Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2017, 18:59   #1

Looking for ladder reccomendations

I have tried a couple different ladders to use for MOB and moreso for swimming when we anchor etc. getting back on the boat is always an ordeal so I am looking for some recommendations. I have tried a sea dog rope ladder with plastic treads too.

I know I do not want a fixed/permanent ladder off the stern. This boat is a Navy44, has a great deal of hull above the water line. The ladders that I have seen at local stores dont seem to be long enough to extend down under the waterline naturally making boarding a difficult thing.

I cant be alone in this battle- perhaps someone could give me a recommendation of something worthy of the investment.
CourageousME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 21:25   #2

Re: Looking for ladder reccomendations

Are you looking for ladders like this Marine Dock Ladders | Overton's
FayeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:03   #3

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

What you want is a Dixon latch ladder. Quality product.

https://www.qwikmarine.com/mobile/Pr...ductCode=140R6

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:12   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourageousME View Post
I have tried a couple different ladders to use for MOB and moreso for swimming when we anchor etc. getting back on the boat is always an ordeal so I am looking for some recommendations. I have tried a sea dog rope ladder with plastic treads too.

I know I do not want a fixed/permanent ladder off the stern. This boat is a Navy44, has a great deal of hull above the water line. The ladders that I have seen at local stores dont seem to be long enough to extend down under the waterline naturally making boarding a difficult thing.

I cant be alone in this battle- perhaps someone could give me a recommendation of something worthy of the investment.
See this thread, which currently running..
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...se-188863.html
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:27   #5

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

I didn't bother to read the referenced thread on this subject, so my post may be a bit redundant to those in that thread.
For a normal boarding from the water, a dinghy or water taxi, a mid-ship ladder works best - especially for boats with high freeboard as that is normally the place of lowest freeboard. There are two reasons to prefer a stern ladder: (1) If you routinely raft up with other boats; and (2) you keep your dinghy on stern davits. A removable ladder that can be set up at either location would be ideal.
I don't have davits, so I went with a mid-ship ladder (Deck and Rigging Upgrades) from Tops-In-Quality. This is a custom manufacturer who can make you a ladder of any reasonable length to accommodate your freeboard. I'm sure any of the other manufacturers cited in these threads can also make one to your specifications. Of course these custom ladders are not inexpensive.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 14:54   #6

Boat: Tartan 37

Navy 44 is a solid boat and very surprised that the Navy had these boats without permanent boarding ladders. I sailed on one back in the 90's during the US Offshore Championship, great fun and I don't remember a ladder. I'm would add a permanent stern ladder and also add a temporary ladder midship at the gate. Midship is easier for getting getting out of dinghys. The aft one is much easier to deploy in a seaway, and for getting someone out of the water.

Quick story I jumped in off my parents boat, to retrieve a flipped inflatable. The following wind had built and the dinghy with a motor had flipped, and the painter had parted. After getting the dinghy secured in the 6-8 ft seas, the tricky parts was getting back onboard. They had a midship folding teak ladder, trust me it's a challenge to set and lower these types in any type of sea. Plus they will pinch your hands while moving.

I've gone over twice, so ladders are the most important safety item on my boat. We were sailing off Wolf Trap in the bay. The boat was sailing itself at 6.5kts, just a prefect day. I went forward to secure a rattle in the anchor. It was a super claim day and didn't have a lifejacket. While bent over, the bow hit a freak wave. First the bow went up and then it peirce the second wave. Now I'm flying in the air and sliding down the genny. I was able to grap the lifelines. With my hat, glasses gone and shorts around my ankles being dragged at 6.5kts, I yell. My girlfriend was asleep, but heard the call. After a quick stop and a deployed lifesling. I was able to let go and slide to the back of the boat, grab the line and pull myself to the stern to the aft ladder. My stern ladder has a line at the water level, that allows it to be lowered while in the water.

Think about the worst conditions you might need to get off and on the boat or people out of the water. I know the OP doesn't want a stern ladder, but it is my first choice.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 06:58   #7

I wanted to follow up. I really wanted to avoid drilling/mounting something permanent on Courageous. I had a nice chat with the west marine manager who gave me three ladders to try out- actually the 6 step west marine stainless folding fit the best. the bottom 2+ steps are under the waterline which is great and it was affordable. fits my needs and I would give it a shot if you are looking at options.
CourageousME is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men