Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2013, 05:36   #1

Medication Refills

Any babyboomers ever have trouble refilling any of their medications? My husband must take 6 codeine tabs everyday for a condition he has. Although he can get large quantities, it would never be enough if we travel for 2 years. How do you get refills of medications from the BVI's?

Thanks for sharing!

Jen
Naughty Jenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 05:49   #2

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: Medication Refills

Hi Jen! I brought this issue to my wife, who is a US physician. She said that someone who has to take so much pain killers per day, should not really be on a boat. As far as getting Codeine abroad, or its equivalent, it will be extremely difficult to obtain as it is an OPIATE derivative. We are assuming that he is taking 6-T3/day, and he has some spinal injury. We are also assuming that you will be voyaging on a sailboat, not a cruise ship. Let me know, if it is not the case. Good luck!

Mauritz
Pharmacy - Board Certified
Old 15-09-2013, 06:10   #3

Hey thanks for the reply, my husband had a an ulcerated large bowel back in 89 that had to be removed. In order for him to escape having to have a illeostomy bag, they preformed a surgery on him call a J pouch. This J pouch acts as a holding tank, so to speak until he eliminates. What the codeine does is controls his spincter so that he is not incontinent. Its not for pain but control and there not T3's its 30mg of condeine. He knows someday he will have to have the surgery (illeostomy bag) but he is trying to go as long as he can without it.

I guess we will have to ask our doctor and pharmacist what our options are.
Old 15-09-2013, 06:28   #4

Hi Jen! Knowing your husband's background, my wife thinks that both of you should be flying to the BVI and let your husband establish a medical relationship with a local physician. Take with you all his medical charts. Your new BVI physician will contact your current US physician. Two scenarios: 1) The BVI physician may continue the treatment given by his US counterpart; 2) The BVI physician may require the surgery to be performed, because of the severity of the case. Logistics in obtaining Codeine in large quantities will have to be resolved. Pharmacy regulations in the BVI are different than in the US; monthly refills, rather than 6 months or more for opiates prescriptions. Let me know if you have any additional questions. Good luck!

Mauritz
Old 15-09-2013, 06:32   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

what teknav sed...md to md communication can relieve a lot of headache potential--find one you like and go from there.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 06:47   #6

Good idea! He did say that he is going to start to wean down his dose to get to maybe 2 per day. This will make his 6 mth refill go a lot longer, but having a doctor over there is a good plan.
Thanks again
Old 15-09-2013, 07:28   #7

I would start discussing the situation with your MD now rather than waiting untill just before you go. I also agree with the sugestion to establish a relationship with an MD in the Caribbean who will communicate with your home MD.

I don't know where else your travel plans may extend to but you could look into the following organizations for some possible information and resources.

IAMAT
Requires a free membership (donations encouraged) before you can get to the detailed information.

TRAVEL MD
Luke_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 07:53   #8

Also I forgot to add. For the caribbean it may be as simple as discussing with your medication provider. I don't know where he fills his scrips now but it would be worth talking to them.

CVS and some others have pharmacies in US territories (PR,USVI), and tricare / express scrips will deliver to, and have participating pharmacies in US territories and possibly BVI.
Luke_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 08:03   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke_Y View Post
Also I forgot to add. For the caribbean it may be as simple as discussing with your medication provider. I don't know where he fills his scrips now but it would be worth talking to them.

CVS and some others have pharmacies in US territories (PR,USVI), and tricare / express scrips will deliver to, and have participating pharmacies in US territories and possibly BVI.
Thank you for the links I will check them out. We definitely will look into discussing with our pharmacist and physician
Old 15-09-2013, 08:08   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Medication Refills

Codeine is available over the counter here (or used to be) along with Paracetamol etc... many things restricted in the States are over the counter here...
Its like when I wanted to buy some Zovirax in American Samoa.. was told I needed a 'scrip'... here its just another store item..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 08:25   #11

Hiya Boatie! When I was in Cozumel - MX, I bought a box of DARVON (a pain killer), after paying the pharmacist 200 pesos ($18 USD) for a script; no physical was required of me even though I sprained my back. You're correct about many US drugs requiring scripts, are sold over the counter in foreign countries; mostly generics. When it comes to OPIATE based drugs, it can be dicey finding them at all in some countries, let alone over the counter. Another issue that you have to deal with...if you bought pain killer drugs over the counter, then try to go through customs with them...you could be in serious legal trouble...no pharmacy labels with your name on the boxes! Always play it safe!

Mauritz
Old 15-09-2013, 18:31   #12

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

If you are in the BVI you may end up finding it easier to simply fly back to Miami and get your refill there. Prescriptions can more easily be moved within the USA than overseas. My wife had similiar issues and gave up on trying to get supplies of what she needed overseas. It simply wasnt going to happen. But a roundtrip to Miami for a day isnt so bad, at least not when you consider what it costs to keep a boat running.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 18:58   #13

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Having just returned to the US after a year cruising Mexico I can tell you that in the US the whole thing is a royal pain in the ass and that Mexico's healthcare system is superior in almost every way.
In Mexico you walk into the dr's office, usually without an appointment, you're seen within 5-10 minutes, you tell him/her what you need, they give it to you, they give you their CELLPHONE NUMBER, you pay between $3.00 and $40.00 depending on the doctor and you go to any of the billion pharmacies and pay very little for your medication.
Mostly everything is over the counter anyway except antibiotics and controlled substances.