Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2020, 12:27   #31
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Of what use is a vest-side tether “quick release” safety shackle that cannot rele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon1150 View Post
...The author of the solo sailing book that I quote earlier in this thread recommends, at least for solo sailors that the jacklines be deployed continously year round. He also recommends that they be replaced annually because of YV degradation.

I'm a big believer in leaving them deployed. I don't clip-in very often (it's hard to fall off a trimaran), only when solo or going to a hazardous area, but I know that if they are not rigged, they won't be there when I need them.

And so I use rope instead of webbing. It lasts longer. Also, because I sail multihulls, it is simple in most cases to route the jacklines so that they are NOT underfoot (because rope can roll underfoot--I'm sure you have stepped on lazy sheets etc.).

So you will either need to chose a very durable material or replace them often. Tubular webbing with Amsteel threaded inside is an option (APS used to make them that way); Amsteel lasts and the webbing keeps them stable. Some use bare Amsteel, but I preffer something with better grip (sometimes they make good handholds--depends on the boat).
Old 07-09-2020, 13:37   #32

Boat: 2010 Lagoon 421
Re: Of what use is a vest-side tether “quick release” safety shackle that cannot rele

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Tubular webbing with Amsteel threaded inside is an option
This is what we are doing.
My understanding is that UHMWPE does not necessarily need UV protection, yet many also sell the idea that the webbing does provide protection. It seems sensical.
If one goes with this idea, how do you provide UV protection at the ends?
My thinking is to use a long splice at one end, cow tagged onto a padeye and a figure 8 follow through, stopped, at the other end, also attached to a padeye.
One could tie the figure 8 with the UHMWPE sheathed in webbing, but not the splice end.
The best I could come up with would be a separate, larger tubular webbing to cover the end.
Is this even necessary? Leaving the jacklines permanently rigged does make the question more relevant, however.
Until now, we have rigged them for trips only.
Alternatively, splices both ends. Cowtag one end, soft shackle the other.
BigNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 13:49   #33
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNut View Post
This is what we are doing.
My understanding is that UHMWPE does not necessarily need UV protection, yet many also sell the idea that the webbing does provide protection. It seems sensical.
If one goes with this idea, how do you provide UV protection at the ends?
My thinking is to use a long splice at one end, cow tagged onto a padeye and a figure 8 follow through, stopped, at the other end, also attached to a padeye.
One could tie the figure 8 with the UHMWPE sheathed in webbing, but not the splice end.
The best I could come up with would be a separate, larger tubular webbing to cover the end.
Is this even necessary? Leaving the jacklines permanently rigged does make the question more relevant, however.
Until now, we have rigged them for trips only.
Alternatively, splices both ends. Cowtag one end, soft shackle the other.

APS did not cover the ends. Just normal eye splices.

No knots; they slip in Amsteel and cost more strength than knots in other ropes (low stretch = poor load sharing among fibers around a sharp bend). Only splices, so a lashing is used at the other end. If they are permanently rigged you can't use a cleat for tension.

It is quite possible to simply bring the oversized webbing over and around the pad eye and sew it shut. No UV. Since the load on the webbing is low, it will stay (I've done it).

There is a lashing under the webbing. Notice the anchor point is a 316 bolt hanger ($6, one bolt, 6000# BS). Perfect for shear loads, and often you can use an existing hole.

Old 07-09-2020, 14:09   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
APS did not cover the ends. Just normal eye splices.
Looks good.
What, if anything do you use for thimbles?
Old 07-09-2020, 19:24   #35

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

These guys don't seem to bother with jacklines, tethers or PFD's for that matter, despite being in some very serious ocean!

Old 07-09-2020, 20:23   #36

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

I clip the unused shackle to the eye of the shackle clipped to me. Not back to the best. So only one clip to undo if need be.
But yes don’t fall off the boat.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:00   #37

Hopefully this doesn’t sound pedantic, but now you run the risk of them getting in each other’s way when you try to release. Remember: Dark. Waves. Underwater. Adrenaline.

Tags
lease, safety