Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: do you plan to have a liferaft on your boat when heading out to cruise?
yes 182 65.23%
no 97 34.77%
Voters: 279. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2017, 23:36   #421

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Liferaft: Yes or No

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingeggs View Post
I have heard that life rafts in Europe / everywhere else are cheaper than in the US. Here I can't seem to find one for less than $2k.

What is the reason for this? Are there higher certification standards in the US that push the price up? Normally, we are on the cheaper side.
Take your pick, if you can get the 20% VAT off it might even pay to import it.

https://www.marinesuperstore.com/liferafts-mob

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:26   #422
CLOD

Boat: none

the poll results appear to be the reverse of direct observation, must be a big difference between typing and cruising
Old 10-04-2017, 05:42   #423

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

These folks are glad they had a life raft

https://www.google.com/amp/wfla.com/...tal-river/amp/
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:22   #424

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Quote:
The only reason you wouldn't have one is if you didn't want to spend the money.
There are other reasons. Our's is the physical requirements to deploy & then climb into a raft. IF it could be done, it could only be done in the most benign conditions.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:31   #425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Chicken View Post
There are other reasons. Our's is the physical requirements to deploy & then climb into a raft. IF it could be done, it could only be done in the most benign conditions.

And the alternatives are?

I'm not getting your point. Lash the tether to a rail, throw it overboard, pull it to the boat and jump in. If you end up in the water, most rafts have as good of a boarding ladder as anything else.

So the alternative is to stay in the water?
Old 10-04-2017, 06:40   #426

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
the poll results appear to be the reverse of direct observation, must be a big difference between typing and cruising
I lot of people carry their life raft in a valise belowdecks.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:43   #427

The alternative is to quit sailing. We continue to do so, but we do so recognizing there are risks associated with one physically handicapped skipper and one small crew member.

The raft weights about as much as I do--I would be hard pressed to get it out of the locker. The captain can't even get to the locker. If I could deploy it, he would be hard pressed to get into it. You don't just 'jump in'. I likely could climb in... in reasonable conditions.

I would very much like to have a raft for emergencies; I just need to be believe it would be useful. i would also like to have a dinghy, but we don't anymore because the captain can't get in and out of it.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:32   #428
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I think a lot of it is people not want to go against the flow, and then be chastised for doing so.
I won't likely have a life raft until we strike out for SoPac, if we make it that far, then if funds allow, may procure one
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:01   #429

Boat: Westerly Sealord

As of 'just now' in Puerto Montt.... no liferaft = no zarpe
Old 10-04-2017, 08:47   #430

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
As of 'just now' in Puerto Montt.... no liferaft = no zarpe
pls explain a bit more. Again a government trying to dictate what foreign vessels should have

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:45   #431

Quote:
The alternative is to quit sailing. We continue to do so, but we do so recognizing there are risks associated with one physically handicapped skipper and one small crew member.

The raft weights about as much as I do--I would be hard pressed to get it out of the locker. The captain can't even get to the locker. If I could deploy it, he would be hard pressed to get into it. You don't just 'jump in'. I likely could climb in... in reasonable conditions.

I would very much like to have a raft for emergencies; I just need to be believe it would be useful. i would also like to have a dinghy, but we don't anymore because the captain can't get in and out of it.
Understand the dilemma. Fwiw, the Winslow offshore ultra light 4 person is only 32 lbs.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:57   #432

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
pls explain a bit more. Again a government trying to dictate what foreign vessels should have

BR Teddy
Their waters, their rules... think 'Port State' rather than 'Flag State'

It tends to be down to the Port Captain... they just appointed a new one a month or so back...

Most foreign boats departing from here are either heading south or out into a rather empty part of the Pacific... and Chile takes its SAR obligations very seriously.
Some port captains are keen on insurance, some on flares, some just aren't fussed....
Old 10-04-2017, 13:03   #433
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Howdy Prairie Chicken.

You are probably aware of what follows, but since you mentioned a possible limitation to using a life raft, and that may be something that affects more sailors or cruisers or people who anticipate cruising despite advanced age or some type of physical limitations, I would like to offer the following for this thread.

Your comments simply prompted my thinking of this possible solution for anyone who feels lifting a heavy life raft would be difficult for them or their crew.

In that case, due to the mobility or physical limitation of one and/or limited strength of the second crew, the solution I would choose would be to have a stern mount "on the rail" or hull mounting of a hard case life raft, with a very easy to deploy hard shell case.

These use gravity to deploy the raft. No lifting anything.

One simply pulls a pin or cut through a strap or lashing or pull a shackle pin to open and let the raft fall to the water (it should be tied on already) and then you can board from the stern or side of your boat.

That is what I would have for a few reasons. Here are two that I think apply in this case, given your earlier comments:

1. Anyone can pull the pin (or cut the strap or lashing) to deploy, no great strength needed.
2. The raft is deployed in seconds!

Here are a few photos to show you how these can be mounted, (some on hull, some on pushpit, some on railing on side).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3468.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	260.1 KB
ID:	145091   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3469.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	145092  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3470.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	145093   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3471.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	145094  

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 13:06   #434

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

UNCLOS allows for port states to perform safety inspections. Coastal states too under some conditions I believe.

The internationally recognized safety standards for commercial vessels are a lot better spelled out than for recreational vessels.

That leaves things somewhat nebulous for recreation vessels and most port states don't push it but that doesn't immunize us completely from safety inspection from those that choose to.

NZ pushed too hard 15-20yr ago and lost in their own courts of O recall correctly. After they are are more judicious in what they push.

Chile is pushing now and it will take their own courts to get them to back off.

The reason both pushed is that too many unprepared sailors have started showing up. Both areas have become popular destinations and both are fairly difficult to sail in. Also both countries care enough about mariners to maintain significant search rescue operations and don't like paying to rescue folks that are woefully unprepared and in inadequate vessels.

It's not like the Indonesian CG where I've that when the USCG called with an EPRIB report in their waters they used to say, "So, we don't even mount searches for our own people, why should we look for yours?" I don't know if that's still the case.

Whatever, SAR is costing Chile so they are going to exercise their authority UNCLOS and maybe then some to minimize their costs from foreign visitors. I doubt that there are enough visiting cruisers paying taxes in any given year to pay for much more than 1 SAR operation.

I don't like it but I see where their coming from and that they do have some legal legs to stand on.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 13:11   #435

That's a much better solution Steady Hand. Thanks. Our raft is expired & we had decided not to renew it due to the weight & access issues I'd raised above. It would seem more research is necessary.

Tags
liferaft