Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2013, 14:10   #46
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
You guys are really being silly in stocking a small "Walgreen's/Costco" pharmacy aboard your boat. If you have medical conditions that might deteriorate while sailing, you really shouldn't be. Get a comprehensive physical from your physician, prior to undertaking a circumnavigation. FYI...I have not seen a fever thermometer listed, being part of any kit; maybe I overlooked it. Some of the medications listed, cannot be obtained without a prescription. Others, are not available in many countries. You need to know the generic equivalent of all your prescriptions. Mauritz
Mauritz, how often did you need your medical kit? Do you have one? We have needed ours dozens of times but rarely for ourselves. You are calling us silly, but you should look further than just yourself. You never have guests aboard either? Are you even cruising?

If you would enter a course on sailing or wilderness medical, like some of us did, you will learn how to get access to these meds without being sick yet

I've not posted a list of materials yet, don't worry, thermometers are included.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 14:20   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Our Medical Kit

Quote:
You guys are really being silly in stocking a small "Walgreen's/Costco" pharmacy aboard your boat. If you have medical conditions that might deteriorate while sailing, you really shouldn't be. Get a comprehensive physical from your physician, prior to undertaking a circumnavigation. FYI...I have not seen a fever thermometer listed, being part of any kit; maybe I overlooked it. Some of the medications listed, cannot be obtained without a prescription. Others, are not available in many countries. You need to know the generic equivalent of all your prescriptions. Mauritz
Sorry, I disagree. Emergencies can easily occur when you are a long way from any doctor or pharmacy, (even for fit healthy people) and can be life threatening without something simple like a broad spectrum antibiotic.

Yes, many of the drugs suggested are prescription only. They need to be used with a huge amount of care. ALL have side effects. Many interact with other drugs. Allergic reactions are possible (including death if an anaphylactic reaction occurs). Dosage is often critical and needs to be followed precisely.
All reasons why people should normally not self medicate, but we are talking about emergency situations at sea.

By the way, I would strongly recommend a first aid course covering resuscitation techniques is taken as well.

PS Jedi, I draw the line at carrying haemorrhoid cream for emergencies LOL. Feed your crew more fibre

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 14:21   #48

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hiya Jedi! I hold a US Pharmacy license, in addition to being board certified. My license was accepted in securing medications in Australia, Tahiti, Barbados and Anguilla, just to name a few places I sailed to. I do not need to stock a small pharmacy aboard my plane. By all means, if it makes you feel comfortable ...stock away! Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 14:23   #49
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"I just checked it with the WHO, it is:

- 1 liter of water
- 2 tablespoons (6 tea spoons) of sugar
- 0.5 teaspoon of salt."

Check again, Nick. The UN rehydration mix requires both sodium salt AND potassium salt. Using just plain salt does not give you the same results.

The potassium salt is commonly and inexpensively sold in supermarkets for people on low sodium diets.

If you leave the DIY mix in a bottle on the shelf for a year or two, it goes a bit lumpy and looks cruddy as well, but it is SO cheap you can toss it without regret. And it works so nicely in hot humid weather, that it pays to use it regularly anyway.

As to specialty gauze...I'm sure we have it in the US. But the hospitals buy plain gauze by the box of 100, 500, 1000 rolls. A box of 24 from a medical supply costs less than a box of four at WallyWorld or any pharmacy. So unless you're running a burn ward, it just pays to stock the plain stuff, and keep a bottle of Vaseline for whatever else you want it for. Why waste space on a one-trick pony?

I'm told my sulfadiazene is either essential to stock for burns, or worse than useless, depending on who I ask. That's something else to consider, or perhaps sulfa powder to add in for the same purpose.

And of course, a jar full of leeches. They tend to go in and out of fashion too, don't they? <G>

Seaworthy Lass-
"PS Jedi, I draw the line at carrying haemorrhoid cream"
OBVIOUSLY spoken by someone who has yet to discover what a hemorrhoid really means. Very much like asking, why carry seasickness meds?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 14:49   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

Seaworthy Lass-

OBVIOUSLY spoken by someone who has yet to discover what a hemorrhoid really means. Very much like asking, why carry seasickness meds?
If crew members or guests are prone to haemorrhoids, they should carry their own medication. Same obviously applies to all previously know conditions (and questions about general health & allergies & medications taken are something that should be asked of every crew member/ guest before departing).

Leaving port may unexpectedly result in seasickness. That is why we carry meds for guests. It is unlikely to result in haemorrhoids (at least on our boat it is not ).

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 14:52   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hiya Jedi! I hold a US Pharmacy license, in addition to being board certified. My license was accepted in securing medications in Australia, Tahiti, Barbados and Anguilla, just to name a few places I sailed to. I do not need to stock a small pharmacy aboard my plane. By all means, if it makes you feel comfortable ...stock away! Mauritz
Hmpfff.. you're on the wrong forum, we don't have airplanes, this is for boats that don't need to land at an airport every so many hours...

Old 31-03-2013, 15:05   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"I just checked it with the WHO, it is:

- 1 liter of water
- 2 tablespoons (6 tea spoons) of sugar
- 0.5 teaspoon of salt."

Check again, Nick. The UN rehydration mix requires both sodium salt AND potassium salt. Using just plain salt does not give you the same results.

The potassium salt is commonly and inexpensively sold in supermarkets for people on low sodium diets.

If you leave the DIY mix in a bottle on the shelf for a year or two, it goes a bit lumpy and looks cruddy as well, but it is SO cheap you can toss it without regret. And it works so nicely in hot humid weather, that it pays to use it regularly anyway.

