Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 10:57   #1

New to Racing . . . Looking to Buy Some Gear and Need Help

Hello there.

I am new to racing and am wanting to purchase gear. I would like to get a PFD but was hoping to hear some suggestions. I see that there are a lot of types and brands.

I will be doing most of my racing in SoCal.

I am also looking at buying some pants and shorts. I am looking at the ones with the padding and wondering what brands others would suggest, if at all.
dab2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 19:27   #2

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Assuming you are talking about yacht racing as opposed to dinghy racint, my advice, if you are racing, especially if you plan on doing any overnight racing is to buy a yoke-style combined PFD and harness in one. This will save you from having the bulk of both a harness and a pfd on top of (already bulky) wet weather gear.

Spinlock Deckvest is probably the best on the market right now, but you don't need to spend that much to get decent gear. Go to your local chandlery and try on all the available models and see what you find most comfortable.

Bear in mind, however, that the racing rules regarding inflatable PFD (and combined PFD harnesses) have changed recently, so make sure that what you buy is compliant with the lastest rules.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:48   #3

Weyalan,

Wow those are expensive, but I am sure it is worth it. What are some of the other brands and would you suggest second hand? Also where would you look to purchase the other brands?
Old 10-01-2011, 13:38   #4

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Expensive? ... damn right. I can't afford one

I use a more reasonably priced Burke PFD/harness... I paid about $150 for it (not including the tether)
https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_i...AbsolutePage=1

You can go cheaper - this one is only about $120
https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_i...AbsolutePage=1

A tether costs about $50 (or more if you want a fancy one).

In fact, you will find prices in USA cheaper than here (Australia). You should check out your local chandlery - West Marine, or Defender are not bad. I use an on-line chandlery called Mauri Pro, in Texas Mauri Pro Sailing - Sailboat Hardware, Sailing Gear and Sailboat Equipment

Whatever you buy, don't forget to check that you can get it serviced locally. If you are racing you may need to supply paperwork to show that your harness has been serviced within the last 12 months (especially for Category 1, 2 & 3 offshore races), so you don't want to have to send your harness away to be serviced. For what it is worth, if you aren't racing serious offshore races where certified service is a requirement, self-servicing your harness is fine and won't cost anything.

You might find that your best bet is to talk directly to the guys that you will be sailing with and ask them what they would recommend. They will, no doubt, have a good idea of what is (a) compliant, and (b) good value for money, and (c) available in your area.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 13:48   #5

Thanks For all of your help. I will talk with them about it.