Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2017, 13:27   #196
cruiser

Re: Medical Equipment AED Onboard

This season we're basically cruising a 400 mile out and back course mostly along the coastal islands, so emergency services aren't very far away. But it would take up to an hour sometimes for them to get to us. So it makes perfect sense; it's one of those things you really don't need... until you really do need it, because nothing else will work.

I'm not suggesting everyone go out and buy one, but if the the need arose and you were anchored in the bay of Kotor, would you rather have two nurses equipped with an AED anchored next to you, or someone, without an AED and just a cellphone?

My wife and I aren't wired to just stand there and say "oh well, why bother trying, who's going to call?"
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:53   #197

There is a company out of Atlanta GA called Deep Blue Medical. They specialize in medical training for cruisers. The course are cheap and fun. They go from basic first aid up to advance training. I have used them before for training and medical face time via computer. They have a bunch of other services also.
There contact number is 404-966-0778
cveasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 12:22   #198

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Following a true heart attack where a large enough portion of the cardiac muscle is damaged or has died, very few if any people can survive this situation... only in the movies. But cardiac stoppage due to an accident, arrhythmia, electrical shock, drowning etc., really in most cases just requires CPR, artificial respiration and a jump start... as long as the heart has not been damaged.
I myself have been jump started a couple of times. Scared a nurse half to death when i yelled HEY HEY GET THAT ****ING THING AWAY FROM ME...the doc said, sir, we lost you for about 45 seconds there and i know i had a puzzled look on my face when i said ...are you sure?? Lol. Nicknamed her jumper cables and it stuck.
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 12:28   #199

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
I'm not suggesting everyone go out and buy one, but if the the need arose and you were anchored in the bay of Kotor, would you rather have two nurses equipped with an AED anchored next to you, or someone, without an AED and just a cellphone?

My wife and I aren't wired to just stand there and say "oh well, why bother trying, who's going to call?"
Oh, you are talking about the first world with emergency responders, CCUs and cellphones. I thought we were discussing cruising.. Big difference.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:39   #200
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Oh, you are talking about the first world with emergency responders, CCUs and cellphones. I thought we were discussing cruising.. Big difference.
Well I guess it depends on where you go cruising doesn't it? We prefer Old World cruising which usually comes along with first class EMS services included, but if you prefer Turd World cruising.... then don't bother with an AED if that's your choice.
Old 05-06-2017, 13:14   #201

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Well I guess it depends on where you go cruising doesn't it? We prefer Old World cruising which usually comes along with first class EMS services included, but if you prefer Turd World cruising.... then don't bother with an AED if that's your choice.
Nice, it only took 200 posts for you to see someone else's point of view.
Old 05-06-2017, 14:06   #202
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Nice, it only took 200 posts for you to see someone else's point of view.
Don't get one if you don't want one. 'Nuff said.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:27   #203

Location: East coast USA; temperature controlled, north in summer and south in winter
Boat: 53' Skookum pilothouse cutter

We have an AED on board. My two living children have one each. My deceased son would be alive with timely shock. All respect to emergency room workers, I am an ED provider as well as an EMT, a patient who arrives at an ED pulseless is not likely to go home neurologically intact if at all. We had a patient walk into our fire station the day after B shift shocked him on his kitchen floor to thank us. He is who Kenomac is talking about. Statistics do not matter to the one person saved by an AED.
NRbar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, equipment, medical, men