Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2020, 04:31   #1

Boat: Tayana FD-12
Looking for dewatering pump options

I am wondering if anyone carries a dewatering pump. I am looking for something in the 2-3" hose range, but I would like to get a diesel pump. Looks like gasoline pumps are more plentiful. Did anyone hook up an emergency pump to their diesel engine? or does anyone run a 120V pump off of the generator?
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 05:00   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Looking for dewatering pump options

I carried a gasoline pump for awhile, and used it once, but it rusted up rather quickly sitting on the foredeck. It was set up such that it could draw from the bilge while sitting on the mid deck. In reality, it was not very practical. One problem is that cheap gasoline pumps tend to be centrifugal, and difficult to prime when in one hell of a hurry.

If you want to start an argument between extreme positions, just raise the question of piping your water pump">raw water pump so that it can draw from the bilge. Some advocate doing it, and others say that it will sink your boat for you. The seacocks to do it are readily available.

I have a 1 1/2" pump with a clutch that I am part way through attaching to the engine.

The question does remain - how to incorporate a pump that has a chance of keeping up with a serious leak. At the moment, I think I'm in denial on that one.
Old 22-09-2020, 05:41   #3

We currently have both an electric pump powered by a diesel generator, and a portable gasoline engine powered pump. The electric pump is a Jabsco 6400-0004 with a 2HP 240V electric motor.

Consideration is currently being given to the addition of an main (diesel) engine powered dewatering pump. Not in favour myself of using the main engine cooling pump for dewatering.

If you are in salt water, this Transportation Safety Board of Canada report on issues experienced with portal pumps is worth a read: https://www.bst.gc.ca/eng/rapports-r.../m97m0005.html

Allan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4727 - Copy_tn.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	223939   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4683 - Copy_tn.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	223940  

Name:	IMG_4763 - Copy_tn.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	223941  
ayates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 06:00   #4

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

I thought this was a clever idea when I first saw it.

https://www.fastflowpump.com/bilge-pump
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 08:46   #5

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

I have a house hold sump pump with a 3" flat hose that rolls up. If I need it, either use the generator or honda generator depending upon level of water.
Cost about $89.00 from Home Depot. Hose goes out the porthole.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 09:21   #6

Boat: Norseman 400

We have a 12 volt Rule 3700 attached to a 50 foot piece of pvc swimming pool hose (blue, flexible, but strong) with a set of alligator clips on the pump to connect to any 12v battery. So, as long as at least one of our eight batteries has a charge, we can quickly connect and activate the pump.

Haven't used it in an emergency situation yet on our boat, but we used it to empty the water tanks during a repair project and were stunned by how much water it moved and how fast it drained the tanks.

The hose is long enough to reach out the companionway or any port and overboard from any location on the boat. The whole pump assembly is small - and easily and quickly portable. It fits inside a gallon sized baggie and is stored in a convenient location.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2012.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	416.7 KB
ID:	223952  
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 09:30   #7

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor647 View Post
We have a 12 volt Rule 3700 attached to a 50 foot piece of pvc swimming pool hose (blue, flexible, but strong) with a set of alligator clips on the pump to connect to any 12v battery. So, as long as at least one of our eight batteries has a charge, we can quickly connect and activate the pump.

Haven't used it in an emergency situation yet on our boat, but we used it to empty the water tanks during a repair project and were stunned by how much water it moved and how fast it drained the tanks.

The hose is long enough to reach out the companionway or any port and overboard from any location on the boat. The whole pump assembly is small - and easily and quickly portable. It fits inside a gallon sized baggie and is stored in a convenient location.
And you might be stunned how small a hole lets a lot of water into the boat. There are several threads on computing inflow, my old thread happened to pop up at the top of the search. -
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...read-6547.html
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 09:39   #8

Boat: Norseman 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
And you might be stunned how small a hole lets a lot of water into the boat. There are several threads on computing inflow, my old thread happened to pop up at the top of the search. -
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...read-6547.html
Great point! We're not kidding ourselves that only being able to pump out 3700 gallons per hour (61 gallons per minute) won't save the boat from a catastrophic strike, but thinking it would give us time to adequately address lesser issues.
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 09:42   #9

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor647 View Post
Great point! We're not kidding ourselves that only being able to pump out 3700 gallons per hour (61 gallons per minute) won't save the boat from a catastrophic strike, but thinking it would give us time to adequately address lesser issues.
Keep in mind, depending on voltage drop, amount of discharge lift and resistance in the discharge hose, that 3700 gph pump is probably putting out somewhere between 1800 and 2400 gph in the real world. 1 or 2 of those (preferably permanently mounted and plumbed to enable faster activation) can make a big difference with a failed through hull or similar size damage. But they're not going to cut it for a major collision dewatering pump.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 10:02   #10

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

If you're serious there is only one way to go.

Ericson Safety Pump 36,000 GPHaAnd remember diesels run submerged as long as they have air.

https://www.aes.net.nz/esp-pumps.html

Yes I have one.
Russ
S/V Ascension
Ted Brewer Kingsland 44' Steel
Old 22-09-2020, 10:03   #11

Boat: 42' Grand Banks M/Y

I bought a 120-volt AC pump from Harbor Freight. I’m not on the boat now so can’t provide exact specs, but if memory serves it draws less then 10 amps so it can be powered by an inverter or genset. It’s a beast, can drain a 5 gallon bucket In 4 seconds. It lives with its hose in a milk crate in the bilge.
Blaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 10:33   #12

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingchiro View Post
I have a house hold sump pump with a 3" flat hose that rolls up. If I need it, either use the generator or honda generator depending upon level of water.
Cost about $89.00 from Home Depot. Hose goes out the porthole.
This is exactly what I did. Quick and easy to drop into any bilge compartment and run the hose out a portlight. Plug it in and let it rip. Runs off inverter until you can get the genset going.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 13:43   #13

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

A good solution, assuming you still have power, is this:

https://www.mcmaster.com/42805K41/

At 48 GPM, that will buy you some time to stop the inflow. And a small Honda trash pump is great if someone can find a completely sealed container to store it in to keep it safe from corrosion.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 13:54   #14

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmojo View Post
This is exactly what I did. Quick and easy to drop into any bilge compartment and run the hose out a portlight. Plug it in and let it rip. Runs off inverter until you can get the genset going.
I consider the sump pump as a disposable item and didn't want a trash pump or something that will disintegrate over time. Great minds,
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 17:47   #15

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Check out Northern Equipment on line, they have a lot of all types of pumps. I had a 3” Homelite 2 stroke pump that would pump enormous amounts of water. Good that you’re thinking ahead for a possible holing, also consider water egress abatement items that can slow that flow way down.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water