As to specialty gauze...I'm sure we have it in the US. But the hospitals buy plain gauze by the box of 100, 500, 1000 rolls. A box of 24 from a medical supply costs less than a box of four at WallyWorld or any pharmacy. So unless you're running a burn ward, it just pays to stock the plain stuff, and keep a bottle of Vaseline for whatever else you want it for. Why waste space on a one-trick pony?

I'm told my sulfadiazene is either essential to stock for burns, or worse than useless, depending on who I ask. That's something else to consider, or perhaps sulfa powder to add in for the same purpose.

And of course, a jar full of leeches. They tend to go in and out of fashion too, don't they? <G>

Seaworthy Lass-
Quote:
The World Health Organizations states that some home products can be used to treat and prevent dehydration. This includes salted rice water, salted yogurt drink, and salted vegetable or chicken soup. A home-made solution of one litre of plain water with 3 grams table salt (one level teaspoonful) and 18 grams common sugar (three tablespoons) can also be made. And a medium amount of salt can also be added to water in which cereal has been cooked, unsalted soup, green coconut water, unsweetened weak tea, and unsweetened fruit juice.[16] The homemade solution should have the "taste of tears."[17] If available, supplemental zinc and potassium can be added to or given with the homemade solution.[16]
You can't put vaseline in a wound with a regular gauze on top. Only use materials and techniques for which they are intended. Without Klinitulle, you have to soak the old gauze off using soda. When you spend a dollar, you can just lift the Klinitulle off and clean with disinfectant gel or similar. Sulfa powder? You realize this is the year 2013?!
And you want to bring leeches? What are you trying to do, prevent us making this list?

Old 31-03-2013, 15:35   #53

Not sure if anyone's mentioned it yet, but I get a lot of mileage out of the smaller kit we keep in my backpack. Basic wound care stuff, blood clot powder, tweezers, gauze, tape, immodium, ibuprofen, etc. Flashlight and a knife in there too.

We get way more dings and slices out in town, at the beach, or hiking in the mountains around here than we do on the relative peace and calm of the boat. In fact I can't even think of the last injury I got on the boat, but I have three currently healing from playing beach soccer with friends two weeks ago.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 16:19   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I draw the line at carrying haemorrhoid cream for emergencies LOL. Feed your crew more fibre
Do you mean that you do not carry it?

I just found that we also have Norit aboard... activated carbon pills. I just gave them away so need to buy new ones... but how would they be called here?
Old 31-03-2013, 16:53   #55

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I would recommend carrying a Merck manual on board as well - a small but thick, well written manual for diagnosis and treatment of just about everything, managing to cram all the most vital information on thin pages with tiny print.

Just don't make it your bedtime reading or every headache will immediately turn into a suspected brain tumour .
Which one, there are many?

I have a very old guide for boats in Dutch which is probably obsolete, plus I have the guide that came with my original kit for the boat.

I have the idea there is a better book... the OP also had one listed...

EDIT: how about this, also available as ebook: http://www.amazon.com/Wilderness-Fir...rds=wilderness
Old 31-03-2013, 17:34   #56

Boat: Oyster 53

Or you can download my ebook on Offshore Medicine for free at this link to get you started.

Cheers.

Dhillen
Old 31-03-2013, 17:42   #57

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think I processed all comments up to now and worked them into the list. I do realize there are some materials on it; this is because I don't have those yet and will forget them when I complete that part of the list later

here is the current list:

Quote:
Ciprofloxacin - broad spectrum anti-biotic (better for gram negative)
Augmentin - broad spectrum anti-biotic (better for gram positive)
Benzodiazepine (Valium) - stress control (in event of injury), muscle relaxant
Cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril) - muscle relaxant
Vicodin - pain killer
Paracetamol (Tylenol) - pain killer
Ibuprofen (pills and topical gel) - pain killer / anti-inflammatory
Loperamide - diarrhea control
Levocetirizine (Xyzal) - antihistamine, allergic reaction control
Prednisone - allergic reaction control
EpiPen - anaphylaxic shock
Albendazole - parasites, Giardia control
Terbinafine cream (Lamisil) - antifungal
Nystatin cream (Fungicidin, Nistaglos) - antifungal
Topical lidocaine spray - local anesthetic
anti-bacterial First Aid spray (Lanacane) - cuts, scrapes, burns
Sea-sickness medication -> which ones? Cinnarizine, Stugeron, dimenhydrinate, scopolamine, promethazine+ephedrine. I carry Gravol which is Dramamine but never used it.
Aspirin - for heart problems?
activated charcoal - poisening

other:

zinc oxide tape - taping sprains etc.
Body wipes (Fresh Bath) - Hygiene, cleaning
Hot Coldrex / CitroSan / Panadol - common cold treatment drinks
ORS - Rehydration electrolytes
Dermabond (super glue) - wound closure
mole skin
duct tape
Antacid
Pepto Bismol
hydrocortisone hemorrhoid cream
vaselin - lubricant
sun screen
deet insect repellent
Old 31-03-2013, 18:05   #58

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

Quote:
I would recommend carrying a Merck manual on board as well - a small but thick, well written manual for diagnosis and treatment of just about everything, managing to cram all the most vital information on thin pages with tiny print.

Just don't make it your bedtime reading or every headache will immediately turn into a suspected brain tumour .
I find the Tarascon Pocket Adult and Pediatric Emergency, and Pharmacopoeia Handbooks useful as well.
Old 31-03-2013, 18:47   #59

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

...and don't forget an Anatomy book, a Physiology book, the PDR... Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 19:00   #60

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
...and don't forget an Anatomy book, a Physiology book, the PDR... Mauritz
And a psychology book, to find out what you are thinking to achieve with these posts

Tags
medical