Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2016, 10:35   #1

Boat: Boatless
Medical Issues While Cruising

I am a retired physician and full-time cruiser who is in the process of writing a new 'Medicine for Cruisers' book that will be available in both hard copy and web-based format. The book will be basically practical and cover pre-cruising medicals, cruising with pre-existing conditions, obtaining medications in foreign locations, possible insurance strategies, first aid, treatment of basic medical problems and emergencies, obtaining medical help in foreign countries, medical repatriation and the level of first aid and drug kits that can be sensibly carried.

Since medical texts are an excellent cure for insomnia I plan to illustrate the book with actual experiences of cruisers. In order to do this, I am asking for members to share, with me, their medical and insurance experiences, good, bad and informative, an example would be cruising with type I diabetes. I plan to write a definitive but practical book that will be of significant value to cruisers. Suggestions about the ideal format are also welcome.

I will maintain patient anonymity and medical confidentiality throughout the process. I will, with permission, contact anybody who contributes to verify the details of their experience.

Contributions can be on the forum, direct pm's or to my e-mail which I will provide if requested.

Phil Kellett MD.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 10:48   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 54DS
Re: Medical Issues While Cruising

Phil
Fabulous idea. Keep us posted, I for one will clearly be interested in your book when it comes out.
Personal request: include a chapter on dental emergencies. Has happened more than once on my boat... and a real difficulty to deal with when you're far off shore...
Phoenician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 19:02   #3

Fantastic idea! I will definitely be interested in this book as well. As said before, please keep us updated.
Best of Luck!
Lee
TomAndLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 19:16   #4

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Great Idea, and to answer dental emergencies, we use superglue (Cynaoacrylate) with Bicarbonate of soda for fillings. A section on stings would be good...
Old 20-05-2016, 08:06   #5

Boat: Oyster 55

Terrific idea for a very useful book. I'd like to put in my advance order now!
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 08:14   #6

Boat: Skookum 47

Great idea! I am thinking about attending some like this:

Maritime Medicine — Backcountry Medical Guides

but having a text and literature to refer to is a great idea as well.

Thanks!
SF Bay Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 08:27   #7

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
I am a retired physician... I will maintain patient anonymity and medical confidentiality throughout the process. I will, with permission, contact anybody who contributes to verify the details of their experience. Contributions can be on the forum, direct pm's or to my e-mail which I will provide if requested. Phil Kellett MD.
Hi ! Back in 1976, before doing my first Atlantic crossing from UK to Martinique I asked my GP if I should have my appendix remove. He said "no, statistically you have little chance of getting an appendicitis..." I wasn't happy with his answer & I went to see a surgeon from the government health service (I was a Canadian civil servant with good health coverage. He told me he could do it the next day! I had it remove... end of the story... What's your opinion on that ? and good luck for your book !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Appendectomy.gif
Views:	263
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	124604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Appendectomy.png
Views:	447
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	124605  

ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 09:28   #8

we have used that old standby of many expeditions: Medicine for Mountaineering . Great book and good for sailing as well as climbing, maybe even more so. Its a classic, still published today, 25 plus years in print. There are other medical manuals for expeditions, long distance hiking, and yes, even for voyaging.
Not sure a new wheel is needed, but good luck.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 09:35   #9

Boat: Casacde 36

Could be, I'm your guy. Type 1 for some 30+ years. Decided to enjoy whatever life I have left. Been sailing, teaching sailing for some 20 years, got my 50T USCG license, last year took my old Cascade36 out to Hawaii and back, spent the last 5 years on the BC coast. Navigated my way thru Medicare.
I have helped other diabetics with their adventures and would like to help you with such a project.
Contact me anytime.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 09:40   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

On the appendix thing, I believe that for long duration space flight that was considered and was decided against.
That may be incorrect and may be an Urban legend, but I think maybe whatever the protocols for long duration space flight are, may be worth looking into, cause in a way, its pretty similar?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 10:26   #11

Boat: 1976 Albin 7.9 meter sailboat

At a Safety at Sea Seminar, I heard a doctor describe how he closed a very nasty gash on a woman's head. He used her HAIR to 'suture' the cut by tying strands from each side of the gash together. It worked to stop the terrific bleeding that can occur with a head wound, but a bandage and tape might well stick to my head better than a long haired person. Wouldn't work on old baldy like me, but it's an idea that will stick with me forever!

Sounds like a great project you have going....
scareygary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 12:18   #12

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
On the appendix thing, I believe that for long duration space flight that was considered and was decided against.
That may be incorrect and may be an Urban legend, but I think maybe whatever the protocols for long duration space flight are, may be worth looking into, cause in a way, its pretty similar?
I think the similarity ends at "being away".
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 13:41   #13

Boat: Westerley Longbow

Hi, what a great idea, I'm a type 1 diabetic and have had it for past 48yrs, am very well controlled have done parachuting, paragliding, sub-aqua as well as sailing single-handed.
If you want any help or questions answered please let me know
ianrwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 14:01   #14

Boat: Oceanis 45

I'd be very interested. We are leaving for the Bahamas in October and the whole medical chapter is still blank for us. As a Type 2 diabetic, am I going to be able to get insurance? Still an unknown.
Myknjul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 14:07   #15

Boat: 1995 Catalina 36 MkII

Sounds like a great idea for a book Doc. Made me think about a book that got us through 15 years as a family living in SE Asia - "Where There is No Doctor." Not sure if it is still available but it provided some very helpful information.
rbyham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, cruising, medical