Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2012, 19:50   #1

Boat: Beneteau 473
OMG I Am Being Eaten Alive!

OK, maybe that is an over statement, but if you are with me nothing will bite you! Part of this is in jest, but, seriously, can a person overdose on Deet and Benedryl?

Our boat was finally hauled last week, and no amount of Deet (15% to 40%) keeps all of the bitie things away. Between the mosquitos, small black flying (I think) things and sand fleas, I am a literal insect smogasborg! I don't know what it is about me, my husband seems to do alright. I started with a 15% Deet spray, graduated to a 40% (Deep Woods Off) spray and still they keep coming. I have 100% Deet (Jungle Juice) on the boat but have been reluctant to use it when I discovered it melted the paint off my phone cover and the polish on my toes!

Is there something else I can do that will work (protect me)? Or do I just have to suck it up and buy lots of Benedryl?

Signed, Itchy in PR
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 19:57   #2

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Re: OMG I Am Being Eaten Alive!

The type of soap, deodorant, skin cream, perfume can make a big difference in how well the bugs like you.

When I was on active duty in Puerto Rico, the guards at the front gate of the navy base had to be careful about the type of soap, shampoo, colognes that they used or the would get eaten alive my bugs.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 19:58   #3

Boat: Looking...

Wow, sounds bad. Best solution is to get away from land. If still have nasties, close up boat and do interior bomb. Ugly solution - spraying poison.

Could be worse - look at Roaches and Rats and Bats, Oh my! Thread.

Good luck!

westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 20:13   #4

Yea, get offshore. DEET is toxic, and removes paint. Tough on the liver, or something ... Long term or heavy doses can be bad ... Google it.

Long pants, sleeves, knowing the local biting schedule, can help. Burning coils is effective in some situations ... not very toxic.

Extra fun around here ... Dengue and Malaria can be worse than the bite.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 20:29   #5

Boat: Skookum 53'

Nivea skin so soft, lots of vitamin b and raw garlic, avoid sugary foods, avoid perfumes, perfumed soap, eat the local foods, soon you will take on the same smell as the locals and you won't be singled out.
Old 20-11-2012, 20:31   #6

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Speaking of the Philippines, most of my family there keep fans running day and night, which keeps off the critters. Mosquitoes are attracted to CO2 the air you exhale.

So loose clothing, fans and netting is the only real way to keep'm off. Deet works if you use a lot/often. But I don't know which is worse.

It's a good thing they don't have no-see-ums too, like in Alaska.

Old 20-11-2012, 20:42   #7

As long as the wind is light, a Thermacell keeps my cockpit clear. It's really amazing.

Amazon.com: ThermaCELL Cordless Portable Mosquito Repellent Appliance (Olive): Sports & Outdoors

I tried to do some internet research about the chemicals involved and it seem much safer than high concentrate DEET.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 20:44   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMove
I don't know what it is about me, my husband seems to do alright.
That's always been my strategy. The mosquitoes prefer Wonderblond, so I just stay close to her.

(Seriously, use a cabin fan to blow all that CO2 away. The mosquito can't find you if it can't find your CO2 cloud.)
Old 20-11-2012, 21:00   #9

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We use a lot of Amber Romance from Victoria Scerets !! it works great for No see ems, and nats, black flys, horse flys, even these crazy Louisiana Mostkeetoes!! LOL It really works! but make sure your lady knows ya have it and what it smells like cus some of the ladys down the Bayou got terrible mad overthere offshore hubbys coming home smellin like a French Cat House LOL But no kiddin it works for us !!
Old 20-11-2012, 21:45   #10

Boat: Roberts 50 Ketch

Hi...I was in the same situation last year coming down the east coast of Oz, I was told by another sailor to mix bi carbonate of soda to a white paste and use it when bitten. Not a huge help to stop a bite but does seem to relieve the itchies afterwards somewhat. Cheap and probably less toxic than sprays.
Amanda....
Sea Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 04:13   #11

Boat: Beneteau 473
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The place that is the worst is the boatyard, the boat is scheduled to be out of the water for another ten days, so I will just start wearing long pants and long sleeves when I am there. We generally do not have a problem while on the boat, we anchor out a bit and keep the fans on.

The Benedryl gel works pretty good at keeping the itching tolerable. Amber Romance huh, well it's worth a try. I will work on the diet part, but I haven't eaten anything sweet since arriving here hoping to keep the mosquitos at bay. I have ditched all of the perfumed stuff as well.

Thanks again
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 05:05   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Amanda (Sea Eagle).

The death, earlier this year in Thailand of two sisters from Quebec, was caused by drinking a cocktail that contained the insect repellent DEET (N,N-diethyl-m-toluamide).
Quebec sisters died in Thailand from drinking DEET - Health - CBC News

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 05:23   #13
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
We use a lot of Amber Romance from Victoria Scerets !! it works great for No see ems, and nats, black flys, horse flys, even these crazy Louisiana Mostkeetoes!! LOL It really works! but make sure your lady knows ya have it and what it smells like cus some of the ladys down the Bayou got terrible mad overthere offshore hubbys coming home smellin like a French Cat House LOL But no kiddin it works for us !!
My MY the lengths people will go , for an excuse

Dave
Old 21-11-2012, 05:23   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
The type of soap, deodorant, skin cream, perfume can make a big difference in how well the bugs like you.
This. You need to dump all of the perfumed soaps and skin creams. Then my suggestion would be to start eating a lot of garlic and onions. Seriously. That stuff gets into your system and comes out through your sweat. And don't revert to sweet-smelling deodorant to try to control the stink. You may repel your husband in the process, but I'm willing to bet the bugs will leave you alone as well.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 07:17   #15

I've discovered that pipe and cigar smoke works better than anything...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote