Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2014, 22:36   #1

Long term cruising in Asia and boat storage/security

In my search for ways to afford long term cruising I am considering my options for leaving a boat in marinas in Asia. The boat would be a 40 foot cat.

Essentially, the plan would involve going on a rally from Australia to Indonesia, then cruising around Asia for approx 6 months.

I would then like to leave the boat in a safe marina while I return to Australia for a month to work, then return to the boat for a week, and back and forth. Sometimes I may spend a bit more time either working in Australia or sailing in Asia, work permitting.

After back and forth for perhaps 6 months I would return and cruise full time for approx 12 months then start again.

The philippines really interests me, however I'm not sure off the safety of the boat while I'm gone, and typhoons are pretty common there. Indonesia would be very handy as flights to Australia are cheap/quick and there is great surf there. Otherwise, I would like to sail around most parts of Asia when I have more time up my sleeve. Langkowi also seems like a good place to leave the boat.

I would only look to leave my boat in first class types of marinas which would still be pretty cheap compared to australian marinas, I'm just hoping the security would be good enough to walk away?

I would obviously have boat insurance, however I'm not sure how effective that would be if I am out of the country.

Has anyone had any experience leaving a boat at a marina for 1-2 months unattended? I would be happy to pay someone to look after it, keep it clean and ready for me to sail away on my return.
Moonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 01:10   #2

Boat: Stevens 47
Re: Long term cruising in Asia and boat storage/security

We've been cruising parts of SE Asia for the last 2 years. Indonesia is great for cruising, but thin on marina facilities; and the CAIT requirement is restrictive. Many people leave their boats in in Malaysia and Thailand (Phuket). In Malaysia: Puteri Harbor Marina, Port Dickson Marina, Rebak Marina (Langkawi), Telaga Harbor Marina (Langkawi), Miri Marina (Borneo), Sutera Harbor Marina (Borneo) are all nice and totally safe options. I don't know the Phuket Marinas as well, but there are several options. Most if not all will have people (yachties or locals) that you can hire to look after the boat.
svTOTEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 15:11   #3

Thanks for the info. Bit of a shame indo cait requirements are such a hassle.

Does anyone have any numbers to share for leaving boats for a couple of months and looked after in Asia?
Moonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 16:08   #4

Ive had two boats in Asia for over 6 years now. Latest one is in Yacht Haven, Phuket. If you think you are going to save money on pen fees, think again. Berthing rates are higher than what we pay here in Perth. The haul-out fees are almost double as well.
IF you are taking a boat up there, plan on only hauling once every two years, so put plenty of extra anti-foul on and then you scrub at each anchorage or pay one of the locals to do it.
I have been in most of the marina's on the west peninsular of Malaysia and Indonesia, Rebak is the best to leave it at long term, also the cheapest and the most secure. 45 foot boat it was around $650 AUD a month including running an Aircon on a timer... A MUST.
you must also then consider having someone look after the boat, the sun and rain will destroy the top-sides and have you heart broken upon your return.

We get to our boat maybe twice a year... its worth it as a relaxer, but constantly has me questioning the cost.

If you want a CHEAP and somewhat SAFE alternative. Go see Rahmad at Hole In the Wall in Langkawi, we left our boat with him for 6 months on a mooring for $200 a month... he really looks after them.
Coxswain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 18:39   #5

Boat: hr352

We have left our home/yacht unattended in medana bay-lombok, kudat & miri marina, straits quay marina-penang, hole in the wall, telaga & rebak-langkawi and i've left clients delivery vessels in langkawi yacht club, royal phuket and boat lagoon phuket.
Security wise we have never had an issue but our yacht would not be the first chosen by a thief due to her small size and scruffy look. Generally in asia you are considered rich to be on a yacht and so the marina charges are not as cheap as you would expect and first class marinas charge a premium. Most cruisers either put up or downgrade their marina requirements. Our main criteria for selection was good protection, low/no theft and a good location for services and travel connections.
In our experience the malaysian and indonesian marinas are cheaper than the thai ones although the facilities in malaysia can be more basic but then you get what you pay for. Sutera Marina-kk, Nongsa point and/marina del ray-lombok i would also consider. Marina del ray has better protection than medana bay but it's more isolated depending on what you need.
The indonesian cait issue is not a problem as long as you clear into a harbour that frequently clears sailing yachts. We cleared into lombok and had no end of problems but it was our own fault (we had time constraints) and i thought i would save time clearing there. In the end it would have been quicker and cheaper to have cleared in bali. So dont write indonesia off as it's a great cruising ground with generally cooler weather (along the timor to java island chain) than malaysia and clear waters which is hard to find in malaysia unless you go to the east coast islands which have few safe marinas.
Cost wise the malaysian marinas are all roughly the same price but the borneo and/or 5 star ones are more expensive. Nongsa semmed good value long term and i personally would consider leaving my yacht there for a while..
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Asia, cruising, long term cruising, security, storage