shore.

So, harness or no harness from the get go? I can always upgrade but why put myself through this again? On the other hand, am I overthinking this?
Rob_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:25   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: PFD's?

Use theirs and wait to see what you like /dislike about a variety of styles. This can be an expensive purchase ($100-$1000) Figure out what kind of sailing you’ll be doing and make an informed decision.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:28   #3

Boat: Freedom 38

I'd definitely buy one with a harness from the get-go.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:04   #4
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
I'd definitely buy one with a harness from the get-go.
What if he’s planning cruising colder areas and a floater suit would be more appropriate with a dedicated harness. Or moves to more of a racing or dingy racing scenario and an inflatable with built in harness won’t work? Too early and too many variables. While a pfd with harness can be nice they can also be limiting.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 09:26   #5

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

A PFD with integrated harness is best.

I wear a Spinlock Decvest pro, soon to upgrade to Vito model.
I need to vlip in about 5 % of the time and the integrated harness is just a D ring.
But when i do need to clip in i just pull out my Y leash and clip it.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:44   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Use theirs and wait to see what you like /dislike about a variety of styles. This can be an expensive purchase ($100-$1000) Figure out what kind of sailing you’ll be doing and make an informed decision.
"Theirs" are the solid foam orange ones that no one wants to wear because they're hideous, bulky, and fit so poorly the one I did wear years ago rubbed me raw even through my shirt. It did this every time no matter how it was adjusted.

I've been looking for reviews and not finding much so how about some hints on which brands NOT to buy? It's not the money because this is my life I'm talking about here if I need it, but I don't want to be spending cash unnecessarily either.

Anyone know anything about the Sterns C-Tec? Or the West Marine Offshore series w/ harness? The Spinlock looks really bulky and restrictive but it's on my short list anyway unless someone agrees with me that it looks like it has no mobility.
Old 05-12-2020, 12:55   #7

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

Get the new Spinlock Vito.
It's very well made and does not feel bulky at all.

Stearns has many models. Never tried them but if you get one maybe look if they have and Hydristatic system.

West Marine also has many models even in the offshore series. Do get one with Hydrostatic system.

But nothing beats the spinlock in my view. I am a sailing instructor and I wear my Spinlock all the time. Never feels bulky.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 11:16   #8

Did my homework and then went shopping.

The winner is the West Marine Ultimate PFD with harness. It's rated at 45 lbs of flotation where most of the others are rated at 35 lbs. I weigh 280 lbs and the guy at West Marine recommended the higher flotation model even though it cost the same as the 35 lbs one.

Now all I need to do is read the instructions so I can arm it.

Oh, and I got some sailing gloves too - Harken 2xl. Amazing. First time in my life the gloves aren't longer than my fingers, especially the pinky.

BTW, first class is next Thursday. I'm going sailing baby!!!
Old 08-01-2021, 11:24   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

You did start at the top! Inflatable PFDs are the way to go. When I dumped our dinghy and set off mine, my hearing aids didn't even get wet.
Old 08-01-2021, 12:21   #10

Boat: Morgan 382

Get the rearm kit, jump in the water and see how it performs, then rearm it. You need to be familiar with how it works before you need it. I was surprised at how much I was immobilized. Basically, I would be waiting for a rescue, no way that I would be able to swim to a boat and climb a ladder.
Old 08-01-2021, 12:45   #11

Boat: Bavara 37/Soling 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_P View Post
Looking for PFD help.

Most of my time will be single handing because I don't know anyone who sails or wants to sail.
Not to change the subject but chances are there'll be other people like you in that class. I met people I still sail with when I took ASA 106.
Old 08-01-2021, 13:40   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

No doubt many will disagree with me, but:

FWIW, I very rarely wear a PDF on board. I prefer a harness and short tethers. The objective is to tie in and not go in the water.

PDFs are for use in dinghies or when you have to leave the boat because it's sinking or on fire.
Being hampered by a PDF while being dragged through the water on a tether is not my idea of fun.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 14:14   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
No doubt many will disagree with me, but:

FWIW, I very rarely wear a PDF on board. I prefer a harness and short tethers. The objective is to tie in and not go in the water.

PDFs are for use in dinghies or when you have to leave the boat because it's sinking or on fire.
Being hampered by a PDF while being dragged through the water on a tether is not my idea of fun.
1. School requires that students wear one in the boats. It's an insurance thing.

2. After graduation, I will likely be sailing solo in one of the Yacht club's fleet. In the event of a MOB while solo, I'd rather be wearing a PFD than not, even when in coastal waters. The bright colors might prevent me from getting run over by the drunken power boaters. Hopefully anyway.

3. I got the one with the built-in harness so I can tether in when solo. That way the drunken power boaters won't be able to complain that I damaged their boat when they ran over me after I Chinese jibed and went overboard with a boom induced concussion.
Old 08-01-2021, 14:23   #14

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Hi Rob, I am right down the way from you! You did really well in choosing the PFD/harness combo IMO, and good on the gloves too! And yes usually the weather and conditions are nice in our neighborhood, but when you start doing your trips to the islands you'll find days when you'll discover "windy lane" and you'll be glad you have all the best equipment ready! Let me know where you're headed and I'll meet (or race!) you out there! (just as soon as I get my boat put back together!)
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 14:34   #15
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
Get the rearm kit, jump in the water and see how it performs, then rearm it. You need to be familiar with how it works before you need it. I was surprised at how much I was immobilized. Basically, I would be waiting for a rescue, no way that I would be able to swim to a boat and climb a ladder.
As long as they aren’t hammar hydrostatic ones

Tags
pfd