Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2020, 11:33   #1

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37
Manual Bilge Pumps

I have to say I was surprised when perusing manual bilge pumps and I saw the $1267 price tag on a 30gpm pump system / $900 for pump only. I suppose that would be worth it if it saved the boat or even electrical / engine in a sort of worse case scenario. I'd appreciate any recommendations for a more affordable, high capacity, sturdy, long-handled, portable pump if anyone has one. Thank you.

Tiemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 11:43   #2

Re: Manual Bilge Pumps

I had a Whale Gusher Titan on my last boat. $150 at defender. Never had to use it, we were on the "dusty bilges" program for the most part and used a wet/dry vac to pick up what little did accumulate.

They aren't portable. You install them where you can reach the (removable) handle from the helm, and plumb them in.

Portable ones aren't as useful because you need five hands to hold them in place, hold the discharge overboard, and pump them. I've tried.

Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 11:50   #3

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Lesser flow of "23gpm" but much less expensive.

I've never had either, though.

https://www.oceanchandlery.com/whale...ilge-pump.html
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 12:50   #4

Boat: EDELCAT33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I had a Whale Gusher Titan on my last boat. $150 at defender. Never had to use it, we were on the "dusty bilges" program for the most part and used a wet/dry vac to pick up what little did accumulate.

They aren't portable. You install them where you can reach the (removable) handle from the helm, and plumb them in.

Portable ones aren't as useful because you need five hands to hold them in place, hold the discharge overboard, and pump them. I've tried.

I have mounted them as portable using a 2 ft by 6 inch plywood piece. Works well that way. I will take a picture when I get back to the bot if you are interested.
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 15:45   #5

Thx guys. Agreed, that a portable would be awkward to use. The one I mentioned comes mounted on a board with areas to place the feet, hoses etc... . I guess that's what you pay if you cannot cut the a board and mount it yourself. I've also read about some folks making a Y at the salt water intake (pre sea strainer) which can handle a hose when needed therefore using the engine's pump as an alternate bilge pump. Sounds interesting until I forget to switch the valve back to the thru hull after the bilge is emptied. And, I have no idea how many gpm a Yanmar 50 draws up and out thru the exhaust.
Old 15-05-2020, 18:45   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Best to avoid flooding in the first place. Good valves, hoses, etc. How long can you pump 30 gallons a minute? Stay Afloat will plug a big thru hull. Available at most bigger marine stores, and sometimes on Amazon and eBay.
Attached Images

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 19:12   #7

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Best to avoid flooding in the first place. Good valves, hoses, etc. How long can you pump 30 gallons a minute? Stay Afloat will plug a big thru hull. Available at most bigger marine stores, and sometimes on Amazon and eBay.
I wonder how this differs from plumber's putty?
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 12:25   #8

Stay Afloat and Splash Zone or similar are on my "to buy" list. Both look effective but I would not want to epoxy a through hull if Stay Afloat would plug it up just as effectively. I always start out thinking over the top (bilge pumps). If the built-in hand pump craps out and I cannot get to the leak... I'd pump a long, long time before loosing my home.

Tags
bilge, bilge pump, pump