Yes 11 20.00%
No 38 69.09%
something that falls between/outside yes/no 6 10.91%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2019, 13:50   #76

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: MOB Experience/Frequency

[QUOTE=sailorboy1;2983409]wife went into the water yesterday, falling between the dock and the boat

How did you get her back onbd?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 13:55   #77
CLOD

Boat: none

[QUOTE=Ecos;2983426]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
wife went into the water yesterday, falling between the dock and the boat

How did you get her back onbd?
stern swim platform/ladder, had to put the dinghy down to do it
Old 24-09-2019, 14:14   #78

Boat: Seafarer36c

So at sea, you would need to also drop the dinghy?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 14:23   #79

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I will say, and free safe in doing so, that the majority of MOB deaths in boating activities have alcohol involved. I personally feel that by far the most dangerous boating thing I regularly do is getting into/out of the dinghy, and once you factor in a few drinks out before hand............

So far on the thread there appears to be a much higher chance of falling off the dock than the boat.

I'm not suggesting make light of MOB concerns as I feel a MOB that wasn't kind of "casual" is fairly close to a death sentence. But they aren't anywhere as frequent as believed and thought of.
There is no question in my mind that alcohol was involved in the MOB fatality that occurred when the Chief fell overboard off the seiner I was driving. The Coroners report made a point of mentioning it. No charges arose out of the incident, however.
The reason I brought it up was as a cautionary note that boozing and being on the water do not mix!
Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 15:42   #80

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

I voted yes/no/ maybe (see the video) my wife and I wear our ALWAYS wear our vest at night and are ALWAYS tethered in at night

We always double-hand so if one of us goes overboard, the other person is sleeping and that's it.

We also have personal AIS and personal EPRIB beacons. Our chartplotter is set to show if one of the AIS beacons goes off and sound the alarm

Getting the person back on board is the main issue. We purchased (I never seen it discussed) a "Life saver net" which is in reality a huge fishing net that you can scoop under the person in the water then use a halyard to haul him/her on board.

Otherwise, every boat should have a halyard with a carabiner at the end that can be hook into the D-ring on the life vest

But here is the video showing my yes/no/maybe

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 17:12   #81

Boat: Outremer 55L
MOB Experience/Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post

Otherwise, every boat should have a halyard with a carabiner at the end that can be hook into the D-ring on the life vest

Ummm, no. You may have PFDs that are lift-capable. Just be aware that the vast majority of PFDs are not. Even those with integrated harness loops or rings, are not made to lift a person vertically (ie, with a halyard).

The crotch straps and their fastenings are generally ONLY strong enough to keep the PFD from floating up if you lift your arms - they are NOT strong enough to support your entire weight.

Check your PFDs before planning on lifting a MOB back onboard with a halyard.

While not a certified hack, you could change the crotch straps and their fastenings to the integrated harness to one’s that are lift capable or to make them up yourself. If you do, test extensively. This is not advice!

[added on edit]
Or, plan to use a life sling or equivalent to lift the MOB. Hook the halyard to the life sling, NOT the MOB!
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 17:30   #82

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Ummm, no. You may have PFDs that are lift-capable. Just be aware that the vast majority of PFDs are not. Even those with integrated harness loops or rings, are not made to lift a person vertically (ie, with a halyard).

The crotch straps and their fastenings are generally ONLY strong enough to keep the PFD from floating up if you lift your arms - they are NOT strong enough to support your entire weight.

Check your PFDs before planning on lifting a MOB back onboard with a halyard.

While not a certified hack, you could change the crotch straps and their fastenings to the integrated harness to one’s that are lift capable or to make them up yourself. If you do, test extensively. This is not advice!

[added on edit]
Or, plan to use a life sling or equivalent to lift the MOB. Hook the halyard to the life sling, NOT the MOB!
your life sling etc are all assuming your MOB is conscious and able to help - they usually aren't when i blue water- - that's the reason we have the "fishing net"

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 24-09-2019, 17:51   #83
CLOD

Boat: none

Assuming the poll responses are correct, I’m surprised and fearful that 17% have had a major mob
Old 24-09-2019, 21:04   #84

Quote:
your life sling etc are all assuming your MOB is conscious and able to help - they usually aren't when i blue water- - that's the reason we have the "fishing net"

Yes, you’re right, retrieval is much easier when the MOB is able to help. Retrieving a MOB when unable to help, or if horizontal retrieval is necessary, is a much bigger problem.

