Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2013, 06:34   #1
cruiser

Mossberg 500 Mariner in the Med.

I have a piece of Marine equipment I'd like to either ship to the Med. or purchase legally in Spain as a non-EU citizen. The equipment is a Mossberg 500 Mariner 12 gauge shotgun.

This thread is not about guns, safety or the need to have a gun etc., so please... No debate on the subject. I'd just like to find out if it's possible for a person traveling with a US passport, to transport, purchase, own and have one onboard a boat. We plan to travel throughout the Med over the next 5-6 years. I'd just like some advice as to the logistics pertaining specifically to the northern and eastern Med., non-African countries. I plan to do everything "by the book" and legal. Normally, I'd research this topic on my own, but my limited command of the Spanish language makes this impossible. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:18   #2

Re: Mossberg 500 Mariner in the Med.

Guess it´s no need to speak spanish, but importing weapons in EU might be a problem.
Usually weapons are export goods of the EU.

have a look to an english site: https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ition-2013.pdf

AFAIK are acts like this standard in EU
Tellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:26   #3
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellus View Post
Guess it´s no need to speak spanish, but importing weapons in EU might be a problem. Usually weapons are export goods of the EU. have a look to an english site: https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ition-2013.pdf AFAIK are acts like this standard in EU
Forget import. But also know that carrying one aboard a visiting boat is not import. The crew is also not immigrating, nor is the boat being imported. It is important to stay clear on these kind of issues as citing texts on imports of weapons may sound like a fun thing to do here but it isn't relevant. Sports shooters just carry them in their check luggage all the time so relax a bit

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:55   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Forget import. But also know that carrying one aboard a visiting boat is not import. The crew is also not immigrating, nor is the boat being imported. It is important to stay clear on these kind of issues as citing texts on imports of weapons may sound like a fun thing to do here but it isn't relevant. Sports shooters just carry them in their check luggage all the time so relax a bit
Countries in EU might have diff. regulations for using, but travelling and having fun with weapons can be quick stopped by customs, f.e. at the german border.
Firearms and ammunition
Old 01-12-2013, 05:55   #5
cruiser

Is anyone familiar with the international protocol for transporting a sport shooting shotgun when taking an international flight? I know what to do here in the US, usually it's quite easy if all the rules are followed including a locked gun case. Is it as simple as declaring the gun at the international terminal, then the bag gets checked through to the final destination which in my case would be Spanish all the way? Is there any certification required upon arrival in Spain for possession of the gun while in transit to the boat?
Old 01-12-2013, 09:13   #6

look: Spain: Hunting in Spain, General information and useful tips, Hunting ( caza) is extremely popular in Spain,
not so easy to own a gun in Europe...
Old 01-12-2013, 09:46   #7
cruiser

Post number 6 is very helpful. Muchas gracias.
Old 22-02-2014, 00:11   #8
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Kenomac, forget the Mariner, THIS is what you need! Apparently it's the latest in pirate prevention...

The UTS-15 Marine has a digitized camo pattern which incorporates a specially formulated marine blue base coat over which the black and gray non-glare digital camouflage pattern is applied. The springs used in the UTS-15 Marine have a special corrosion resistant coating and all exposed metal parts sport satin nickel plating to be impervious to saltwater. All other metal parts, such as the barrel are black chromed or similarly treated to hold up to use at sea with a minimum of maintenance. The UTS-15 was designed to meet the demands of OBS24, one of the Worlds leading security companies providing security on board commercial vessels passing through the pirate infested waters off Somalia.

