Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2007, 15:33   #46

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
I had a DVD, arr actually a Video it was so long back, that halfway through the movie, suddenly the curtains drew and "intermission" was projected on them and I suddenly realised I was watching a film that had been recorded on a handycam in a theatre. No wonder the sound was bad and the picture was rather grainy. :-(
Get a similar thing halfway through "Wild Hog's" the sound quality drop's off a bit, and someone say's in heavily accented indian "You've dropped the mic", rustle rustle clunk and it's all good again. Picture quality fine though.

Dodgy S/S, don't think it all is, saw a building covered in it, and generally driving around was amazed at how much Stainless was used, whole fences and gates, railing's and the shown building, all shiney, very shiney.

Never seen so much shiney stuff, so reckon i'll be going flash S/S pushpit, pullpit, targa , swim ladder and rail's instead of composite and a lot of work on the newie.

I'll need another trip to check it out though, any contact's anyone.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Malaysia 360 (Large).jpg
Views:	400
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	1435   Click image for larger version

Name:	Malaysia 335 (Large).jpg
Views:	171
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	1436  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Malaysia 347 (Large).jpg
Views:	170
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	1437  
Old 25-06-2007, 17:46   #47

Why are pirates always cranky?

Because they ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRE
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2007, 23:23   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Dave,

As you know Singapore is only a 45 minute flight to KL and a 4 hour bus ride if you are on a budget. Our club has "hotel" rooms - not too flash - that overlook the moorings for visitors. S$60 per night - about $40 US.

We have a fun club and a very modest boat but if you are in the neighborhood and have time drop in, I am sure we can get a sail in. I am sure when the 50 foot puddy tat comes to Asia I'll beg a reciprocal ride - <grin>

Looks like you had fun at Petronas Towers.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2007, 23:29   #49

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Hi Dan,
what sort of work are you in?
Seafox
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 00:39   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm in commercial aviation. I run an engineering group of about 48 people scattered all over Australia/Asia supporting the airlines. Manufacturers reps if you know what that is.

Probably be making a swing down under in the next quarter. Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Auckland.
Old 26-06-2007, 01:09   #51

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Yep, my wife years ago worked for Toyota NZ and was a manufacturers rep. That was a lifetime ago.

Send me a PM if you are ever down in Wellington and we can get together for a beer and a yak.
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 19:03   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif
Dave,

As you know Singapore is only a 45 minute flight to KL and a 4 hour bus ride if you are on a budget. Our club has "hotel" rooms - not too flash - that overlook the moorings for visitors. S$60 per night - about $40 US.

We have a fun club and a very modest boat but if you are in the neighborhood and have time drop in, I am sure we can get a sail in. I am sure when the 50 foot puddy tat comes to Asia I'll beg a reciprocal ride - <grin>

Looks like you had fun at Petronas Towers.
Thank's for the info and offer, and may take you up on the offer next time we are up that way.

A question, I was told electronic's are way cheaper in Singapore than Oz, is this true.

And yes, Petronas was fine, got there early, so the que was short, but still 1 hour for a 10 min View. The Touter's in KL drove us insane, but were only there for 36hrs. Penang and Langkawi are much more our speed.

Dave
Old 26-06-2007, 22:55   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"A question, I was told electronic's are way cheaper in Singapore than Oz, is this true."

General electronics - Yes. Cameras, TVs, DVDs, hand held GPS etc, etc. You have to know exactly what you want and what it's worth because the bargaining is fierce. If the guy doesn't have what you want he will immediately start bringing out items you didn't ask for, never heard of, and don't know the price of. He will be telling you all along that the one you want is no good or last year's model and the one he is showing you is way better and cheaper which it might be but you don't know.

If you fall for this 9 outta 10 he sold you last year's model at a premium and the store 3 doors down had 100 of what you originally wanted.

It's not bad but you need to have a pretty good idea of what you want and the ability to walk away if the price isn't any good.

As far as specialty electronics - especially marine electronics - no way. The market is way to small. I don't know of one chandlery that has any inventory at all. Everything is ordered on spec.

Sometimes cheaper to do it yourself direct from suppliers but sometimes I'll pay the handling fee to the chandlery to avoid the hassle. They make out because they are aggregating shipments and collecting a small premium from me.
Old 26-06-2007, 23:07   #54

No mate it was specifically marine stuff.

Some yachties in Langkawi were telling me they were getting stuff in Singapore a fair bit cheaper than they could get it locally via west marine or Oz supplier's.

Dave
Old 26-06-2007, 23:31   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Wow - If you got a name or two I could check them out.

There is one chandlery that keeps an inventory of Harkin stuff - not electronics. Some of their prices are below West Marine's catalog. They just keep the prices at their shelf price when they stocked it. If the catalog goes up they don't remark. Weird.

It pays to shuffle around the shelves. Sometimes the exact same items will have different prices dur to different shelf dates.
Old 27-06-2007, 02:46   #56

I was being led to belive that by contacting the office or agent in Singapore for say

Furuno

Contact to Distributors | Marine | Products | -Furuno Electric Co.,Ltd.

Koden

JASON ELECTRONICS PTE LTD

Garmin

NaviCom Technology Pte Ltd
200 Jalan Sultan #10-03
Textile Centre
Singapore 199018
Phone: 65 6296 8238
Fax: 65 6295 0996
E-mail:
sales@navicomtechnology.com

etc. etc. that they would offer dealer's prices to ensure that THEY got the deal over the likes of West Marine , BLA etc.

Don't know if that is actually how it work's though.

Dave

PS, just saw the title of this thread, talk about thread drift, but I suppose better than almost non existent pirates.

Dave
Old 19-11-2007, 05:11   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Firearms and piracy

I have tried to largely stay out of the firearms threads, but in doing some research, I found this and just thought it was soooo telling:

http://www.noonsite.com/Members/doina/R2007-03-20-2

These guys had successfully fended off what they perceived to be an attempted boarding. They just showed their numbers aboard and the "pirates" (off Sri Lanka) turned away.

I quote:

"Eventually when they saw more people on board they hesitated and then started drifting away from us. They kept close watch to us at the back of our boat for another 5 minutes. Finally they changed course and went away from us.

At that moment I started regretting that I did not bring my shotguns with me. The best defense against small time pirates. But dangerous if the pirates are heavily armed, because you will then invite big fire back on you!"

So, they handled the situation without a shot being fired or blood being spilled, but still wish they'd had an armed encounter??!! Not to mention that the whole encounter looks suspiciously like some overzealous fish mongers.

Old 19-11-2007, 06:30   #58

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Wouldn't fishmongers (even the overzealous type) have fish?
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2007, 09:35   #59

Boat: NONE yet
A friend of a friend, signed up with a boat in Venezuela. He did not know at the time they where pirates. His first job on the boat included chasing down and capturing a sailing yacht. They removed everything of value from the boat,(all electronics, the sails, all the food in the galley) including the engine, left the couple on board with a handheld VHF. This is second hand info so I am not sure how much of it true.

I would have to agree Phoenix AZ is worse than the high seas.
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2007, 13:34   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
doina’s ”pirate report” reads a lot more like a typical encounter with opportunistic “street toughs” (OK, boat toughs), than with “pirates”.
I could understand their concern whilst events developed, and the outcome remained in doubt; but to pine for weaponry as the situation safely resolves* strikes me as either an overstatement (for dramatic purposes) or pure foolishness.

* “… They kept close watch to us at the back of our boat for another 5 minutes. Finally they changed course and went away from us. At that moment I started regretting that I did not bring my shotguns with me…”

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
piracy