Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2013, 05:55   #1

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Mass Robbery in St. Lucia

Three days ago 57 cruise ship folks robbed at gun point in the middle of the day at one of the island's top tourist attractions, the Botanical Gardens in Soufriere.

The island is downplaying the incident calling it a rare event.

St. Lucia: Mass robbery of cruisers a 'rare incident'
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 06:04   #2
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Mass Robbery in St. Lucia

Gotta admire folks with ambition .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 06:18   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

what better way to make a years income than ripoff a few over rich touristas.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 07:14   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Gotta admire folks with ambition .
It's simple, the " economics of scale."
Old 15-04-2013, 07:25   #5

We did that Soufriere tour last year (Botanical Gardens, and the Caribbean's only drive-in volcano! ) as part of a daysail package from Marigot Bay. There were only 4 of us, and we're cheapskates, so they wouldn't have netted much from us.

The gardens are worth the visit, and I'm not normally a garden person. The volcano caldera/mud-baths... meh.

Anyways I expect the perps will be caught and hopefully their tourism won't take a hit.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 07:42   #6

My gal and I where on a Wind Star Cruise that stopped in St. Lucia many years back. We rented a car and attempted just to drive around the island. We got shaken down at every turn by "guides". I'd never go back with my boat after that experience and that was decades ago. Sounds like things have gotten worse.
Old 15-04-2013, 07:47   #7

This is what happens when poverty meets wealth.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 08:52   #8

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

A recent thread meandered off to include links to a survey report, sponsored by a cartel of cruise ship operators.
This report, IMO, heavily positively biased in their favor, gave figures as to the effect these cattle barges play in an island's economy.
Nowhere does it deal with the effect on the psyche of islanders who view the apparent disparity, often with hostility.
The cost to an island's economic structure, just to provide enlarged, improved, docking and tendering facilities to handle the constantly increasing size of these ships, often creates frustration among the havenots, whose needs are seen to be placed way down the hierarchy of survival.
The total disruption of transportation systems such as buses and taxis, which scramble to survive with a reduced, local only patronage off-season, struggle with over burden when 15000 visitors arrive all at once.
The exploitation and price-gouging dictated by the ship in order for local tours and entertainment to be sold on- board, is nothing short of piracy.
Many islands are between a rock and a hard place.
Old 15-04-2013, 09:01   #9

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
what better way to make a years income than ripoff a few over rich touristas.....

This is truly a horrible and insensitive remark concerning people who have been robbed at gunpoint while on vacation.Firstly, probably the majority of people on those cruise ships are not "over rich" but hard working people who want to take a nice vacation in the sun. But, are you saying that people who are "over rich" should be targets of violence from those who are not? Do they not deserve the right of dignity and freedom from assault? Is it because they live better than most because of hard work or inheritance and this is not fair since everyone should live at the same economic level in life and share in a communal misery. I believe they have tried that approach in China, Russia, and Cuba and history has recorded how successful they were. Rob the rich, give to the poor? Level the playing field? Power to the people? Evil rich, noble poor? Let them eat cake? I hope I never have to live in your twisted view of the world.
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 09:12   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
This is truly a horrible and insensitive remark concerning people who have been robbed at gunpoint while on vacation.Firstly, probably the majority of people on those cruise ships are not "over rich" but hard working people who want to take a nice vacation in the sun.
What's "over rich"? Americans are known throughout the world as being wealthy relative to the rest of the world, and being too naive to realize it.

Those nice, hard working people enjoy a standard of living that is higher than most of the world's population. They're on a cruise, but don't feel wealthy.

They don't "deserve" to be robbed, but your comment shows a need of better awareness of their wealth relative to the rest of the world. Google "core and periphery".
Old 15-04-2013, 09:12   #11

Rognvald,
Not that zee needs me to defend her, but having enjoyed her input over the years, I would read that remark as just her big sigh as to how many of the perps actually see things this way.
Old 15-04-2013, 09:14   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Rognvald,
Not that zee needs me to defend her, but having enjoyed her input over the years, I would read that remark as just her big sigh as to how many of the perps actually see things this way.
That's the way I saw it also!
Old 15-04-2013, 09:21   #13

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Rognvald,
BlueStocking,
I think there are areas that are appropriate for sarcasm and/or humor and those that are not. Violence against the person: murder, rape and robbery is one of those categories. We live in an ever changing world where violence is becoming commonplace--Mexico, Central America, South America, the Caribbean and yes, the US. When people become desensitized to violence, the world becomes a far more dangerous place. Good luck and good sailing.
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 09:24   #14

Quote:
Rognvald,
I agree. I don't think zee was advocating robbery.
Old 15-04-2013, 09:31   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
BlueStocking,
I think there are areas that are appropriate for sarcasm and/or humor and those that are not. Violence against the person: murder, rape and robbery is one of those categories. We live in an ever changing world where violence is becoming commonplace--Mexico, Central America, South America, the Caribbean and yes, the US. When people become desensitized to violence, the world becomes a far more dangerous place. Good luck and good sailing.
Amen !! to that brother/sister. I do agree with your concern.