The UTS-15 tactical shotgun is a 12 ga. pump action shotgun with two 7-round alternately feeding or selectable magazine tubes, that measuring 28.3” in overall length with a 18.5” barrel chambers for 2 3/4” and 3” magnum ammunition. Constructed primarily of fiber reinforced injection molded polymer the UTS-15 weighs only 6.9 lbs, for quick pointing and easy handling. The top mounted picatinny rail allows for the mounting of a wide variety of both iron and optical sights, which coupled with Beretta style barrel threading for choke tubes allows the UTS-15 to adapt to any situation (sights and choke tube pictured not included). These are the newest and current production or UTS-15 shotguns.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	76565  

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 03:02   #9
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Hi kenomac, it might be better to PM me but I'll give you the basics.

For EU citizens we have an EU firearms passport. That helps ease the issue. But we are still subject to individual country rules.

For example to transport my target stuff across boundaries I generally need an invite from a foreign club plus in some cases a temporary license from that countries local police. Further for the person that said " carry them in checked luggage " nothing of the sort is really like that. Usually to fly I need to be an airport 4-6 hours before and go throw an extraordinary rigmarole with customs security etc. airlines then all have different requirements as to what you can carry. Its not simple. ( especially transiting on point to point airlines in countries that ban certain of my firearms )

In your case if you are trying to bring in a firearm by air from outside the EU. Forget it basically.

If you intend purchasing it in the EU , not being a resident

Forget that too.

If you are bringing the Mossberg on with the boat , as has been pointed out , you are not importing the boat nor the firearm so don't read stuff about 'importing firearms ' this is a trap Gord may fell into a while back.

What you will find is that on arrival on almost all med countries, is that you will be required to declare the firearm and ammunition.

What then happens is very much a function of the customs / police you meet. Some will have a very very negative attitude and will apply the letter of the law. This typically means the fire arm will be detained , transported to a secure lock up facility and you can collect it from that office on your departure. All this will incur charges, some quote steep.

In other cases if you are a fairly large vessel with a proper steel lockable gun safe , they may customs seal it till you depart.

Note that if the firearm is of a type that is illegal or even heavily restricted, it could simply be seized and you could be prosecuted. This includes tactical shotguns , semi autos, handguns, firearms with large calibre magazines, silencers, night sights , etc ( even though they may be legal for that countries citizens to own )

What you will also risk , is abject pandemonium , many Med countries have few customs and immigration people in leisure ports anymore. When you declare a firearm all hell can break loose. I know of one instance where the marina asked the yacht to leave immediately

All in all , its not worth it. And in the med there's simply no point to carry a firearm.

Leave them at home is the best advice

If you have specific question ask away

Dave
Old 22-02-2014, 03:18   #10
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Actually it is quite easy to own a gun, or several , including high calibre ones. What you can't do is license a firearm for the purpose of self defense. Hence you must show " good reason " usually that means membership of a target shouting club or a field sports shooting organisation etc. hence all firearms on Europe are licensed to sport shooters and or hunters.
Old 22-02-2014, 04:21   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Rather civilized, I believe the burden off proof on self defense is extremely high. As it should be.
Old 22-02-2014, 05:04   #12
cruiser

The last time I went through customs at the Madrid airport, the customs agent confiscated my cycling multitool which was four inches long, screwdrivers and hex wrenches, etc. Remembering that event and just how very irritating it was, I'm now thinking just how annoyed I'd be if the same thing happened with the Mossberg.

So the Mossberg is remaining stateside and instead I've decided to use Minaret's recommendation of the SOG Spirit knives as spear tips which can be a multi-use tool onboard.

Thanks for the thoughtful replies.

Ken
Old 22-02-2014, 05:42   #13

Tactical Tomahawk Black

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/90V..._TOMAHAWK.aspx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	76582  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 06:13   #14
cruiser

We already have two of the SOG tamahawks. Excellent! Went out just the other day into the woods and tested my ability to throw one into a log, but since it was well delow zero degrees, it bounced off. Lot's of fun.

Thanks
Old 22-02-2014, 07:58   #15
Armchair Bucketeer

Now that your question has been answered and a decision made, can I enquire what experiences you have had in the med to create the desire for a (self defence use) firearm onboard?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, ssb