The cargo/fishing net idea is a good solution. I’ve used it extensively for victim recovery into RHIBs (I used to be a volunteer with the Canadian Coastguard Auxiliary in BC, now known as Royal Canadian Marine Search and Rescue). One edge of the net is fastened to the the inside of the hull. It’s draped over the tube and due to a weighted pole along the outer edge it sinks straight down along the side of the boat. Two lines to each end of the pole are held loosely by one or two crew each. The MOB is guided or handled so that they are alongside the boat, against the net (and tube) on one side and inside the two lines on the outside. After making sure the MOB’s arms are along their body we take up on the two lines. The MOB ends up being inside the net and is basically rolled up and over the tube and into the boat.

Multiple crew make almost any recovery technique easy, or at least straight forward. For a couple boat with only one person on board and an unresponsive MOB everything becomes much more difficult. Using the net system as we used in the Coastguard would work using a halyard and a winch instead of two - four people using brute strength on the lifting lines.

But what about getting them on deck - our Coastguard RHIB did not have lifelines? How does your net system work?
Old 26-09-2019, 13:23   #85

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yes, you’re right, retrieval is much easier when the MOB is able to help. Retrieving a MOB when unable to help, or if horizontal retrieval is necessary, is a much bigger problem.

The cargo/fishing net idea is a good solution. I’ve used it extensively for victim recovery into RHIBs (I used to be a volunteer with the Canadian Coastguard Auxiliary in BC, now known as Royal Canadian Marine Search and Rescue). One edge of the net is fastened to the the inside of the hull. It’s draped over the tube and due to a weighted pole along the outer edge it sinks straight down along the side of the boat. Two lines to each end of the pole are held loosely by one or two crew each. The MOB is guided or handled so that they are alongside the boat, against the net (and tube) on one side and inside the two lines on the outside. After making sure the MOB’s arms are along their body we take up on the two lines. The MOB ends up being inside the net and is basically rolled up and over the tube and into the boat.

Multiple crew make almost any recovery technique easy, or at least straight forward. For a couple boat with only one person on board and an unresponsive MOB everything becomes much more difficult. Using the net system as we used in the Coastguard would work using a halyard and a winch instead of two - four people using brute strength on the lifting lines.

But what about getting them on deck - our Coastguard RHIB did not have lifelines? How does your net system work?
Our system is really quit simple and manufactured by a Danish company. Imagine a fishing net exactly like an angler would use to scoop up a trout from a stream. Now enlarge this so you can scoop up a person (the frame around the net is strengthen to manage the extra weight and stress).

You attached the handle end to a halyard and sail up alongside the conscious or unconscious MOB, scoop him/her into the net and use the halyard to haul them up over the railing.

This is really the only way to safely recover an MOB when you are alone inthe boat

Old 26-09-2019, 14:22   #86

Quote:
Our system is really quit simple and manufactured by a Danish company. Imagine a fishing net exactly like an angler would use to scoop up a trout from a stream. Now enlarge this so you can scoop up a person (the frame around the net is strengthen to manage the extra weight and stress).

You attached the handle end to a halyard and sail up alongside the conscious or unconscious MOB, scoop him/her into the net and use the halyard to haul them up over the railing.

This is really the only way to safely recover an MOB when you are alone inthe boat

Fabulous. Link please.
Old 26-09-2019, 14:36   #87

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Fabulous. Link please.
This is a link to a competitor. really simple system unfortunately the webpage is in Danish, but you can see the pics. urs is much like this but perhaps a bit nicer finish on it. Simply scoop the MOB up in the net and haul them up in a halyard, dump them on the deck.

Thyborøn Skibs & Motor A/S - Redningskese

Old 26-09-2019, 17:10   #88

Quote:
This is a link to a competitor. really simple system unfortunately the webpage is in Danish, but you can see the pics. urs is much like this but perhaps a bit nicer finish on it. Simply scoop the MOB up in the net and haul them up in a halyard, dump them on the deck.

Thyborøn Skibs & Motor A/S - Redningskese

Basically a really big fishing net. Really curious about how strong the pipe frame needs to be to suspend a person.

Click image for larger version

Name:	310DCF7D-AF0A-41F1-ABF9-B38CD05966DD-2049-00000246AC69C84C.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	440.0 KB
ID:	200579

Click image for larger version

Name:	2BB09206-70D2-4B00-965D-833963BA19C5-2049-00000246C024A9F2.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	434.2 KB
ID:	200580

Tags